Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

61.41mpg on ES300h in 880km journey!

Gearoidmuar

10 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

Can I ask where you get that info from? My 'Lexus Link' app doesn't show 'EV time' or 'EV distance' but does show 'Hard braking' and 'Hard acceleration'.

When the app opens, you would see the screen with map which has that Hard Breaking and Acceleration icons.

Below that Map you should see something like this...

IMG_4694.thumb.jpeg.eb7680eebafd018b44f77598a804de50.jpeg

Here, tap on the part of the view which shows EV NON-EV.

This will load the details of that trip, a map will load again with the same details as earlier but you should also see the following near the bottom of the map.

IMG_4695.thumb.jpeg.d91ab476ac66c824c4e1d72dde89a00b.jpeg

Again, this looks very similar to the previous screen but note that faint grey line below EV NON-EV as highlighted by the red rectangle.

You need to tap and drag that faint grey line upwards.

That should reveal all the details.

I am on Iphone with iOS 15.5.

--E

11 hours ago, DBIZO said:

Does anyone know how, if, the ES300h powertrain has been upgraded from the IS300h? Is it a bigger or perhaps more powerful battery pack? The ECU optimized more? The Atkinson engine is even more fuel efficient?

IS 300h Engine Code 2AR-FXE

ES 300h Engine Code : A25A-FXS

The engines in IS and ES are surely different but both are Atkinson Cycle and the FXS engine is newer and evidently appears to be better optimised towards fuel economy. A car this size and weight should show much worse fuel consumption on Petrol but it doesn't. The IS is a RWD platform so that may be a reason as well ?

I have been doing regular 200 mile round trips and somehow not been able to beat the Lexus quoted figures by much (although I did post that screenshot of 100mpg as well)

As mentioned by other members, it is possible to achieve better figures over longer miles. In summers, a trip to the beach on a lovely day is surely 60+ mpg as that invariably involves some heavy traffic which means using break regen and spending higher percentage in EV mode.

A regular early morning smooth flow 100 mile one side trip borders 55mpg overall as there is less breaking, less break regen. I break that trip into two parts where the first 80 miles are mostly motorway. That trip in the Lexus App shows about 53mpg. That 53mpg is likely the true mpg of that Atkinson Cycle petrol engine I think as the part of getting from driveway to motorway doesn't see much EV action (cold engine, cold cabin, Battery state etc)

The next 20 miles after a break at the services is mostly town and a lot of stop and go. That part of the trip in the Lexus App invariably reads 60+ mpg.

All said and done, in the one year of ownership from January 2021 till January 2022, the Lexus App showed 48.5mpg over approximately 7500 miles.

I guess when I check in January  2023, the readout should be better as during this year there are more miles done over longer trips.

Food for thought... I had a 2016 Mazda6 2.0l Petrol Manual 165PS from brand new for a short period and that engine had the super-capacitor based iE-loop system. On that car, I could manage close to 49mpg with three adults and two kids on a longish trip... what gives 😕 ?

Especially in UK, Mazda is the best kept secret ever. They make some fine cars. (The only Japanese brand to have won a LeMan only to have their rotary engine banned for LeMan by the powers that be 😞 )

--E

9 hours ago, DBIZO said:

That's excellent. I'll fuel up on Esso's ethanol free (there is a list somewhere on which supermarkets may sell it too), and give it a go. Have you done any fuel system cleaning lately, with that additive you can buy? Also, is it 225/45 R17 tyres? Now I want to see 50+ mpg in the summer...

Still, consumption reported here seems beyond what the IS300h powertrain is designed for. I found that the ES300h uses what Toyota calls fourth generation Lexus hybrid drive, and the Atkinson engine is a new generation with higher compression and thermal efficiency rating. I'll try to find out how the electrical subsystem may differ. It is quite disappointing that Lexus pretty much abandoned the sedan category, and not even the ES has a plug-in option should someone want a city-friendly version. One can only hope they will bring something like an IS or GS to the market with a 20-mile electric range, that would be the sweet spot.

I'm sure ESSO super unleaded will give improved mpg over their E10 but it's also a lot more expensive then their E10 so in that case may not work out more cost effective - with Sainsbury’s fuel the Super Unleaded is more cost effective as it's not too much more expensive than their E10. 

