Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ABS Sensor Replacement

Wardair

Hi everyone,

I am replacing my rear reluctor rings and need to remove the hub but the nearside ABS sensor is seized in the hub and will probably break when forced. In anticipation of this disaster I have bought a replacement sensor (from Germany it is a hard to find part in the UK) and want to know how to access the internal connectors somewhere behind the rear left wheel arch, are they accessed behind the rear seat or do you reach them from the boot? Also where do I get the wheel arch liner edge fixings, they look like small plastic rivets?

I bought a repair manual pdf on-line but whilst it has lots of great info, it does not include things like seat or internal panel removal.

Can anyone out there tell me where I start or perhaps where I can get some internal body fittings removal info?

Thanks

Martin

The arch clips are a mix of push in pins and expander type plugs.

The expander ones need the centre pin pulling up before you lever out the bigger perimeter bit. 

I use fine sidecutter wire snips, tack remover screwdriver thingy and a plastic trim tool with forked end to get them out.

They should all be reuseable but they are not expensive to replace if you have to get angry with one.

IIRC the abs lead joins at a plug behind the liner within the wheelarch.

I have had to drill out severely corroded sensors.

I use silicon grease when refitting although it is unlikely you need to revisit.

when drifting the driveshaft loose on its splines through the hub always leave the nut loose on the threads to protect them.

grease the splines lightly before reassembly.

4 hours ago, Wardair said:

Hi everyone,

I am replacing my rear reluctor rings and need to remove the hub but the nearside ABS sensor is seized in the hub and will probably break when forced. In anticipation of this disaster I have bought a replacement sensor (from Germany it is a hard to find part in the UK) and want to know how to access the internal connectors somewhere behind the rear left wheel arch, are they accessed behind the rear seat or do you reach them from the boot? Also where do I get the wheel arch liner edge fixings, they look like small plastic rivets?

I bought a repair manual pdf on-line but whilst it has lots of great info, it does not include things like seat or internal panel removal.

Can anyone out there tell me where I start or perhaps where I can get some internal body fittings removal info?

Thanks

Martin

After a few hours investigating I am cancelling this request for info.

I removed rear seat to discover that is not where the connectors are located. So into the boot and some time later I had got several panels out but the left panel requires a few fittings to be removed so I went back to trying to get the ABS sensor out of the hub and after a lot of gentle persuasion success! See picture one and you can see why that sensor was struggling and a peek in the hole picture 2, shows the ring is well worn down.

So the car is now ready for my local garage to remove the hub and fit a new reluctor ring and shield. I am not really equipped to get the hub off (no garage so all work is on my drive}.

If anyone needs a brand new nearside rear ABS sensor contact me, otherwise it will be returned to Germany for a refund.

IMG_20220414_132042085.jpg

IMG_20220414_131840787.jpg

abs sensor.jpg

4 hours ago, LexusRbest said:

The arch clips are a mix of push in pins and expander type plugs.

The expander ones need the centre pin pulling up before you lever out the bigger perimeter bit. 

I use fine sidecutter wire snips, tack remover screwdriver thingy and a plastic trim tool with forked end to get them out.

They should all be reuseable but they are not expensive to replace if you have to get angry with one.

IIRC the abs lead joins at a plug behind the liner within the wheelarch.

I have had to drill out severely corroded sensors.

I use silicon grease when refitting although it is unlikely you need to revisit.

when drifting the driveshaft loose on its splines through the hub always leave the nut loose on the threads to protect them.

grease the splines lightly before reassembly.

Hi LexusRbest,

thank you for your response. when I looked behind the wheel arch liner the wires disappear through rubber grommets into the car, if you look at the picture below you can see the grommets, so the connector is inside the boot area. I gave up trying to access them and instead spent some extra effort to get the ABS sensor out of the hub.

Thanks again + regards

Martin

abs sensor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 4:54 PM, Wardair said:

Hi LexusRbest,

thank you for your response. when I looked behind the wheel arch liner the wires disappear through rubber grommets into the car, if you look at the picture below you can see the grommets, so the connector is inside the boot area. I gave up trying to access them and instead spent some extra effort to get the ABS sensor out of the hub.

Thanks again + regards

Martin

abs sensor.jpg

The reluctor rings have been replaced and the ABS is now behaving itself perfectly.

One thing that was disappointing was the mechanic at my local garage said putting a new shield in the hub was not necessary? On reflection many other cars do have exposed reluctor rings. Does anyone know why the SC430 rings are so well protected (two side shields on the drive shaft plus a hub liner/shield)?

I was reluctant to get into an argument over him not fitting the hub shields but they must be there for a reason, although that said the hub liners/shields are also the reason the rings fail when the hub rust pushes the liner/shield inwards onto the rings per the picture below.

I like to do things properly so is there a reason to take the hubs off again and fit the hub liner/shields?

IMG_6679.JPG

• Like 1