Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 24000 miles £17,000. A new benchmark?

Jacob hi, well done buying the best example of an early Ls400 surviving ....  probably .......  hope so ........... :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, GSF_REG said:

just seen this thread and me and my father are now the owners of this beautiful LS400!

I'm tinking many on here will not be instagram afficionados so could you post your piccys here too please ?

Best wishes with her

Malc

It is the 1992 LS400 J137 DCL so excited to pick up

My first one was  J 54 DAP and looked very similar but was  pearlescent white in colour  .....  and 15" wheels and tyres ( and brakes to match ) .......... and the wheels have one slot less than the Mk2 car ( which I had too )  even tho' they otherwise look exactly the same 

A fabulous first Lexus for me back in the day ..... I had her at about 112k miles I think and used her as my main car, travelling Europe too,  until she left me with 180k miles and gifted to the tyre purveyor who kept me in tyres locally to my used car sales business nr Ashford kent .....  to give to his dad who always wanted a Ls400 .... she's vanished now I believe

Lovely good useable car in it's day for me

ARE YOU keeping your one in " aspic " for show days only ?

Malc

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

My first one was  J 54 DAP and looked very similar but was  pearlescent white in colour  .....  and 15" wheels and tyres ( and brakes to match ) .......... and the wheels have one slot less than the Mk2 car ( which I had too )  even tho' they otherwise look exactly the same 

A fabulous first Lexus for me back in the day ..... I had her at about 112k miles I think and used her as my main car, travelling Europe too,  until she left me with 180k miles and gifted to the tyre purveyor who kept me in tyres locally to my used car sales business nr Ashford kent .....  to give to his dad who always wanted a Ls400 .... she's vanished now I believe

Lovely good useable car in it's day for me

ARE YOU keeping your one in " aspic " for show days only ?

Malc

Hi malc thanks for the message we are currently on the drive back with the lexus! The car will be used for sure but most of the time will be in the garage, the pictures do it no justice it is pearl white paint! No stone chips or anything, no rust no rot not a blemish!! I’ve got a few pictures here but i’ll take more once we get back!! 

EA5CF746-C294-400B-8E29-837EF2A77177.jpeg

B57199AD-B55B-4F3A-9226-9FC61F8F7F51.jpeg

EAD268D5-A0D5-431A-8FF1-8CF9D7A5A3CA.jpeg

227623BC-C15E-4679-96AC-402BBE3859EB.jpeg

B8D06364-B73A-4FD2-A505-13AB82A7FDD5.jpeg

6EA17A93-2206-450C-99B4-71772B9D03B2.jpeg

A29795A7-A872-4C0A-8E5E-C6E346BC00FA.jpeg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, GSF_REG said:

Hi malc thanks for the message we are currently on the drive back with the lexus! The car will be used for sure but most of the time will be in the garage, the pictures do it no justice it is pearl white paint! No stone chips or anything, no rust no rot not a blemish!! I’ve got a few pictures here but i’ll take more once we get back!! 

EA5CF746-C294-400B-8E29-837EF2A77177.jpeg

B57199AD-B55B-4F3A-9226-9FC61F8F7F51.jpeg

EAD268D5-A0D5-431A-8FF1-8CF9D7A5A3CA.jpeg

227623BC-C15E-4679-96AC-402BBE3859EB.jpeg

B8D06364-B73A-4FD2-A505-13AB82A7FDD5.jpeg

6EA17A93-2206-450C-99B4-71772B9D03B2.jpeg

A29795A7-A872-4C0A-8E5E-C6E346BC00FA.jpeg

IMG_0353.MOV IMG_0355.MOV IMG_0354.MOV IMG_0358.MOV IMG_0359.MOV

Wonderful, Jacob.

What sort of Warranty were you given with the car ?

1 hour ago, GSF_REG said:

it is pearl white paint!