My car has just under 120k miles on it and simply been serviced by Lexus on schedule - so nothing special. I have 225/45 R17 tyres. 

Agreed it's a real shame there is no more IS in the UK. Looks like I'll be keeping mine for a while longer... 

12 hours ago, e-yes said:

When the app opens, you would see the screen with map which has that Hard Breaking and Acceleration icons.

Below that Map you should see something like this...

IMG_4694.thumb.jpeg.eb7680eebafd018b44f77598a804de50.jpeg

Here, tap on the part of the view which shows EV NON-EV.

This will load the details of that trip, a map will load again with the same details as earlier but you should also see the following near the bottom of the map.

IMG_4695.thumb.jpeg.d91ab476ac66c824c4e1d72dde89a00b.jpeg

Again, this looks very similar to the previous screen but note that faint grey line below EV NON-EV as highlighted by the red rectangle.

You need to tap and drag that faint grey line upwards.

That should reveal all the details.

I am on iPhone with iOS 15.5.

--E

Thanks for that, however I don't get that EV-Non EV info on my android phone. I wonder if it's an Iphone thing only?

1 hour ago, beyond the blue said:

Thanks for that, however I don't get that EV-Non EV info on my android phone. I wonder if it's an iPhone thing only?

That’s odd. Maybe it is an iOS vs Android thing.

Have you logged in to your Lexus Online account and checked there ? The same info is available there as well. 

If it is missing there too then probably best thing is to check with the dealer ? Maybe some setup step is missing.

HTH

—E

I have driven the entire length of Germany to Denmark on the autobahn several times in the RC300h (in both the 2019 and 2016 models), taking advantage of the absence of speed limits on long stretches where I aim to maintain a minimum cruising speed of 160kmh (100mph), this being a level I feel I can manage for long periods without straining my faculties.  Depending on weather, traffic, roadworks etc., and the speed limits around cities, my average speed for the whole drive hovers around 110-115kmh (68-71mph) with fuel consumption, measured brim-to-brim, of 12.5-14.0km/l (36-39mpg).  Subsequent stays in Denmark also involve mainly motorway driving but with fairly strict adherence to the local limit of 110kmh (68mph) relieved by rare and relatively short 130kmh (80mph) stretches.  Here, I average 90-100kmh (56-62mph), achieving far greater constancies of speed than in Germany, with an overall consumption of around 17km/l (48mpg) inclusive of occasional peaks of 19.5km/l (55mpg) on some long drives.

Although these consumption figures are specific to the RC I would imagine that the percentage differences between German- and Danish-type scenarios would also apply to other Lexus models with the same or similar powertrain or more recent evolutions thereof.  That better consumption results from lower and more constant speeds is hardly surprising.  What is surprising is the prospectively very large margin for economising illustrated by the above figures and underlined by reports in this thread of spectacularly good results obtained by the ES simply by sticking to speed limits.  Were I to discipline myself to habitually driving no faster than is permitted or is strictly necessary without feeling as though I am driving a crock, I would save a hell of a lot of fuel and money and might even learn to derive some satisfaction from it.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, beyond the blue said:

Thanks for that, however I don't get that EV-Non EV info on my android phone. I wonder if it's an iPhone thing only?

I get all the EV info on android (Samsung A71) although it can be fiddly swiping up to open the info.

23 minutes ago, Derant said:

I get all the EV info on android (Samsung A71) although it can be fiddly swiping up to open the info.

Nah! Can't get any of that info no matter how l try. I either can't or don't know how you even manage to screenshot your info page on here. No info on my PC either in 'My Lexus'.

18 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

Nah! Can't get any of that info no matter how l try. I either can't or don't know how you even manage to screenshot your info page on here. No info on my PC either in 'My Lexus'.

I only started getting the EV info at the weekend after I added more details to the account. When you open the profile tab it should have a completion status percentage just under your name. Mine was around 50% before adding personal details and address, now it is at 86%. Which seems to have been enough to open a couple of new functions. (Google Pixel 5 for reference). 

