Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is aware of a method of adjusting the high beams only on a 2IS. I replaced the high beam halogen bulbs with LEDs some time ago and while they do light up nicely, they seem to be pointing quite low in front of the car, as opposed to pointing high up and lighting up long roads when driving at night. Output is still great since they are about 10,000 lumens each which is miles better than the stock halogen bulbs.

Weird thing is that low beams are fine. The only thing I can think of is the difference between the two bulbs, since a regular halogen bulb will light up in a 360 degree radius, while the LEDs that I have fitted have two opposing diodes.

Google did not yield any results on adjusting high beams only and I don't even know if that's possible. Would appreciate any tips if anyone is aware of how to adjust high beam only.

Cheers

I Think you might have problems come MOT time when headlights are checked! ( if you have to get MOT that is!) 

Either way after market LED bulbs ( Lamps actually…..”Bulbs Grow & Lamps Glow” an old Electrician told my, more than once, when I was an apprentice sparks) do not normally give out a beam pattern that is workable with the lens and diffusers that are in the car as OEM and have been designed for halogen lamps. Newer cars that have LED headlights are designed for them. I would therefore not want to be driving in front of you at night for very long!

• Like 1

I'm not from the UK so no MOT issues here. Blinding is not an issue as well since high beams are off when cars are in front anyway. I tend to travel at night and good bulbs that can light up long roads make everything easier.

Still, will try to rotate the bulbs and see if there is any improvement. Will update if I manage to make this work.

54 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Why not just get upgrade halogen bulbs? 

I agree.

I’m guessing that it’s an HB3 fitting for your models Main  beam, but I fitted the Osram Night Breaker Laser in my 2015 IS250 and have been delighted with the results.

it was like switching from a Toc H standard of lighting - and yet in fact the originals actually were halogens!

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/hb3-9005-osram-night-breaker-laser-next-generation.html

Worth a look, I suggest.

Normally the adjustment screws accessible from the top of the headlights is only the horizintal adjustment.

For the height adjustment you need to remove the plastic wheel well liner.

If you have separate low and high beams, there are sepatate adjustments for each beam for horizontal and vertical.

For maximum visibility without blinding oncoming traffic, dip the low beam to 0.2 % from the horizontal reference mark on the low beam. 

Chris.

I did previously test out upgraded halogen bulbs, however, there was barely any improvement in brightness.

As for the adjustment screws, there are only two of them available that move the entire headlight assembly vertically or horizontally. This is what prompted my initial question, in case there is a not-so-obvious way.

2 hours ago, AntC said:

As for the adjustment screws, there are only two of them available that move the entire headlight assembly vertically or horizontally.

Yes that is all there is. The headlight is a complete unit so if one beam is set correct the other one is too (if the correct bulbs are installed).

Since the low-beam light and the high-beam light are a unit, if the aim on one is correct, the other should also be correct.

Im having the same issue and i havnt even got aftermarket bulbs in the high beam.. still halogens.. and they still point too low for my liking.. Any ideas on how to make the high beams only point a bit higher please let me know! Low beams are set up correctly

11 minutes ago, JC12 said:

Im having the same issue and i havnt even got aftermarket bulbs in the high beam.. still halogens.. and they still point too low for my liking.. Any ideas on how to make the high beams only point a bit higher please let me know! Low beams are set up correctly

Check the bulbs are the correct ones and from quality brand, they are seated correct and your low beam is in fact properly adjusted. My above quote is from the official repair manual - there is no separate adjustment for high and low beams, just for the whole light assembly.

I'm going to attempt rotating the LED bulbs in a different direction to see if this will help with the aim, even though I'm pretty sure they are currently set properly. Will also stick in the original halogen bulbs to see the results.

I would have fitted an HID kit by now, however, the HID warmup period means that they aren't really viable when you have to constantly turn them on and off.

I'll make sure to post an update when I've had the chance to do this.