Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400H Suddenly Stopped while driving

Hi,

I have Lexus RX400H 2008 model (Toyota Harrier Hybrid), the issue is the vehicle stopping while driving, then it shows Check VSC system and Hybrid control system. I faced this many times. While driving vehicle suddenly disengage driving and can't control steering wheel. Since the vehicle still moving can be park with saftly. Then swich off ignition and then switch on all the errors are fixed. 

So have done following things but issue is still the same.

*. Changed the normal Battery.

* Changed the hybrid Battery.

* Change the Hybrid Battery control module.

* Change the temparature sensors.

* Swaped with same inveter.

Non of above method worked. I am in very curious situation what to do next. It seems issue is with power steering or hybrid system. 

Can anyone give your valuble ideas on this issue. 

B1F399BA-C722-4D7C-A07C-0752D338F6D8.png

• Sad 1

Take it to the dealership and get the error codes read, or at very least a hybrid health check. If you really have done all you listed here you have no problems spending money! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Take it to the dealership and get the error codes read, or at very least a hybrid health check. If you really have done all you listed here you have no problems spending money! 

Dealerships can vary in their helpfulness with imports. You may have more luck at a Toyota dealer than a Lexus one. You certainly won't be able to get an official HCC as the system won't recognise the reg/VIN they enter at the start when performing the test, but the individual tests can all be carried out just using Techstream anyway so they should be able to diagnose the problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gayan Ranasinghe said:

Hi,

I have Lexus RX400H 2008 model (Toyota Harrier Hybrid), the issue is the vehicle stopping while driving, then it shows Check VSC system and Hybrid control system. I faced this many times. While driving vehicle suddenly disengage driving and can't control steering wheel. Since the vehicle still moving can be park with saftly. Then swich off ignition and then switch on all the errors are fixed. 

So have done following things but issue is still the same.

*. Changed the normal battery.

* Changed the hybrid battery.

* Change the Hybrid battery control module.

* Change the temparature sensors.

* Swaped with same inveter.

Non of above method worked. I am in very curious situation what to do next. It seems issue is with power steering or hybrid system. 

Can anyone give your valuble ideas on this issue. 

B1F399BA-C722-4D7C-A07C-0752D338F6D8.png

Have you, or has anyone, done any proper diagnostic fault-finding on this car or are you just throwing money and parts at it and hoping that something will work at some point?

The error messages are just an indication that something, somewhere, is going (or gone) faulty. This is the sign that you need to take it to a Lexus dealer or any other garage that has access to Techstream to have the OBD codes read. You could even do it yourself with a generic code reader, but Techstream is the same diagnostic software used by the techs in the Lexus dealer workshops.

Even when you get a code, even that is not guaranteed to be the fault itself, merely just the starting point for more in-depth diagnostics. For instance, code P0AA6 covers SIX possible problem areas. Generic code readers would probably stay at that, but Techstream goes further by also giving sub-codes and narrowing it down more. For example, P0AA6-123* points to one thing; P0AA6-124* points to a different thing; P0AA6-125* something else again, and so on.

*Not real sub-codes, just for illustration.

So, you need to have the codes read and then come back to tell us what they are and maybe we can help, but until then it's all just random guesswork.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my 2008 Rx400h. Took it to the Lexus dealer in Kingsport, Tennessee and they claim it's a defect in the "gutter" drainage design and that water gets into the hybrid system, hence the "Engine Check" light displays check hybid system.

We contacted Lexus headquarters in the US and they responded with it's "not anything we can do about it", basically saying tough luck! This is a dangerous and potentially catastrophic situation if the vehicle dies suddently on a freeway putting passengers in peril. I cannot in all honesty sell the car as it is, but I can't spend $8,000 to repair it as they estimated. 

My husband is an attorney in Florida and is willing to open a class action suit against Lexus to get them to repair or replace all defective vehicles and NOT put people's lives at risk each and every time they get into their vehicles.  If anyone is having a similar situation, you can call his office at 954-764-7600 ext 303 and perhaps together we can put pressure on Lexus to own up to this horrific defect by doing the right thing for their Lexus car owners before one of us ends up in the morgue!