On 7/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, Rabbers said:

I have driven the entire length of Germany to Denmark on the autobahn several times in the RC300h (in both the 2019 and 2016 models), taking advantage of the absence of speed limits on long stretches where I aim to maintain a minimum cruising speed of 160kmh (100mph), this being a level I feel I can manage for long periods without straining my faculties.  Depending on weather, traffic, roadworks etc., and the speed limits around cities, my average speed for the whole drive hovers around 110-115kmh (68-71mph) with fuel consumption, measured brim-to-brim, of 12.5-14.0km/l (36-39mpg).  Subsequent stays in Denmark also involve mainly motorway driving but with fairly strict adherence to the local limit of 110kmh (68mph) relieved by rare and relatively short 130kmh (80mph) stretches.  Here, I average 90-100kmh (56-62mph), achieving far greater constancies of speed than in Germany, with an overall consumption of around 17km/l (48mpg) inclusive of occasional peaks of 19.5km/l (55mpg) on some long drives.

Although these consumption figures are specific to the RC I would imagine that the percentage differences between German- and Danish-type scenarios would also apply to other Lexus models with the same or similar powertrain or more recent evolutions thereof.  That better consumption results from lower and more constant speeds is hardly surprising.  What is surprising is the prospectively very large margin for economising illustrated by the above figures and underlined by reports in this thread of spectacularly good results obtained by the ES simply by sticking to speed limits.  Were I to discipline myself to habitually driving no faster than is permitted or is strictly necessary without feeling as though I am driving a crock, I would save a hell of a lot of fuel and money and might even learn to derive some satisfaction from it.

We will be doing Ijmuiden to Munich in September, then pottering about the foothills in Bavaria for a couple of weeks before heading over to Dresden and back to the ferry. Will be interesting to see what we get at European motorway speeds. My last run down to Dumfries from Glasgow was just tipping over 50mpg, sitting just north of 70.

I reckon there is more to come from it as I'm running on the Factory Dunlop Sportmaxx on the front axle and Michelin Crossclimate 2s. I know it is a cardinal sin to run two different tread types, we will have a full set of the Crossclimate 2s on once back from Germany ahead of the winter. (We had a puncture and basically had to take the first decent tyres we could find due to needing the car that day.)

16 minutes ago, Marko89 said:

… I know it is a cardinal sin to run two different tread types… 

Indeed so, but I would also be a little concerned about the German police as they might consider it an offence.  They are known to skulk around motorway services, hotel car-parks etc., checking for roadworthiness.  I would suggest you check with the German Embassy or Consulate about the acceptability of mixed treads.

3 hours ago, Marko89 said:

I only started getting the EV info at the weekend after I added more details to the account. When you open the profile tab it should have a completion status percentage just under your name. Mine was around 50% before adding personal details and address, now it is at 86%. Which seems to have been enough to open a couple of new functions. (Google Pixel 5 for reference). 

Got it! I removed and reinstalled the app and it now shows the EV and non EV sections on the trip maps.

19 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Indeed so, but I would also be a little concerned about the German police as they might consider it an offence.  They are known to skulk around motorway services, hotel car-parks etc., checking for roadworthiness.  I would suggest you check with the German Embassy or Consulate about the acceptability of mixed treads.

So my understanding of the German motoring laws is that you are fine to mix Winter and Summer tyres in the summer, this is based upon my brother research as he's lived in Brandenburg for the past 5 years and took his own UK car over initially. However, in the winter you must have winter tyres on the steering axle and either winter or all season on the rear. Although the law is changing in 2024 to require full winter across both axles. Although he doesn't know anyone that doesn't run with full winters once the weather starts to change. 

2 hours ago, Marko89 said:

So my understanding of the German motoring laws is that you are fine to mix Winter and Summer tyres in the summer ….

Then it looks like you’re good to go.  Have a nice trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Just reporting back on my attempt to get strong fuel economy in a 2015 IS300h. Treated the engine to Toyota's cleaning agent first, running it almost empty, then filled up on Esso super. 

Nearly 250 miles in after a round trip, most of which was on the A3 and the M25 today, the computer-reported mpg is at 56.7. I'm chuffed. It was a good run, conditions don't get much better around here, traffic was both a curse (some standstill traffic, acceleration-breaking) and a blessing (slipstream of many cars moving in front). Theoretically it could be a little higher, but at a major compromise to pace, and absolutely no hard acceleration.

