Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ES300h size and parking?

GMX

Hello All,

I'm in the process of buying a new ES300h. Had the IS before and was pleased with it. I'm not sure if the size would be an issue, as it's quite a big car.

Have any of you had problems with parking in supermarkets, street parking etc.?

This is the only thing that puts me off.

Cheers.

I went from an IS to an ES and to be honest although it is bigger i haven’t found it to be any more difficult to park  etc. I did once have all the sensors beeping, cameras scanning and mirrors dipping whilst parking at my mums house and I drove into her wheely bin!!! I think it was more to do with concentrating on all the car assistant gadgets rather than looking out the window 

you will be fine, you have made a good choice

Easy to park. Just be aware it's a bit wider than most, and considerably longer at 3cm shy of a full 5m, so you might stick out of standard bays length wise. It certainly does in our local Tesco. But I generally park far from the entrance, and pick lone spots by nature even before I got the ES. Visibility though is excellent, you get used to the dimensions pretty quick, parallel parking is a doddle (just dip your mirror so you don't kerb it). Congrats, excellent choice.

Yes it’s a big car (especially in length as noted above). When I got mine it took a bit of getting used to (I came from a CT) but you’ll soon get used to it, it’s a great car. I will be genuinely sorry to see mine go and I’d have another in an instant.

• 2 weeks later...

yes the ES is a long car and takes a bit of getting used to especially when parking. Wworst place I found was Gatwick airport car park, apart from being outrageously expensive  I Couldn’t get the car up the ramps in one go ……. However the clever ES parking systems beeped and winked at me and finally automatically put the brakes on before it damaged it self…..  then completed the manoeuvre a sort of 2 1/2 point turn 😂

Just. Quick point while I remember,   When front parking and there is a high curb. The sensors not always pick this up and there is a risk you can scrape the front end bumper skirt on the kerb…. Nearly caught me out …….

On 4/9/2022 at 7:11 PM, GMX said:

Hello All,

I'm in the process of buying a new ES300h. Had the IS before and was pleased with it. I'm not sure if the size would be an issue, as it's quite a big car.

Have any of you had problems with parking in supermarkets, street parking etc.?

This is the only thing that puts me off.

Cheers.

Hi

I changed from a Mk10 Honda Civic to an ES. No problem with width, but the Lexus is a long car. I tend to drive through spaces and then back up using the reversing camera. Very easy then to judge where you should be.

Agree with the above, have found the switch from the Astra (1/2m shorter) / Swift (1.1m shorter) surprisingly easy. Reversing and Parallel parking are a doddle thanks to the camera and dynamic lines. It does take a little bit of getting used to swinging into space when going forwards but I'm starting to get the hang of it after a couple of weeks. Main thing is to trust your instincts, but keep in mind what the car is also telling you.  

I think the relatively poor turning circle does not help things either. The UK infrastructure around multi storey car parks and spaces simply makes it an uphill battle for day to day use. For me personally I park as far away from anyone as possible and rather would walk but for some that may not be ideal. It is not the cars fault but the infrastructure really. Also people's attitude to park alongside with only inches to spare and then scratch an expensive ES paint finish is not a great thought!

When I had an ES for a test drive I expected that the length, especially, and the width, added to my unfamiliarity with the car, would make parking much more difficult than with my RC.  Initially I was therefore quite nervous.  I didn't want to risk kerbing or denting a car that was not mine, and avoided potentially problematic situations like reversing into tight spaces on busy roads.  However, the ES felt so generally easy to drive that confidence in my own normal ability to park soon returned - though not without what in days gone by I would have considered excessive reliance on the multiple acoustic and visual aids provided, including in this case the optional digital side-mirrors.  These I generally liked even if they were an additional source of worry because of what seemed, probably deceptively, the extra protrusion in respect of standard ones.  Anyway, I managed to put the car exactly where I wanted at the first try when parking in normal everyday places and situations.  Hypothetically, my main concern, which might actually prove unfounded with longer practice and experience, would be in entering and exiting some underground or multi-level car-parks.  The only size-related problem I had during the drive was not in parking but in negotiating tight bends and corners in narrow village lanes where I often found it necessary to slow to a crawl or even stop in order to correctly judge width.  But the mere fact that I felt confident enough not to stay off such roads was in itself a tribute to the ES's satisfactory manoeuvrabity for such a big car.

