Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

61.41mpg on ES300h in 880km journey!

Gearoidmuar

That's what was reported. I think you could (from previous proper test, empty to empty vs reported consumption in previous IS300h) take 3mpg off this. It's still amazing. Car is ES300h 2019 model.

I heard an Irish chap living in England and working for Honda, talk about how to save fuel and he said to reduce speed on the motorway, and generally, and that modest enough reductions can have a big effect, as well as usual coasting, easy on pedals etc. I normally do the latter but tend to drive at speed limit on motorways.
I had to drive this distance in the last three days. About a third was motorway. Here in Ireland Limit is 120kph (75mph) so I drove this at 65mph, and on good secondary roads, the limit is 100kph (62) so I tended to keep that at about 55 ish. Some of the roads were poorish country roads, a bit up and down and drove them at appropriate speeds. The temp was up to 12c. Car contained myself and my wife and some suitcases. I'm over 13st and she's about a slim woman of about 5'5".
I never accelerate hard unless it's appropriate.
My usual consumption is usually over 50mpg in town or country.

• Like 3

That’s a metric/imperial mix for sure, converting your 880kms to miles is 547 miles so truly impressive.

The only time my old Celsior got above 25MPG was on the back of a recovery truck. 😀

It would be somewhat rude to convert your weight to Kgs so I’m not going there 😀

• Haha 2

I have had over 60mpg on a quite a few reasonably long journeys, economy wasn’t the main reason for buying an ES but it certainly is impressive for such a large car

14 hours ago, b4u2 said:

@Derant

More comfortable than all the other Lexus models?

More comfortable than my old IS and a couple of UX courtesy cars, test drove an RX which was also comfortable, not driven any others 

Welcome to the club, nice to see a confirmation from a fellow member 🚗

as for accuracy, I've found reported to be pretty spot on; no more than a 1MPG difference, usually less. Either my local is giving more fuel than it says or yours other way around. I make sure to fill from the same local and same pump twice in a row to do that calculation, otherwise shut off varies widely.

Out of interest what fuel do you guys run on, and is there a noticeable difference in either economy or performance if you switch between regular and premium? 

We are coming out of two cars in to one. The 1.6T (200) in the Astra is a completely different animal on premium than regular. I can easily get an extra 4-5mpg out of it and it runs a whole lot smoother. It isn't surprising as the book recommends premium for that engine. Whereas my wives Swift 1.2 (83) is negligible, you might get 0.5mpg if you are lucky and there is zero difference in performance. 

2 hours ago, Marko89 said:

Out of interest what fuel do you guys run on, and is there a noticeable difference in either economy or performance if you switch between regular and premium?

I use E10, I had an IS prior to the ES and never noticed any difference when E5 was replaced with E10, in fact I thought economy got a bit better

Betsy and I are halfway through a trip from Peterborough to Derby and back today. We went the country way - Stamford, Oakham, Melton Mowbray etc and saw an indicated 51mpg when we arrived at the destination. Much fun was had, despite Betsy not being a drivers car, but more of a premium taxi/airport transfer vehicle. This point was reinforced just outside Melton Mowbray when we passed another ES coming in the opposite direction. This one was a taxi. No doubt it was returning from East Midlands airport with a fare.

• Haha 1

Funny how the "not a drivers car" has more driver legroom than the LS, actually any of the lineup iirc. I should really look into getting a CDL. 😁

5 hours ago, Mincey said:

Betsy and I are halfway through a trip from Peterborough to Derby and back today. We went the country way - Stamford, Oakham, Melton Mowbray etc and saw an indicated 51mpg when we arrived at the destination. Much fun was had, despite Betsy not being a drivers car, but more of a premium taxi/airport transfer vehicle. This point was reinforced just outside Melton Mowbray when we passed another ES coming in the opposite direction. This one was a taxi. No doubt it was returning from East Midlands airport with a fare.

I go between Stamford and derby a couple of times a week and always enjoy the journey despite it not being a drivers car, I have seen a silver ES taxi a few times on the A43/A47 around Stamford.

also read it isn’t a real Lexus despite being in its 7th generation with the 1st generation being launched along with the original LS…..oh and the second best selling Lexus globally of all time!!

• 2 months later...

Hi

Covid has changed the number of medium to long drives which we take. Consequently I haven’t got figures to prove any improvement in fuel consumption for the ES when using V max or similar. However my experience with 2 previous cars (Honda Civics (1 diesel+1petrol) suggests that the extra cost is at least balanced by improved consumption. Difficult to decide if my right foot knows what fuel is in the car and adds a bias.

According to Honest John, the extra additives should help to keep the engine in good nick. Does this apply to Atkinson cycle motors? I don’t fully understand the Toyota versions.

Taking both factors into account, I try to use the higher octane stuff. Not always available though and some filling stations have a ludicrous price differential.

Incidentally, are manufacturers allowed to put in high octane fuel for official fuel consumption tests. Do they? Are there any controlled comparisons available?

Just back from doing the guts of 1000 miles from Glasgow down the coast to Cairnryan and then anticlockwise around Ireland to Westport, before cutting back across the middle and back up to the north of Dublin. Most our drives were roughly 2 hours, one thing I noticed was the economy just kept climbing and climbing the longer the trip. 

Most of the time we were returning c56-58mpg. The Irish speed limits absolutely suit the car jumping between 80-100kph on the main A road equivalents. In the flatter central belt however we had this stellar run between Center Parcs Longford and the Battle of the Boyne Museum. (Travel tip: we wanted to see the Neolithic stuff around Newgrange but, it was all fully booked well in advance!) Our average speed was killed by a couple of longish waits for roadworks.