............ she looks quite stunning .....  take care that the power steering rersevoir doesn't leak all over the alternator tho' .....  happened to me one night on the M20 .......  it's a common enough event and could just need replacing  OEM seals for preventative maintenance  ..........  luckily the engine is non-interference so should the cambelt go you should be ok BUT of course preventative maintenance there too ..  60k ( back then )  or 100k miles / 10 years is the norm for cambelt, waterpump and pulleys these days 

BUT I'm sure you've read all the stuff on here from some of us " oldies " that have been blessed with using a Ls400 for decades :wink3:

Really a stunning good useable everyday car that's more reliable than any other and will take you all over europe without a moments hesitation or fear .......... I know .......  I've done it in my Mk1 too  all those years back

ENJOY

Malc

39 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

does one ever get a warranty with a 30 year young classic car ? :unsure:

Malc

54 minutes ago, Malc said:

does one ever get a warranty with a 30 year young classic car ? :unsure:

Malc

It`s a very good question old pal,but, the correct question is "Did he did buy it from a Dealer/ Trader ? 

• Like 1

STONE COLD CLASSICS LTD

UNIT 9 NEPICAR PARK LONDON ROAD WROTHAM KENT

TN15 7RR

these were the guys advertising her on   Car and Classic 

19 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Did he did buy it from a Dealer/ Trader

website for sale          .....  so I guess so then :unsure:

Malc

21 minutes ago, Malc said:

STONE COLD CLASSICS LTD

UNIT 9 NEPICAR PARK LONDON ROAD WROTHAM KENT

TN15 7RR

these were the guys advertising her on   Car and Classic 

website for sale          .....  so I guess so then :unsure:

Malc

Thanks Malc.

Difficult to argue that they are NOT a Trader, so Consumer Protection Act 2015 applies, so they are Statutorily Obliged to fix anything that goes wrong within 6 months of Purchase.

That could be very good news to Jacob (if he continues reading this Thread).

Stand by your Beds !!

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Wonderful, Jacob.

Hi roy no warrenty but what can you expect on a 31 year old car, its clearly been loved so anything that goes on it is fair game🤟🏻

3 hours ago, Malc said:

............ she looks quite stunning .....  take care that the power steering rersevoir doesn't leak all over the alternator tho' .....  happened to me one night on the M20 .......  it's a common enough event and could just need replacing  OEM seals for preventative maintenance  ..........  luckily the engine is non-interference so should the cambelt go you should be ok BUT of course preventative maintenance there too ..  60k ( back then )  or 100k miles / 10 years is the norm for cambelt, waterpump and pulleys these days 

BUT I'm sure you've read all the stuff on here from some of us " oldies " that have been blessed with using a Ls400 for decades :wink3:

Really a stunning good useable everyday car that's more reliable than any other and will take you all over europe without a moments hesitation or fear .......... I know .......  I've done it in my Mk1 too  all those years back

ENJOY

Malc

Hi malc, thanks for that bit of advice, i’ll add it to the list of things to be done on monday at lexus wolverhampton, do it now for piece of mind! Cambelt was done 2000 miles ago, so all good for that! So happy with the purchase it really is a concours example, she’ll be going to japfest next year along with the GSF for sure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Malc.

Difficult to argue that they are NOT a Trader, so Consumer Protection Act 2015 applies, so they are Statutorily Obliged to fix anything that goes wrong within 6 months of Purchase.

That could be very good news to Jacob (if he continues reading this Thread).

Stand by your Beds !!

Thats great to know roy! You oldies sure know the ins and out🤣 i’m 24 so still have a lot of trials and tribulations to go through!!

• Like 2

Also it was stone cold classics who we bought it off, wayne was an absoloute pleasure to deal with and really did give us a fair price on the VW, a great guy to know who genuinely just loves cars, like we all do!! If any of you are ever looking to buy a car off him, you’ll be in good hands!  

1 minute ago, GSF_REG said:

Thats great to know roy! You oldies sure know the ins and out🤣 i’m 24 so still have a lot of trials and tribulations to go through!!

Jacob, encourage Lexus to be thorough with their investigations as one really only gets one chance to complain to the seller.

I am not for one moment saying anything other than you appear to have spent a lot of money on what appears to be a very fine car and I do hope that events turn out well for you.

Do give us all a full report on the outcome of Lexus` investigations and we`ll try to give you good advice. Do not rely on oral communications with any party. Get everything in writing.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, royoftherovers said:

Jacob, encourage Lexus to be thorough with their investigations as one really only gets one chance to complain to the seller.

