Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450 boot opening.

Hi all, had my RX450h for 3 weeks now and love the car even though have some ongoing issues with the dealership that will hopefully be rectified once they get a new key in. One thing I'm not sure on is the opening of the boot with the remote I do have, it doesn't always work even though it has a brand new Battery in. Does the car need to be unlocked first for the remote to open it? I quite often just get a beeping sound and no opening.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:59 PM, toastie15 said:

Hi all, had my RX450h for 3 weeks now and love the car even though have some ongoing issues with the dealership that will hopefully be rectified once they get a new key in. One thing I'm not sure on is the opening of the boot with the remote I do have, it doesn't always work even though it has a brand new battery in. Does the car need to be unlocked first for the remote to open it? I quite often just get a beeping sound and no opening.

Should the dealer resolve the issue?

Presumably the issue was there when you purchased?

6 hours ago, PCM said:

Should the dealer resolve the issue?

Presumably the issue was there when you purchased?

Yes it's due to go back once they sort out a replacement key for some paint work, will mention it then. They did put a new Battery in the remote I do have but hasn't resolved it. 

• Like 1

Consider that if your car is "on" and not in P the trunk does not open because of safety rules.

If car is off and (obviously) in P the remote should work keeping the button depressed and at a reasonable distance.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still having issues someone at the dealership said it's not supposed to open the boot with the remote, all I'm getting is 2 beeps when I use the remote. The button on the dash works OK. 

4 minutes ago, toastie15 said:

I'm still having issues someone at the dealership said it's not supposed to open the boot with the remote, all I'm getting is 2 beeps when I use the remote. The button on the dash works OK. 

That person at the dealership is an idiot. I had a 3rd gen RX and it did open from the key 

Some settings for the power back door can be altered from the multi-information display (in between the power meter and speedometer) so might be worth a look in there.

Also, there's this:

image.thumb.png.52807c748ed2893373842436737b87fe.png

Got it working seems I wasn't pressing the button for long enough, not been impressed with the Lexus dealership though to be fair. Thanks for all your help. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd update, car went in for a front and rear dash cam to be fitted and they'd supposedly reprogramed the keys. Have since found that only 1 opens the boot as long as the car is fully unlocked first, going back Thursday to hopefully get sorted. Is there a way the key can be programed so it opens when car locked? 

23 minutes ago, toastie15 said:

Is there a way the key can be programed so it opens when car locked? 

No, the car has to be unlocked first.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Herbie said:

No, the car has to be unlocked first.

So to confirm, if I'm walking towards the car and can first unlock the doors with the remote and then press the boot button for it to then open? 

2 hours ago, toastie15 said:

So to confirm, if I'm walking towards the car and can first unlock the doors with the remote and then press the boot button for it to then open? 

Well, yes, but why would you do that?

My key fob (on both 2013 and 2018 RXs) has three buttons - top one is 'Lock', middle one is 'Unlock' and bottom one is for the tailgate. Press the middle one momentarily to unlock the whole car and then press and hold the bottom one to open the tailgate.

EDIT - just realised that I may have misunderstood you. I thought you meant unlock the car as you're walking to it and then press the tailgate button on the tailgate once you got there :laughing:

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

My key fob (on both 2013 and 2018 RXs) has three buttons - top one is 'Lock', middle one is 'Unlock' and bottom one is for the tailgate. Press the middle one momentarily to unlock the whole car and then press and hold the bottom one to open the tailgate.

In case I'm carrying something to the car so I can just operate the remote to get boot open. 

19 hours ago, Herbie said:

In case I'm carrying something to the car so I can just operate the remote to get boot open.