Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


2009 RX400h Timing belt or chain?


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, not quite new to Lexus. I used to own a 2004 RX300 which I kept 7 years, drove 120k miles with it and sold at 180k miles. I replaced it with a Mercedes R class, which was a costly mistake! Consequently, I am about to purchase a 2009 RX400h with 128000 on the clock, but I can't figure out (nor the current owner!) if it is chain or belt driven. I know that earlier models have a belt, but did Lexus equip later models with a chain?

Many thanks for your expert input on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


12 minutes ago, Migg said:

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, not quite new to Lexus. I used to own a 2004 RX300 which I kept 7 years, drove 120k miles with it and sold at 180k miles. I replaced it with a Mercedes R class, which was a costly mistake! Consequently, I am about to purchase a 2009 RX400h with 128000 on the clock, but I can't figure out (nor the current owner!) if it is chain or belt driven. I know that earlier models have a belt, but did Lexus equip later models with a chain?

Many thanks for your expert input on this.

Have a read Mike.

And a warm welcome to you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/298333-does-the-rx400h-uses-timing-belt-or-chain.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Hi,

Thanks for this. I had seen this discussion before, and it does seem to suggest that the car is belt driven, but I can't manage to get a definite answer. I guess what I need is someone who has a 400h of the same year to tell me for definite.

The current owner who had it for 3 years hadn't even heard of timing belt replacement, but checked in his service booklet for me and saw that the "belt inspection" item of the service list had been crossed for "chain"...hence my confusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Migg said:

Hi,

Thanks for this. I had seen this discussion before, and it does seem to suggest that the car is belt driven, but I can't manage to get a definite answer. I guess what I need is someone who has a 400h of the same year to tell me for definite.

The current owner who had it for 3 years hadn't even heard of timing belt replacement, but checked in his service booklet for me and saw that the "belt inspection" item of the service list had been crossed for "chain"...hence my confusion.

Spacewagon 52 will know and I`m sure he will note this Posting Mike.

You are not alone in finding that Mercs  (and Audi/BMW) can be costly mistakes.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Spacewagon 52 will know and I`m sure he will note this Posting Mike.

You are not alone in finding that Mercs  (and Audi/BMW) can be costly mistakes.

Mine gave up on me on a French motorway! It sounded like a spun rod bearing...on a well looked after 100k V6 350CDI engine... Utterly shocking!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 minutes ago, Migg said:

Mine gave up on me on a French motorway! It sounded like a spun rod bearing...on a well looked after 100k V6 350CDI engine... Utterly shocking!

My Water Pump gave up on me (E Class Est 220 cdi) gave upon me just North of the border with Spain some years ago om the French Autoroute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

My Water Pump gave up on me (E Class Est 220 cdi) gave upon me just North of the border with Spain some years ago om the French Autoroute.

... therefore, back to the reassuring and comfortable predictability of Lexus. Really nothing compares!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Migg said:

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, not quite new to Lexus. I used to own a 2004 RX300 which I kept 7 years, drove 120k miles with it and sold at 180k miles. I replaced it with a Mercedes R class, which was a costly mistake! Consequently, I am about to purchase a 2009 RX400h with 128000 on the clock, but I can't figure out (nor the current owner!) if it is chain or belt driven. I know that earlier models have a belt, but did Lexus equip later models with a chain?

Many thanks for your expert input on this.

All 400h, of all ages, have a cam belt (as do the RX300/RX330). Only the series III 450h onwards has a chain driven engine.

It should be changed every 100k/10 years. If it breaks it will almost certainly damage valves/pistons as the engine is an interference design.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

All 400h, of all ages, have a cam belt (as do the RX300/RX330). Only the series III 450h onwards has a chain driven engine.

It should be changed every 100k/10 years. If it breaks it will almost certainly damage valves/pistons as the engine is an interference design.

Ok, that seems to clear the matter. Many thanks for your input 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership