Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heated Windscreen

Ok, I know that I'm probably going to be inundated with comments, but why oh why doesn't Lexus have heated windscreens?

I've got an NX300h F Sport with Premier Pack and its got most options (some I haven't even used yet) but no heated screen. I had to replace the windscreen recently and was told that there isn't a heated screen option as a replacement. 

In such a prestige car, I would have thought by now that this would be either a standard feature or at least an option.

Any Patents should have run out by now I would have thought. My Land Rover Discovery Sport had one, so did some of the Merc's we've had. Even my little Mini Clubman has a heated windscreen which is such a useful thing to have especially at this time of year.

Any idea's?

1 minute ago, 61babes said:

Any idea's?

Yes fully agree, I can only assume Lexus / Toyota is not prepared to pay for the license.

Car manufacturer's don't generally make their own windscreens anyway, so I am sure could be easily adopted by the supplier who must be making them for other manufacturers.

The Ford patent expired in 2011, so any manufacturer can use the technology termed Quickclear (Instaclear in North America). Apparently RR was the first to use it way back in the '60s. Very few USA Ford model have it, there doesn't seem much interest! Most EU Fords can be spec'd with it and are really  common.

I had the heated screen in my Alhambra (built on the same production line as the Galaxy and Sharan)  back early '90s, fantastic and have missed it ever since moving to Mercedes cars. Only the Special Protection Mercs could be optioned with Quickclear screen.

If it were optioned on the Lexus, I'd have it in a blink of the eye...

Vehicles That Use Heated Windscreen Technology

• Ford Motor Company
  • Land/Range Rover
  • Jaguar
  • Volkswagen
  • Vauxhall
  • Aston Martin
  • Skoda
  • Mini
  • Nissan
  • SEAT

Yes fully agree that it is disappointing and I expected that my new NX would have this option as I previously enjoyed this on Ford's that I have owned. 

Toyota have a solution within their group and it’s a good one.  The humble Daihatsu Terios has a thin film heated screen.  It’s better than the Ford option because it is literally a film of conductor so thin you can’t see it.  However, as our screen has the DAB antenna embedded in it that might not be an option.  

The NX does have a heated element option that is intended to defrost the wipers and build up of snow.  Standard on many bog standard Mazda CX-5s.  Anybody with a Takumi, just have a look under the wipers just in case it’s included.  

my old and ancient Ls400 rapidly blows swathes of hot air very well onto the windscreen ............. isn't that enough technology for most !

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

my old and ancient Ls400 rapidly blows swathes of hot air very well onto the windscreen ............. isn't that enough technology for most !

Malc

Do you remember back in the day when you could buy them to stick in your rear window, and they would always turn yellow after a year!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Malc

Does this model have an auxiliary, electric, heating element in the climate system?  

22 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Do you remember back in the day

Don't remember them turning yellow .  unless that was from the nicotine smoke effect :unsure:

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Don't remember them turning yellow .  unless that was from the nicotine smoke effect :unsure:

Malc

Maybe it was, most people, including me smoked then!

My memory may be playing tricks, but I seem to remember that when I spec'd my last BMW X3 I could choose either the heated windscreen or heads-up display but not both. I assumed it was to do with the projection of the HUD to the windscreen. Possibly the elements in the screen would be incompatible with the HUD?

looks to be " cloud " based so it possibly will .....  can't remember who controls iCloud tho' ......  is it amazon, Microsoft, apple, Google ......... or maybe even Tesla these days .............. 

could be " Anonymous " even .  they seem to have much control of all Peoples' Data however secure one may think it to be .....  eh Mr Poo-tin :whistling:

Malc

sorry, we've digressed form the Heated Windscreen conundrum  .....  back 11 basiks plkease

On 4/2/2022 at 12:32 PM, Spock66 said:

Yes fully agree, I can only assume Lexus / Toyota is not prepared to pay for the license.

Car manufacturer's don't generally make their own windscreens anyway, so I am sure could be easily adopted by the supplier who must be making them for other manufacturers.

My is250 has a heated window to defrost the wipers.

53 minutes ago, markeyszoo said:

My is250 has a heated window to defrost the wipers.

I think you will find it is only heated along the small area the wipers occupy when parked. The rest of the screen is unheated.

• Like 1

More and more manufacturers are moving away from it nowadays.

VW had come out with a solution which had no wires but they only did it briefly. 

My Jaguar XE-S had it and I got used to it after a couple of weeks but it gave horrific glare at night due to the wires inside it. 

I dont really miss it - takes less than 5 minutes to scrape a windscreen and its even easier with a glass coating on

18 hours ago, rayaans said:

My Jaguar XE-S had it and I got used to it after a couple of weeks but it gave horrific glare at night due to the wires inside it. 

My current wife has had a number of Fords with the heated screen and I found that it did take some getting used to especially at night as you say. It was useful for saving scraping on the three or four occasions each year it was required.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, 61babes said:

Ok, I know that I'm probably going to be inundated with comments, but why oh why doesn't Lexus have heated windscreens?

I've got an NX300h F Sport with Premier Pack and its got most options (some I haven't even used yet) but no heated screen. I had to replace the windscreen recently and was told that there isn't a heated screen option as a replacement. 

In such a prestige car, I would have thought by now that this would be either a standard feature or at least an option.

Any Patents should have run out by now I would have thought. My Land Rover Discovery Sport had one, so did some of the Merc's we've had. Even my little Mini Clubman has a heated windscreen which is such a useful thing to have especially at this time of year.

Any idea's?

A heated front screen was on my highly desirable list too. I was a little concerned that I would see the wires or it would affect GPS but after 4 winters with the Ford screen, I can say my fears were unfounded.

My Lexus dealer pointed out that the My Room feature (pages 78 and 101 of the 450h+ Owner's Manual) allows the air conditioning, seats and steering wheel to operate whilst the vehicle is connected to external power so I figured that this would go a long way to having the car ready to drive away early on a winter's morning. Sadly, I haven't taken delivery of my car yet so this is just a theory!

Page 261 talks of a windshield wiper de-icer activated by selecting the [Deicer] switch on the option screen. My dealer wasn't aware of this feature but hopefully it will be present and be useful.

My understanding is that heated front screen technology and HUD technology were incompatible when they first started to appear. More recent technological solutions have meant that the two can operate side-by-side these days, if they have been designed to from the outset. My suspicion is that the solutions are not advanced enough yet for Lexus to offer them both with the reliability and perfection we appreciate in the brand.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I've had my 450h+ for about 6 weeks now and for the first time I used the App to set Climate Control before climbing into the car. It had been charging overnight so the car was still plugged in. I set the temperature to 21 degrees for 15 minutes and climbed into a lovely warm car. No ice about but I'm sure all my windows would have been cleared had there been a heavy frost and all without the need for a heated windscreen. Happy.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

I've had my 450h+ for about 6 weeks now and for the first time I used the App to set Climate Control before climbing into the car. It had been charging overnight so the car was still plugged in. I set the temperature to 21 degrees for 15 minutes and climbed into a lovely warm car. No ice about but I'm sure all my windows would have been cleared had there been a heavy frost and all without the need for a heated windscreen. Happy.

This, to me , is the biggest positive for the plug-in models. 👍

• Like 1

Not an issue really.
Car kept in one of the garages over night.
If it's a frosty morning I just send one of my many plebs out into the cold.

Being Lexus owners, drivers of such prestigious motor vehicles and generally all round discerning folk, that we all would have plebs for the mundane duties of the day.
Don't tell me that they now allow the common folk to buy into our brand? 

• Haha 2