• Like 1

Three times now I've nearly reversed into something whilst parking in Betsy. On each occasions I've had someone in the car rabbiting away at me. The parking sensor beeps and the BRAKE! warning don't seem to make any difference. This demonstrates why I do not like having passengers. I am yet to discover whether Betsy will take over and apply the brakes before it is too late.

Oh and another thing. Why do non Lexus drivers have to slam the door of any Lexus they are fortunate to be travelling in? Is it because the fit and finish of their Scheissewagens necessitates this? The next person to slam one of Betsy's doors is going to get a bunch of fives, make no mistake.

• Haha 2

Yes it will brake, I have had this a couple of times reversing into parking spaces with a bush behind. But don’t rely on it and also I can’t recall if there is a setting for sensitivity, or to warn only vs brake intervention. Check the settings for PKSA (or whatever the acronym is).

• Thanks 1

Problem is the smaller marked-out parking bays, like in Morrisons. I try to use Waitrose now where the prices are higher but the bays are bigger.

More serious is the tendency in supermarkets and pubs to get your door dinked by inconsiderate (and jealous) drivers who park alongside.

12 minutes ago, Mike246 said:

Problem is the smaller marked-out parking bays, like in Morrisons. I try to use Waitrose now where the prices are higher but the bays are bigger.

More serious is the tendency in supermarkets and pubs to get your door dinked by inconsiderate (and jealous) drivers who park alongside.

The GS is long and the Merc is a tad longer. Sainsburys come to us !👍

No dings, no scratches, no parking problems and no fuel used.👍👍

`Tis not Rocket Science.

• Like 2

Good grief, there seems to be some really nervous drivers in here. Are you sure you want to be on the road at all?

I passed my driving test in the instructors Austin Allegro and after that, the only thing I'd driven was my dad's Morris Marina. However, on the very first day of starting work on BT I was given the keys to a Commer van. No if's, and's, or but's, it was required for the job, so get used to it.

image.thumb.png.f5ffb6d20e4345af31543d47d46f4402.png

Within a week they needed the van for someone else and I was given a more appropriate vehicle, a proper jointers wagon, the Bedford TK:

image.png.1b0282bd0e43b6f69bf03c5ee22d01b2.png

No dramas with either one of them and they were both as easy to drive - and park - as cars, although the Commer vans were notoriously unstable.

If anyone does happen to be a nervous driver, why not book a couple of refresher lessons with a good instructor?

12 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Good grief, there seems to be some really nervous drivers in here. Are you sure you want to be on the road at all?

I passed my driving test in the instructors Austin Allegro and after that, the only thing I'd driven was my dad's Morris Marina. However, on the very first day of starting work on BT I was given the keys to a Commer van. No if's, and's, or but's, it was required for the job, so get used to it.

image.thumb.png.f5ffb6d20e4345af31543d47d46f4402.png

Within a week they needed the van for someone else and I was given a more appropriate vehicle, a proper jointers wagon, the Bedford TK:

image.png.1b0282bd0e43b6f69bf03c5ee22d01b2.png

No dramas with either one of them and they were both as easy to drive - and park - as cars, although the Commer vans were notoriously unstable.

If anyone does happen to be a nervous driver, why not book a couple of refresher lessons with a good instructor?

I  don`t think that anyone has implied or admitted being nervous Herbie. They have certainly indicated (no pun intended) that they love their vehicles, are proud of them and wish, in so far as they can, to preserve and protect the value of an important asset.

As I imagine the first owners of the Allegros and Marinas undoubtedly did. As I did in my 1948 Morris Minor and 1964 Hillman Imp. Although in my case I never did see either as an Asset,as in each case I was the nth owner. I was undoubtedly proud to have been able to own a car and always sought to park it to the best of my ability and in accordance with the requirements of the Highway Code and without causing damage either to it or others. 

I use the services of Sainsbury`s Delivery as I find it a financially and physically, more effective option taking all matters into account.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links