Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Decipher the oil dip stick

So that's where I get confused.

When I changed oil last year I put in 7 litre oil and still it wouldn't move. 

Then few weeks back I saw a message about oil warning in red on dash LCD but it went away fast. So I checked the dip stick and the same result. So I filled in a litre more. And this is what the dip stick shows. I have cleaned it many times now.

Car has failed on MOT lambda value. I have seen engine code p0420 and p0430. So I need to understand if the engine is consuming oil.

7 litres is way too much. It should only need 6.3 litres.

If you cannot get an accurate reading from the dip stick then get some clear silicone tubing. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PNRCZXX

Lay it out against the dipstick and with a permanent pen mark the low and high points as well as the top of the dipstick where it stops against the tube. Then insert into the tube until you reach the top mark, finger over the hole, withdraw and you will clearly see the true level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johnatg said:

The codes indicate cat system operating below threshold - cats or the lambda sensors could have been damaged by too much oil

Yes that is possible but it is quite common on the IS250 for this to be a leak in the exhaust, especially at the age these vehicles are now at.

• Like 1

On IS250 oil need to be measured on fully warm engine, which is kind of annoying, because whilst engine is running oil will always shows low as it splashes around. So basically the only way to accurately measure it - get it warm, turn off the engine and measure after waiting 15 min. As well at least in my experience dipstick tends to smear all over so some deciphering is always needed. 

I've had luck checking the engine when cold. You need to pull the dipstick out quite quickly in my experience and try to avoid smearing it on the dipstick tube on the way out. Generally there is a 'break' in the oil and that gives you your level.

32 minutes ago, samplify said:

I've had luck checking the engine when cold. You need to pull the dipstick out quite quickly in my experience and try to avoid smearing it on the dipstick tube on the way out. Generally there is a 'break' in the oil and that gives you your level.

I've found this the best method too.

I know the advice is to check when hot, I believe this is to allow for expansion, so just make an allowance that the level may be below the max when cold.

Yes - cold oil will always show low, checking hot is official Lexus instructions. Of course the difference isn't that massive, so one can get general understanding whenever they are low or not even on cold engine. But I would advise checking when hot once you do top-up to confirm it is at correct level.  

May sound daft, but make sure the dipstick is clean! Polish or wax residue from an old rag can transfer to the stick. Clean the stick with thinners or grease remover, dip it, and then use a clean rag or tissue.

Anyone knows the part number of the lambda sensor? Thinking of order that plus the mid exhaust section. Don't have a local lexus and will be using PN at Toyota.

How many would I need ?

Thanks

TBH if you have no warning lights regarding the O2 sensors I would leave them until failure.

The post cat ones rarely fail.

Part numbers as shown, please ensure you are sitting comfortably before viewing 😀

462070ED-ABB4-4CA8-BF2B-0500C6A2001E.png

26A89A74-9DDE-495D-8175-1D0BDEFAE5C9.png

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links