Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nextbase rear dash cam

All, I fitted a Nextbase 622 GW which is really good, it has the rear window camera which utilises a magnetic ball arrangement to hold it in place. I’ve noticed that it is really easy to move from its optimal position and can easily be rendered pretty useless as a result of this. I have a UX and it’s worst when my dog is in the boot. Why couldn’t they have made the fitting to incorporate a fixing grub screw so that it cannot move!! Anyway just thought I would share, suppose it is only a problem with hatchbacks but a design flaw none the less. 

Hi Hamish.

Thanks for the information regarding the rear camera.

I’m considering fitting a dash cam to my UX and have narrowed my choices down to the Nextbase 622GW & the BlackVue DR590X.

I hope you don’t mind me asking but where did you place your front facing camera? It’s a bit busy behind the rear view mirror and want to make sure all cables are hidden and my view  is not impeded. Also where did you route the cable for the rear view camera? Over the top of the doors or under the door scuff plates?

Apologies for all the questions but I’d rather have the opinion of someone who has actually fitted a dash cam to a UX than follow the random videos on YouTube.

Cheers.

Hi Sandy,

Prior to me fitting it I found a really useful link from a mainly US Lexus forum, its really good and pretty much summarizes all that needs to be done. It took me around 2 hours to fit and I routed the cable along, into and through to roof lining which was really easy. The cables need to be ran immediately behind the linings so that they don't interfere with airbag deployment but thats all you need. Couple of things I done differently:

1. I ran the rear camera cable from the front to the back and coiled up the excess cable in under the tailgate moulding panel. 

2. I did not take the A Frame pillar moulding off, there’s plenty of room behind the door pillar rubber door seal arrangement and this avoids interfering with the A pillar airbag. The cables are easily tucked between the headlining and A frame plastic cover. 

3. I used the tailgate grommet that is used to route the washer fluid pipe, there’s much more room for the camera cable (some washing up liquid helps to pass it through). 

4. I used a stripped out cable (live or neutral) from some 2.5mm twin and earth ring main domestic type to act as a router / pull through. Just some care not to disturb any trim or internal wiring etc. Any stiff rodding will do but this made it easy as its quite flexible too. 

All the panels came apart easily and as long as your careful nothing should break, worst that could happen is for one of the plastic facia clips to break which are easy to replace. The Nextbase camera came with a small plastic tool which is helpful to remove mouldings and prize away roof lining etc to enable the cables to be snuggly fitted in.The power supply is from a piggy back connector fitted to the auxiliary fuse system which only powers up when the car is being used, I bought the additional cabling which included everything for the install  Only thing is that the fuse cover can’t be refitted due to the size of the piggy back, I just left it off. I’ll add a couple pics re-positioning but its to the left  of the rear view mirror and just below the safety camera, it does not interfere with driving, in fact you don’t notice it’s even there. The cables run in the channel and into the headlining so it’s completely hidden. 

See link below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ux-models-2019-present/960258-dash-cam-progress-thread-viofo-a129-duo.html?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

Many thanks for a very informative reply.

When I get round to fitting my dash cam I’ll certainly follow the instructions/suggestions on both yours and also the supplied link from the US Lexus forum.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I have the 322GW and with it the plug in rear view camera. The rear view camera plugs into the side of the front facing camera and it produces rather surprising excellent pictures. Why on earth have a separate rear view camera with all that unnecessary wiring is beyond me. What I get from my 322GW is outstanding. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links