Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy rim protectors

When I finally get my new and first ever Lexus I know that I will be paranoid about kerbing my lovely new alloys.

Came across  stick on rim protectors today, didn't know such things existed, one type has a lip on it to ensure even fitting which looks a good idea.

Anyone used them, are they any good or do they look naff.

Bill D.

6 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

When I finally get my new and first ever Lexus I know that I will be paranoid about kerbing my lovely new alloys.

Came across  stick on rim protectors today, didn't know such things existed, one type has a lip on it to ensure even fitting which looks a good idea.

Anyone used them, are they any good or do they look naff.

Bill D.

Not so sure that ‘stick on’ is such a good idea.  What happens if they need replacing?

In my first week of ownership, I discovered that low profile alloys and snow-covered kerbs do not make a happy mix.

Although our local ChipsAway did an excellent rim repair job,  it was clear this could become an expensive hobby.  So I had a set of Alloygators fitted.  They have proved to be an excellent investment.

Now it’s only the plastic rim that’s ever scuffed, which can be rubbed smooth.  And individual Alloygators can be easily replaced.  I suggest you check them out first before sticking anything on to a wheel.

Thanks for that Len, just had a look at their website. Only thing I wasn't too keen on was the joint looked a bit untidy, maybe that was just that video, how do yours look?

Bill D.

54 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

Thanks for that Len, just had a look at their website. Only thing I wasn't too keen on was the joint looked a bit untidy, maybe that was just that video, how do yours look?

Bill D.

I hope this gives some idea, Bill.  I chose black so that they merged with the tyre, but they come in a range of colours if you wish to make a feature of them.

I can't say that the joint has ever seemed too visible to me.  I think it's the slight bulge at the 1 o'clock position on the front wheel, so you can judge for yourself.

I have other wheel pics if you'd like to see more.

However, I think the most important consideration is that if you come away from an encounter with a kerb of sufficient force to seriously damage the AlloyGator, it would have quite possibly irreparably damaged the wheel! 

image.thumb.jpeg.74d058f73a01e2dbd1386e62c1471626.jpeg

Theyre rubbish. Look tatty as hell when theyre curbed and can fling off on the motorway causing damage to the side of the car

The UX has high profile tyres and its a small vehicle so kerbing shouldnt really be a problem!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LenT said:

So I had a set of Alloygators fitted.

Totally agree with Len, I have Alloygators fitted to RX450. The joint is usually located at the Tyre Valve and does not appear distracting

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Theyre rubbish. Look tatty as hell when theyre curbed and can fling off on the motorway causing damage to the side of the car.

I have heard these claims before, but I have a couple of problems with them.  
Firstly, if you think they look tatty when curbed, you can smooth the plastic with a supplied little shaver or even a small file.  And, as I mentioned, if you’re worried about a scuff on the plastic, just bear in mind what the same impact would have done to the unprotected rim!

Even a newly applied Alloygator is considerably less then a rim repair - or a new wheel!

Secondly, I’m not sure that there has ever been a properly documented case of a correctly fitted Alloygator parting from the rim.

If the jointing piece is undamaged then the circumference of the Alloygator is less than the rim, so it can’t slip over the rim anyway.  If the jointing piece has been damaged and the Alloygator is starting to move out of the rim, then that will be immediately obvious to even a casual glance by the owner.

If that’s the case, extra jointing pieces and adhesive can be bought from the makers.  Deflating the tyre and using a suitable soft-faced mallet is usually then sufficient to get the Alloygator back in place.

I hope this is some reassurance.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links