I am not for one moment saying anything other than you appear to have spent a lot of money on what appears to be a very fine car and I do hope that events turn out well for you.

Do give us all a full report on the outcome of Lexus` investigations and we`ll try to give you good advice. Do not rely on oral communications with any party. Get everything in writing.

Good luck.

Hi roy sorry for the late reply, the LS400 went into lexus today for its full service, the report came out great all mechanical aspects were top notch condition! We did stay in the workshop and watch all work being carried out, i insisted i be there as i don’t trust garages in the slightest! Only things they found wrong was a very minor oil leak on the rocker cover, a little rust on the joint of the back box which happens on all cars! So all in all it was everything we expected, were going back on the 20th of this month to do the gasket on the rocker cover, the seals on the power steering reservoir and also do the transmission fluid as they didn’t have the oil to do it and also do a full alignment on the car!

i’ve also had them on the phone again this evening asking if i was interested in parting with my GSF, so i’m booked in on the 25th of this month to see what they’d offer me for it, they’ve mentioned an LC500 to me so i might just try and wangle a test drive!! I’m not really keen on parting with my GSF for anything less than £60,000, i know thats way over priced but thats the kind of money that would make me consider selling, like i mentioned i don’t want to sell it🤣 just trying to get a test drive of the LC500 out of them really🤣

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GSF_REG said:

Hi roy sorry for the late reply, the LS400 went into lexus today for its full service, the report came out great all mechanical aspects were top notch condition! We did stay in the workshop and watch all work being carried out, i insisted i be there as i don’t trust garages in the slightest! Only things they found wrong was a very minor oil leak on the rocker cover, a little rust on the joint of the back box which happens on all cars! So all in all it was everything we expected, were going back on the 20th of this month to do the gasket on the rocker cover, the seals on the power steering reservoir and also do the transmission fluid as they didn’t have the oil to do it and also do a full alignment on the car!

i’ve also had them on the phone again this evening asking if i was interested in parting with my GSF, so i’m booked in on the 25th of this month to see what they’d offer me for it, they’ve mentioned an LC500 to me so i might just try and wangle a test drive!! I’m not really keen on parting with my GSF for anything less than £60,000, i know thats way over priced but thats the kind of money that would make me consider selling, like i mentioned i don’t want to sell it🤣 just trying to get a test drive of the LC500 out of them really🤣

Thank you very much for the incredible and well worth waiting for, update Jacob.

I`m sure that we are all very pleased for you. Stay in touch and do keep us all appraised of how you are getting on with your new LS.

Do contribute to those threads which interest you and good luck with your attempt to wangle a drive in the LC !

40 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thank you very much for the incredible and well worth waiting for, update Jacob.

I`m sure that we are all very pleased for you. Stay in touch and do keep us all appraised of how you are getting on with your new LS.

Do contribute to those threads which interest you and good luck with your attempt to wangle a drive in the LC !

Appreciate the kind words roy! I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this thread, i’ll give you updates when we visit lexus next, the next challenge for me is too get adrian flux some pictures over so we can agree on a fixed value for insurance incase it gets written off as i’m fairly sure i wouldn’t find another like it! And average LS400 prices are probably only about 4-5k! So don’t want to get burnt if the worst happens!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GSF_REG said:

Appreciate the kind words roy! I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this thread, i’ll give you updates when we visit lexus next, the next challenge for me is too get adrian flux some pictures over so we can agree on a fixed value for insurance incase it gets written off as i’m fairly sure i wouldn’t find another like it! And average LS400 prices are probably only about 4-5k! So don’t want to get burnt if the worst happens!

Get several quotes Jacob. AF are not liked by many.

the next challenge for me is too get adrian flux some

aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh .......  my desperately fed-up experience in a real life claims drama would send me a million miles from these guys

It's not the premium you pay, nor the cover you think you get, it's the actual Claims Experience when the ******* hits the fan :whistling:

There are other Classic Car insurers out there and other members here might be able to guide you with their thoughts too

Malc

43 minutes ago, Malc said:

aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh .......  my desperately fed-up experience in a real life claims drama would send me a million miles from these guys

It's not the premium you pay, nor the cover you think you get, it's the actual Claims Experience when the ******* hits the fan :whistling:

There are other Classic Car insurers out there and other members here might be able to guide you with their thoughts too

Malc

`Twas you I had in mind Sonny Jim, when I made my comment re AF.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, Malc said:

Jacob, how's it all going  ??

