Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Fold Mirrors

Wardair

I'm sorry to report that door mirror settings don't appear to be in the customise section of Toyota Techstream for the SC430. I haven't found anything else to suggest it's an option so I think an 'add-on' control is the only solution.

62026.thumb.jpg.3869074031f0966f20e345a514c64339.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, LexusRbest said:

Have you tried pushing the fold button and lock button and your seat memory button simultaneously 

Based on your input I tried a lot of button pressing and think I found that the fold button has a memory which only results in action when the ignition key is put in and the ignition turned on. I am beginning to think that maybe the mirrors have no power until the ignition is on and might behave differently if powered via a delayed power source such as the interior illumination cct. I will have a look at wiring diagram.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LexusRbest said:

Thanks for that link in my watch list - M

18 hours ago, Wardair said:

Based on your input I tried a lot of button pressing and think I found that the fold button has a memory which only results in action when the ignition key is put in and the ignition turned on. I am beginning to think that maybe the mirrors have no power until the ignition is on and might behave differently if powered via a delayed power source such as the interior illumination cct. I will have a look at wiring diagram.

Having worked through the wiring diagrams I have identified the Door ECU's have the MR (Mirror Retract) signal and of course the MUL (Motor Unlock) and ML (Motor Lock) signals, I wonder if the LS switch that Neil E shared is simply linking two signals in the door. Does anyone have the LS wiring diagrams to see what the switch is connected to?

M

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 2:02 PM, Neil E said:

I'm sorry to report that door mirror settings don't appear to be in the customise section of Toyota Techstream for the SC430. I haven't found anything else to suggest it's an option so I think an 'add-on' control is the only solution.

Thank you for looking anyway, this confirms what I found looking at the Personalised Settings sheet.

I have trawled through the 6327 pages of the repair manual and found the attached information on the mirror retract cct which is helpful so I am sharing it.

SC430 Door Mirror Cct.pdf

3 hours ago, Wardair said:

Thank you for looking anyway, this confirms what I found looking at the Personalised Settings sheet.

I have trawled through the 6327 pages of the repair manual and found the attached information on the mirror retract cct which is helpful so I am sharing it.

SC430 Door Mirror Cct.pdf 183.42 kB · 2 downloads

Out of interest I just connected my iCarsoft Diagnostic Scan Tool and found the mirror fold signal under Body2 signals. A manual live read shows it changing when button pressed.

I have now ordered the cheap module that LexusRBest suggested as I guess that will be a fairly easy and quick fix 🤞

• Like 2

Hi Martin

Please let me know when you know it works, then I will need to know in layman's terms what to order and where from, then idiots guide of how to fit it! 

I think it's brilliant that you have conquered it, lots of people have asked but nobody has ever said yes it can be done! 👏👏

Perhaps your crowning glory will be to sort the fact we need to hold the button in for what seems to be a long time to put the roof up or down?

Regards, Anthony 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update. The 'cheap and cheerful' Auto Side Mirror Fold System box has arrived. It is around 7cm x 4cm (see picture 1) the power feed is has a 15A fuse (small black holder on red wire). The wiring diagram of the module is shown in picture 2.

I have now explored the Mirror Fold wiring extensively using the Repair Manual and the power feed polarity to the actual fold motor is reversed to open or fold the mirror. The simple box looks like it provides a power to fold on one wire and power to open on another. I will need to test the box outputs to confirm if it is also putting a ground signal on the inactive line.

The standard dashboard manual fold switch is a ground signal which is routed via the Drivers side Junction box to the two Multiplex Network Door ECU's which then provide signals to control the door mirror.

It seems that power to fold or unfold the mirrors is only available when the ignition is on, so folding the mirrors with the remote key will probably require the new box to provide power to the Door ECU in order to fold and unfold.

It is a lot more complicated to work out than I thought it would be but I haven't given up...yet.

to be continued...

Mirror Fold Wiring.jpg

Auto Side Miror Folding System.jpg

• Like 1

This is a great topic and i'm also eager to see the conclusion, although I have a small mission to get to this stage.

Both my mirrors are a little shy and refuse to fully extend or retract without a caring hand. 
My car is still covered by a Lexus main dealer warranty, so a trip back to the garage was arranged. However I was informed that the motor was at fault and they can no longer get the parts. I did try a water displacement lubricant and this seemed to fix the passenger side, but drivers side was not responding to any kind of therapy.

After some investigation I managed to find a supplier of genuine Lexus parts and with some gentle persuasion the dealer agreed to order the part and have it re-sprayed as no longer available in my colour. So far it has taken 4 weeks for the part to arrive and then 3 weeks in the bodyshop, followed by another week to book it in to be fitted.

When it goes in next week, I will then have to have the same chat about the passenger side which has now gone back to its ever shy-fulness.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 2:02 PM, Neil E said:

Hi Neil E, If you get a chance could you perform an active test using Techstream to retract mirrors. I am trying to determine why the ignition has to be on to fold the mirrors. The door ECU's have constant power so I assume there is another signal that is needed to tell the Door ECU to fold the mirror. I don't know the Techstream system but maybe you can see what other signals the door ECU needs to activate?

