Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boot lid liner removal?

Localhero

I am trying to make my sc more tourer than racer! I want to fit a polished boot rack,which I used to like on former Spitfire and also an mgb, i dont want those ugly side clamps so am looking at a way to fit! I have thought of rivnuts and possibly even pop rivets but would prefer to bolt right through how easy is it to remove liner and is there a gap between  liner and lid, many thanks Stew aka Local hero

3 hours ago, Localhero said:

I am trying to make my sc more tourer than racer! I want to fit a polished boot rack,which I used to like on former Spitfire and also an mgb, i dont want those ugly side clamps so am looking at a way to fit! I have thought of rivnuts and possibly even pop rivets but would prefer to bolt right through how easy is it to remove liner and is there a gap between  liner and lid, many thanks Stew aka Local hero

Hi Stew, there is a frame that gives the boot-lid it's strength but if you're brave enough, it's not too difficult to drill straight through it. It will depend on where you intend to fix the rack but it might even be possible to do it by loosening each side of the liner. Ideally you want each of the bolts to go through the frame to get a strong fixing point.

When I attached the big rear spoiler it did feel like the point of no return. If we take the SC to the Highlands for 2 weeks, the roof stays on until we reach base camp but even carrying the space-saver, I'm surprised at just how much does actually fit in the boot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil E said:

Hi Stew, there is a frame that gives the boot-lid it's strength but if you're brave enough, it's not too difficult to drill straight through it. It will depend on where you intend to fix the rack but it might even be possible to do it by loosening each side of the liner. Ideally you want each of the bolts to go through the frame to get a strong fixing point.

When I attached the big rear spoiler it did feel like the point of no return. If we take the SC to the Highlands for 2 weeks, the roof stays on until we reach base camp but even carrying the space-saver, I'm surprised at just how much does actually fit in the boot.

Thanks Neil, i will probably never carry anything on it just like the look of them drilling 4 x8mm holes in my newly sprayed boot is not something I look forward,  if I bolt thru cross member I will also have to bolt thru carpet as well unless using rivnuts

Screenshot_20220324-123854_Chrome.jpg

20220322_200449.jpg

Hi Stewart 

Like Neil, I think you are very brave to fit a boot rack that you possibly may not use.

If you do use it, I would be much happier with bolts considering the effects of drag on a case mounted on it. 

You could always buy fitted luggage which fits perfectly into the boot...just a thought.

Anthony

• Like 1

Tbh it's not about luggage I am trying to make my car more of the classic roadster that it is, I have even got mudflaps!!! and it's undergoing some paintwork🤔

IMG-20220414-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220414-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220414-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220414-WA0004.jpg

• Like 1

I love that blue. It's the best colour for an SC430. 👍

I do 'get' the styling of the luggage rack 'classic' look and why not if that's how you see it? Some of the curves in the bodywork are not unlike much earlier sports roadsters.

The rack in your pic looks better than this one. Some allowance will need to be made for the curve of the huge boot-lid.

lexus cabriolet sc430 with a revo rack luggage rack fitted photographed from the side in a field on a sunny day

39 minutes ago, Neil E said:

I do 'get' the styling of the luggage rack 'classic' look and why not if that's how you see it? Some of the curves in the bodywork are not unlike much earlier sports roadsters.

The rack in your pic looks better than this one. Some allowance will need to be made for the curve of the huge boot-lid.

lexus cabriolet sc430 with a revo rack luggage rack fitted photographed from the side in a field on a sunny day

38 minutes ago, Neil E said:

• Like 1

Thanks for comments 👍so far it's going the way I want it, my wheels I love the classic style of bbs but not the quality of these calibra fakes had tyres done on tuesday👍

20220412_104859.jpg

20220412_170032.jpg

20220412_170016.jpg

20220412_170047.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LexusRbest said:

If you don't want to drill the lid what about using an auto adhesive bond like sikaflex to attach it.The glass bond stiff one needs a primer.

Aston Martin use it to glue chassis together.

Thanks but may want to remove it so if I use bolts or rivnuts the firm I bought off do chrome or ss studs to cover the 4 holes up but sikaflex  is a great idea even pop rivets have a 500lb tensile strength?? Ps this is a porsche boxter rack  with alterations to fit Lexus £220 if anyones interested thanks Stew

• Like 1