Managed that running with A/C on (set at 19.5), cruise control and running on regular 95 as our tank of V Power was long gone by then.

Screenshot_20220610-211034.png

51 minutes ago, Marko89 said:

one thing I noticed was the economy just kept climbing and climbing the longer the trip

Exactly what I've reported too! I've found it peaks around the 250-300 mile mark.

• 2 weeks later...

I have joined the 60+ club this week on a short journey on which I met a blue Fsport in the opposite direction near Aylesbury. 
Aiming for 65 now.

40179DFB-70CD-4952-B655-0BFAFFC9E7AC.png

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 9:18 AM, Tonyw said:

I have joined the 60+ club this week...

Ehm... 😐

IMG_4378.thumb.jpeg.400c5b7d6a66eab9fafaaec32a3469c1.jpeg

That specific 3.1 mi to Sainsbury's regularly shows 80+ mpg (EDIT: in warm months only) and this one was exceptional !

Edited by e-yes
more info

On 4/4/2022 at 8:50 PM, Gearoidmuar said:

That's what was reported. I think you could (from previous proper test, empty to empty vs reported consumption in previous IS300h) take 3mpg off this. It's still amazing. Car is ES300h 2019 model.

I heard an Irish chap living in England and working for Honda, talk about how to save fuel and he said to reduce speed on the motorway, and generally, and that modest enough reductions can have a big effect, as well as usual coasting, easy on pedals etc. I normally do the latter but tend to drive at speed limit on motorways.
I had to drive this distance in the last three days. About a third was motorway. Here in Ireland Limit is 120kph (75mph) so I drove this at 65mph, and on good secondary roads, the limit is 100kph (62) so I tended to keep that at about 55 ish. Some of the roads were poorish country roads, a bit up and down and drove them at appropriate speeds. The temp was up to 12c. Car contained myself and my wife and some suitcases. I'm over 13st and she's about a slim woman of about 5'5".
I never accelerate hard unless it's appropriate.
My usual consumption is usually over 50mpg in town or country.

Okay, reports here are truly incredible. That's a big car. I don't really get much better than 45mpg for full tanks in my IS300h, although I'm often not easy, but even if I wanted to optimize consumption on long summer journeys, I don't think anything more than high 40s or low 50s would be realistic unless going to the extreme of hiding behind slipstreams and doing 60 on As and Ms.

Does anyone know how, if, the ES300h powertrain has been upgraded from the IS300h? Is it a bigger or perhaps more powerful Battery pack? The ECU optimized more? The Atkinson engine is even more fuel efficient?

On 6/26/2022 at 8:55 PM, e-yes said:

Ehm... 😐

IMG_4378.thumb.jpeg.400c5b7d6a66eab9fafaaec32a3469c1.jpeg

That specific 3.1 mi to Sainsbury's regularly shows 80+ mpg (EDIT: in warm months only) and this one was exceptional !

Can I ask where you get that info from? My 'Lexus Link' app doesn't show 'EV time' or 'EV distance' but does show 'Hard braking' and 'Hard acceleration'.

3 hours ago, DBIZO said:

Okay, reports here are truly incredible. That's a big car. I don't really get much better than 45mpg for full tanks in my IS300h, although I'm often not easy, but even if I wanted to optimize consumption on long summer journeys, I don't think anything more than high 40s or low 50s would be realistic unless going to the extreme of hiding behind slipstreams and doing 60 on As and Ms.

Does anyone know how, if, the ES300h powertrain has been upgraded from the IS300h? Is it a bigger or perhaps more powerful battery pack? The ECU optimized more? The Atkinson engine is even more fuel efficient?

Just gone from Reading, Berkshire to Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria in my IS 300h (with wife, dog and boot full of luggage - including a stop off near York to see family) - cruised the motorways at true 70mph (on dash that's 75mph) and stuck to speed limits of A roads. Average for the journey on the trip computer is 55mpg. This is using Sainsbury's Super Unleaded that in the past few months I have found is giving me some 10% better mpg than Sainsbury’s E10 - and the Super Unleaded only costs about 5% more than their E10 too. 

42 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Just gone from Reading, Berkshire to Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria in my IS 300h (with wife, dog and boot full of luggage - including a stop off near York to see family) - cruised the motorways at true 70mph (on dash that's 75mph) and stuck to speed limits of A roads. Average for the journey on the trip computer is 55mpg. This is using Sainsbury's Super Unleaded that in the past few months I have found is giving me some 10% better mpg than Sainsbury’s E10 - and the Super Unleaded only costs about 5% more than their E10 too. 

That's excellent. I'll fuel up on Esso's ethanol free (there is a list somewhere on which supermarkets may sell it too), and give it a go. Have you done any fuel system cleaning lately, with that additive you can buy? Also, is it 225/45 R17 tyres? Now I want to see 50+ mpg in the summer...

Still, consumption reported here seems beyond what the IS300h powertrain is designed for. I found that the ES300h uses what Toyota calls fourth generation Lexus hybrid drive, and the Atkinson engine is a new generation with higher compression and thermal efficiency rating. I'll try to find out how the electrical subsystem may differ. It is quite disappointing that Lexus pretty much abandoned the sedan category, and not even the ES has a plug-in option should someone want a city-friendly version. One can only hope they will bring something like an IS or GS to the market with a 20-mile electric range, that would be the sweet spot.