Malc

Hi all! Sorry for the late replys but things have been hectic! I am sad to say we have had a nightmare with Lexus wolverhampton! As you know the LS400 went in for a full service, rocker cover gasket and power steering reservoir seals etc, well like i said we got the service done bar from the transmission oil and filter, the rocker cover gasket that was slightly leaking and also the seals, so we were booked in for two weeks after the original service, so leading up to our next service appointment we had to call up to make sure they’d got the parts and we kept getting told “we’ll call you back” and we never got those calls, so we went to the lexus to get the parts they’d ordered fitted and they hadn’t got anything for it! We turned up and got told “ we can’t get the parts” we had no call to say they couldn’t get the parts!!! which i find hard to believe, so my old man threatened to drag the parts manager over the counter for A- not letting us know B- for **** us about and C- putting 100miles on a low mileage car, so i’m sure your know we got told to leave or the police would be called🤣 we went to toyota in shrewsbury the next day and we are now booked in with them this week to get all the work done which i’ve mentioned above! Funny how toyota will do the work and can get the parts ( i do know lexus is pretty much toyota) but why can’t lexus get the parts ey? Anyway lets hope toyota are better than lexus with their customer service!!
PLEASE avoid Lexus Wolverhampton at all costs!!!!!!!  I will not be taking my GSF there anymore after this experience!!! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GSF_REG said:

Hi all! Sorry for the late replys but things have been hectic! I am sad to say we have had a nightmare with Lexus wolverhampton! As you know the LS400 went in for a full service, rocker cover gasket and power steering reservoir seals etc, well like i said we got the service done bar from the transmission oil and filter, the rocker cover gasket that was slightly leaking and also the seals, so we were booked in for two weeks after the original service, so leading up to our next service appointment we had to call up to make sure they’d got the parts and we kept getting told “we’ll call you back” and we never got those calls, so we went to the lexus to get the parts they’d ordered fitted and they hadn’t got anything for it! We turned up and got told “ we can’t get the parts” we had no call to say they couldn’t get the parts!!! which i find hard to believe, so my old man threatened to drag the parts manager over the counter for A- not letting us know B- for **** us about and C- putting 100miles on a low mileage car, so i’m sure your know we got told to leave or the police would be called🤣 we went to toyota in shrewsbury the next day and we are now booked in with them this week to get all the work done which i’ve mentioned above! Funny how toyota will do the work and can get the parts ( i do know lexus is pretty much toyota) but why can’t lexus get the parts ey? Anyway lets hope toyota are better than lexus with their customer service!!
PLEASE avoid Lexus Wolverhampton at all costs!!!!!!!  I will not be taking my GSF there anymore after this experience!!! 

So sorry to read that Jacob.

Thanks for being so up front about the failings of Lexus Wolverhampton,I for one will avoid them.

Steven Eagell Group Senior Management will need to review the performance of its Wolverhampton employees as such reported conduct falls far short of the expectations of Lexus owners.

Jacob,Please keep us all posted about future developments and the outcomes from TOYOTA SHREWSBURY.

18 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

So sorry to read that Jacob.

Thanks for being so up front about the failings of Lexus Wolverhampton,I for one will avoid them.

Steven Eagell Group Senior Management will need to review the performance of its Wolverhampton employees as such reported conduct falls far short of the expectations of Lexus owners.

Jacob,Please keep us all posted about future developments and the outcomes from TOYOTA SHREWSBURY.

Yeah well i’m going to try and get in touch with someone higher up in Lexus UK to see what they’re going to do about it, one thing i forgot to mention is the lads actually working on the cars in the workshop are top notch mechanics and very nice people! I have nothing but good to say about them, but unfortunately the people in the showroom and office departments are a bunch of c**ts🤣 we were more than happy to let them know our thoughts! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links