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Martin and Neil

You are both stars in my book for getting to grips with awakening this feature. 👏

I just knew there were people in this club who were clever enough to sort it. 👍

I can't wait for the next instalment! 😀

12 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Martin and Neil

You are both stars in my book for getting to grips with awakening this feature. 👏

I just knew there were people in this club who were clever enough to sort it. 👍

I can't wait for the next instalment! 😀

Thanks Ant but Martin should take all of the credit. 

I will have a look with Techstream when I get time but I don't think it was giving me that level of door control detail Martin.

I rarely need to fold my mirrors so happy with a manual switch but I think if I was trying to make it work, I might try to see if the LS 3-way toggle switch and associated wiring/components could be utilised.  That said, unlike the SC430, if memory serves, the LS doors stay live after the ignition is switched off until the door is opened. (Perhaps an LS owner might confirm)Lexus just didn't put the same level of tech into the SC and GS that the LS enjoyed.

• Confused 1

There you go again Neil talking about things like three way toggle switches which went straight over my head!!! 🤣

Despite speaking none of that language....keep up the good work as I would like that feature despite not understanding it!! 😂

👍Ant

LS430 Mirror Retract Cct.pdfLS430 Mirror Retract Cct.pdf

3 hours ago, Neil E said:

Thanks Ant but Martin should take all of the credit. 

I will have a look with Techstream when I get time but I dLS430 Mirror Retract Cct.pdfon't think it was giving me that level of door control detail Martin.

I rarely need to fold my mirrors so happy with a manual switch but I think if I was trying to make it work, I might try to see if the LS 3-way toggle switch and associated wiring/components could be utilised.  That said, unlike the SC430, if memory serves, the LS doors stay live after the ignition is switched off until the door is opened. (Perhaps an LS owner might confirm)Lexus just didn't put the same level of tech into the SC and GS that the LS enjoyed.

Hi Neil, I too thought the LS switch might help so I looked at the LS430 wiring diagrams. The LS switch has a MIND signal and from a quick review it seems Auto fold could be a default if the switch is not left or right which is the manual control options.

My gut feeling is that this could still be a system setting and that once I can find and emulate the missing signal the existing switch may operate as a manual override similar to the LS switch. Do you have an LS switch to tell me what connections are made in the auto position?

The SC Door ECU is live as it has to be for the door locks however it could be the mirror ccts may only be active if IGN or ACC is on (key in ignition). I need to spend a bit more time on it but been busy installing Bluetooth streaming.

• Like 1

It's a while since I owned an LS430 but yes I believe that's correct Martin, the centre setting on the LS switch is the auto-fold position.

I can't find the LS mirror wiring diagram but in searching, I found this which I think confirms the above and provides a better explanation to Ant than I could about the switch.🤣

I'm really no use when it comes to the various blue-tooth adapters as all of my audio and sat-nav is aftermarket. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neil E said:

It's a while since I owned an LS430 but yes I believe that's correct Martin, the centre setting on the LS switch is the auto-fold position.

I can't find the LS mirror wiring diagram but in searching, I found this which I think confirms the above and provides a better explanation to Ant than I could about the switch.🤣

I'm really no use when it comes to the various blue-tooth adapters as all of my audio and sat-nav is aftermarket. 

Thanks Neil. Here are the LS and SC mirror retract ccts for comparison.

I have finished my Bluetooth so will continue working on the mirror project tomorrow - M

LS430 Mirror Retract Cct.pdf SC430 Door Mirror Cct.pdf

• Like 1

Quick update.

Having reviewed the LS430 Diagnostics Manual yesterday, I can confirm the MIND signal from the LS dashboard mirror switch is what the SC430 is missing. The switch connects to the Driver Side Junction Block and this somehow tells the door ECU's to auto retract (the signal can be viewed under Body 2 in Techstream). The two states for this signal are 1) Mirror is Except Retract 2) Mirror is retract position.

I now have to gain access to the Drivers Side Junction block and try emulating this signal and see if the mirrors autofold. If they don't then I assume the Door ECU's in the LS and SC are different in some way.

The cheap and cheerful Auto Mirror Fold box I have bought will work if one is installed in each door as all the required signals are there, but I am hoping that will not be required.

to be continued......

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on the replacement mirror

After a few days of Walt Disney's magic formula both mirrors resorted back to their old ways, in fact even worse, as I had to get a second person to assist me me get them both open at the same time.

So D day arrived and like magic both mirrors were working perfectly. The dealership replaced the drivers mirror as agreed, but found no fault on the other side.

They did look at the AFS system, as the light was constantly flashing, but couldn't find a fault. So it was rebooked in for a full check of all the ECU reading to see where the error was coming from. However a faulty connection was found and the car is now completely fault free.

Now the sun is out and the roof is down, so happy summer driving to you all.

Steve 

• Like 1

Hi Steve 

There is nothing worse than an intermittent fault because in my experience too, embarrassingly the fault never performs to order!

I have even resorted to recording with video, faults performing or noises.

Ant

• Haha 1