Also, clearly it cannot achieve the economy of the fourth generation hybrid powertrain of the new ES300h, but still excellent. Very impressive of Toyota/Lexus engineering, especially that they significantly improved on it still. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 5:24 PM, DBIZO said:

Just reporting back on my attempt to get strong fuel economy in a 2015 IS300h. Treated the engine to Toyota's cleaning agent first, running it almost empty, then filled up on Esso super.

Please tell me what this cleaning agent is, as Lexus here know nothing about that. Maybe asked wrong person. Is it something that is needed and for what, cleaning valves, combustion chambers or what? Long time ago when wanting to clean engine mineral water with carbon into the carburettor was used and black smoke came out of the exhaust. If it was any good I do not know.

30 minutes ago, peniole said:

I remember falling out with my dealer years ago when I had a BMW because they routinely added STP-brand injector cleaner to my tank unasked when servicing the car.  I had no technical objection but didn’t like being charged twice what I would have paid to do it myself had I chosen to do so.  I have a vague recollection of Lexus once doing the same with their own brand, i.e. Toyota, but with the difference that they asked beforehand.  They seem to have desisted in recent years, or maybe they only recommend its use at long intervals.  

On 7/1/2022 at 11:43 PM, e-yes said:

IS 300h Engine Code 2AR-FXE

ES 300h Engine Code : A25A-FXS

The engines in IS and ES are surely different but both are Atkinson Cycle and the FXS engine is newer and evidently appears to be better optimised towards fuel economy. A car this size and weight should show much worse fuel consumption on Petrol but it doesn't. The IS is a RWD platform so that may be a reason as well ?

The A25 engine series is very different to the 2AR - completely different engine series which is more efficient (up to around 41% thermal efficiency for the hybrid variant). The hybrid system is significantly upgraded too, with a lighter/smaller motor and the ability to provide electric assistance at higher speeds.

RWD of the IS does comprise efficiency somewhat but it's mainly the new engine and hybrid system that is making the difference.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Please tell me what this cleaning agent is, as Lexus here know nothing about that. Maybe asked wrong person. Is it something that is needed and for what, cleaning valves, combustion chambers or what? Long time ago when wanting to clean engine mineral water with carbon into the carburettor was used and black smoke came out of the exhaust. If it was any good I do not know.

I wish I knew enough about combustion engines to tell you what it actually does, or if it's of any discernible effect on a healthy engine. But it's inexpensive enough to be a fool. I've done this twice now, some 24k miles apart.

Lexus Petrol Fuel System Cleaner — PZ463-00PB0-04 L (lexuspartsdirect.co.uk)

24 minutes ago, DBIZO said:

I wish I knew enough about combustion engines to tell you what it actually does, or if it's of any discernible effect on a healthy engine. But it's inexpensive enough to be a fool. I've done this twice now, some 24k miles apart.

Lexus Petrol Fuel System Cleaner — PZ463-00PB0-04 L (lexuspartsdirect.co.uk)

Not to send to here as flammable items are not something for postal service. Funny Lexus here tell me they do not know of it. They care only to sell what is in stock. Will now show them a picture of it.

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, beyond the blue said:

I do on my android mobile, a Samsung Galaxy S10+.

5 hours ago, Aljaf90 said:

I had a 50 mile journey report 222mpg on the Lexus link app lol.

Seems wildly inaccurate. 

I don't bother with trip reports. Fill up to fill up is really the only accurate reading you can depend on.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 2:38 PM, Aljaf90 said:

I had a 50 mile journey report 222mpg on the Lexus link app lol.

Seems wildly inaccurate. 

I think there was a gremlin last system after the app updated, noticed a couple of people saying they had some ridiculous readings from it. Seems to have settled now. 

8 hours ago, Marko89 said:

I think there was a gremlin last system after the app updated, noticed a couple of people saying they had some ridiculous readings from it. Seems to have settled now. 

Don’t think so. App is up to date and got this score today. 

F5BDD982-A0FF-470D-AD93-16280235F0C8.thumb.png.307799f5ffe9a2694338c0a6fc37a44a.png

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links