Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spot Weld Inspection Recall

NX Owners in the US and Canada have been receiving recall notices for a potential Spot Weld issue on the front Shock Absorbers. There is a rumour that it is only January Production models (which mine is) but this is not confirmed yet.

The thread for this can be found here:   https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-2nd-gen-2022-current/984303-anyone-got-the-recall-notice.html

I checked the UK DVLA site for recall notices last night and mine was not listed, but this morning it is. You can enter your Reg here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

The dealers have only been informed by Lexus this morning so do not have full details yet of what is involved. It is a potentially serious fault so I am hoping A that the inspection determines all our welds are there, or B if some are missing that they can just spot weld them in situ at the dealer. I don’t want to think about C…….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, hintonwood said:

NX Owners in the US and Canada have been receiving recall notices for a potential Spot Weld issue on the front Shock Absorbers. There is a rumour that it is only January Production models (which mine is) but this is not confirmed yet.

The thread for this can be found here:   https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-2nd-gen-2022-current/984303-anyone-got-the-recall-notice.html

I checked the UK DVLA site for recall notices last night and mine was not listed, but this morning it is. You can enter your Reg here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

The dealers have only been informed by Lexus this morning so do not have full details yet of what is involved. It is a potentially serious fault so I am hoping A that the inspection determines all our welds are there, or B if some are missing that they can just spot weld them in situ at the dealer. I don’t want to think about C…….

@hintonwood many thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I've checked my NX (a December build) against the DVLA site you mentioned and also against Toyota's own checker (https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker?lexus=true) and neither show a recall for mine. I'll keep checking over the next few days.

Please keep us up to date with how it goes for you.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Toyota checker link Andy.

I put my reg in and it confirmed that I have the recall. 

I think that is confirmation that your NX isn’t affected. Maybe the welding  robot had too much Sake over Christmas! 😜

• Sad 1

The Cambridge – Ontario, Canada site are manufacturing the 2022 NX. Not sure if that will just be the LHD version and the RHD (UK, Japan) versions still produced in the Kyushu and Tahara plants in Japan. Hopefully just a teething problem

Bear in mind that there are 2 Recalls detailed in the Clublexus.com forum link i posted above. The first is the Spot Weld issue that my dealer confirmed my recall is for. The second is a software issue with the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system.

Some may have both and some may have one or the other on their own. I personally would much rather have the software issue rather than Spot Welds potentially missing.

If your car is produced pre January it might be just the Software if the anecdotal info is correct that the weld problem was January production only. Fingers crossed for you.🤞

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hintonwood said:

Bear in mind that there are 2 Recalls detailed in the Clublexus.com forum link i posted above. The first is the Spot Weld issue that my dealer confirmed my recall is for. The second is a software issue with the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system.

Some may have both and some may have one or the other on their own. I personally would much rather have the software issue rather than Spot Welds potentially missing.

If your car is produced pre January it might be just the Software if the anecdotal info is correct that the weld problem was January production only. Fingers crossed for you.🤞

Ah ok. I had understood that the VSC issue was not a recall per se, but rather an OTA fix?

The date for the recall is 13th April, which has me inclined to think it is the spot weld issue?

I guess I’ll know soon enough. 

Update

Ha, I’d literally just posted this message and email from dealer popped in.

I’ve been assured my car is safe to drive. Recall involves inspection of 2 panels under bonnet. They indicate that they have not found any issues with vehicles that they have looked at already. (I expect amount looked at already is very small though)

Edited by zanderblue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Toyota checker now aligning with the DVLA site and my car also on recall. 😪I am awaiting a response from the dealer but according to other sources the official letter will not be issued until June as they are currently working on how to address this issue! Even heard that the wings will be required to be removed. Certainly far from happy and its taken some of the joy from the new car.☹️

• Sad 1

On 4/15/2022 at 10:27 AM, Ken R said:

Toyota checker now aligning with the DVLA site and my car also on recall. 😪I am awaiting a response from the dealer but according to other sources the official letter will not be issued until June as they are currently working on how to address this issue! Even heard that the wings will be required to be removed. Certainly far from happy and its taken some of the joy from the new car.☹️

This is disappointing I agree but I guess that this type of issue was always a risk when taking such a complex and complicated machine from its first production run. We possibly need to be prepared for more teething issues. My 450h+ still makes me smile when driving; I'm not going to let this tarnish my enjoyment of it. :-)

• Like 3

I had cause to pop into my local dealership this morning so I asked them to check out the spot welds while I was there. Although my car was showing as not affected on both recall checker sites, it seemed too good an opportunity to pass up.

No fault found fortunately.

My dealership only received the notification from Lexus on Tuesday and mine was the first one they had checked. 

NX350h built in early December. 

Hopefully Lexus are just being over cautious and the problem isn't too much of an issue.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ken R said:

Has anybody received an official recall letter from Lexus yet?

Nothing. I rang my dealer on 14 April to tell them that mine has the recall for spot welds…… still waiting for them to call me in for the check.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had my spot welds checked today and my NX isn’t faulty.

After the car was picked up this morning I received a letter from Lexus UK asking me to get the VSC ECU re-programmed by the dealer. I rang them to see if they could do that while it is in for the Spot Weld check today and they said it was already on the job sheet.

Got the car back mid-afternoon, all sorted, nice and clean and a quarter tank of fuel to cover the 54 mile round trip to the dealer. Reminding me why I drive a Lexus.😬

• Like 2

Has anyone experienced the noisy  engine  when swiftly driven, particularly on the 350h.?

Tel

Spot weld and VSC recalls completed at dealer today. Thankfully the spot weld problem not affecting my car. All done in about an hour whilst I enjoyed coffee and biscuits in the Lexus lounge. Brilliant service as always -that's why we buy a Lexus!

Also got a full safety check on the car and a quarter tank of fuel with the dealers compliments.

• Like 2

So will need to arrange a Test drive to evaluate the 350h engine as my 2021 F-Sport with AVS is  very refined.

Just bought the Boss an Aygo Cross Auto which now has a 7 speed CVT g'box & 18 " wheels----it too is very refined .

Toyota/Lexus  drive trains are refined & the UXe  approaches perfection but more than 50% of Global road tests find the 2022 NX  noisy when extended-----probably needs more sound proofing.

Tel