Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Types of seat leather

I've recently purchased an IS300h F-Sport with Takumi pack, and have previously owned an IS300h Premier (equivelant to the modern day Takumi grade)

Lexus tell me that the type seat leather used in both these models/grades is exactly the same, namely what they call "Smooth (standard) leather (mid-grade)".

They go on to tell me that the "best" leather is their "Semi-aniline leather (higher quality leather)" but have not told me which models this is included with.

Apart from wondering why the highest quality leather is not used in their highest grades (i.e. Takumi) I am certain that the leather in my old Premier model was far softer and more comfortable/luxurious then the leather in my current F-Sport with Takumi pack. Lexus insists it is the same but I am not convinced. Also, why would they not use the highest grade leather in their highest grade range?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this subject and might be able to confirm if 1) the leather used in Takumi packs is the same as that used in the general Takumi range and whether this is the "standard mid grade" leather, or does the Takumi grade (and the previou Premier grades) use the better quality Semi-aniline leather?

Thanks

The semi aniline leather is usually reserved for the top end vehicles i.e. RX, LS, LC etc

You'd know if this was the case as if you tried cleaning it in a small area with a wet cloth and leather cleaner you might get some dye transfer

The other way to test is using water. Sprinkle water on the seat and if it sits on the surface it's likely mid grade.

As far as I remember the leather across the IS was the same apart from some models which got the imitation leather. Not particularly sure whether this happened at facelift too without looking at the brochures.

I know the 2013-17 f sports had real leather though

26 minutes ago, mickypd said:

Also, why would they not use the highest grade leather in their highest grade range?

Too expensive, and needs more care, for the average IS owner to accept. Semi-aniline leather is in the higher end vehicles, not just the grade - RX, LS, LC and GS (when it was available). The IS300h has never had it.

Leather, being a natural product, will have some variance, especially year to year as it may well come from different suppliers.

Are you sure it isn't just the seat itself that is harder which makes you think it is a difference in the leather?

Thanks for the replies, Lexus told me that the IS300 used those types of leather but maybe I or they misunderstood and the higher spec is only on the RX, LS, etc. as suggested by Colin.

However, I am certain that the leather in my Premier was much softer and nicer than the F-Sport Takumi, I also tried the rear seats which I think would be identical in both cars (F-Sport front seats are "sports seats" of course with different design which might make a difference in comfort, feel, etc.)

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

The IS300h has never had it.

That is not true, IS had real leather trough most of the model lifetime. mk1 and mk2 when they had "leather" it was always only real semi-aniline leather with exception of F-sport (2010-2012) which in UK got only half-leather interior with Alcantara (in rest of the world, there it was optional), as well mk1 Sport had full cloth or cloth interior with leather bolsters, but again when optional leather was specified it was actually real leather. IS mk3 was step backwards in terms of quality at launch, still most of the range had semi-aniline leather when leather interior was specified, and Premier had it as standard - see here: https://autocatalogarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Lexus-IS-2015-UK.pdf

However, after facelift the quality went further downwards - after facelift even when leather was specified it was mostly fake (Tahara) which I feel is disingenuous. If it is not leather don't call it leather!

IS Takumi should have semi-aniline leather, that is the only model which get's it - the rest of the range uses plastic bags instead for leather (NuLuxe). I always believed that F-Sport with Takumi pack should get real leather too, but now I am no longer so sure, because F-Sport without Takumi Pack did not have it in the final years. Same for RC - my F-sport had full leather (2016), but when seat failed Lexus chosen to fix it for £4200 instead of replacing entire seat, part of my speculation is that replacement seat would have been made of Tahara and would have looked significantly different, because after facelift RC F-Sport lost real leather, only Takumi had it. Kind of disappointing really - don't like when something that that isn't leather is advertised as leather. Likewise when getting Takumi pack I would expect "Takumi quality" not just the name. Sadly I can't find detailed 2020 brochure for UK to confirm.

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

That is not true, IS had real leather trough most of the model lifetime. mk1 and mk2 when they had "leather" it was always only real semi-aniline leather with exception of F-sport (2010-2012) which in UK got only half-leather interior with Alcantara (in rest of the world, there it was optional), as well mk1 Sport had full cloth or cloth interior with leather bolsters, but again when optional leather was specified it was actually real leather. IS mk3 was step backwards in terms of quality at launch, still most of the range had semi-aniline leather when leather interior was specified, and Premier had it as standard - see here: https://autocatalogarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Lexus-IS-2015-UK.pdf

However, after facelift the quality went further downwards - after facelift even when leather was specified it was mostly fake (Tahara) which I feel is disingenuous. If it is not leather don't call it leather!

IS Takumi should have semi-aniline leather, that is the only model which get's it - the rest of the range uses plastic bags instead for leather (NuLuxe). I always believed that F-Sport with Takumi pack should get real leather too, but now I am no longer so sure, because F-Sport without Takumi Pack did not have it in the final years. Same for RC - my F-sport had full leather (2016), but when seat failed Lexus chosen to fix it for £4200 instead of replacing entire seat, part of my speculation is that replacement seat would have been made of Tahara and would have looked significantly different, because after facelift RC F-Sport lost real leather, only Takumi had it. Kind of disappointing really - don't like when something that that isn't leather is advertised as leather. Likewise when getting Takumi pack I would expect "Takumi quality" not just the name. Sadly I can't find detailed 2020 brochure for UK to confirm.

Linas, what drivel are you spewing out?

"IS mk3 was step backwards in terms of quality at launch, still most of the range had semi-aniline leather when leather interior was specified, and Premier had it as standard"

There is no mention of semi-aniline leather in the 2013-16 brochure. The F-Sport and the Premier had the same leather and it was certainly not semi-aniline.

Additionally, even in the 2013-16 brochure, they were advertising Tahara as "Leather effect" and it says multiple times "Tahara trim" in the brochure on page 56.

3 hours ago, mickypd said:

However, I am certain that the leather in my Premier was much softer and nicer than the F-Sport Takumi,

F-Sport with Takumi pack will have the same seats as the 'simple' F-Sport. Takumi pack only adds the tech from the Takumi grade.

As stated, semi aniline is an uncoated leather, wonderful to touch but a real pain to keep clean. I had the Merc equivalent in my C class and had to clean the seats every week... (and not with your standard leather cleaners!)

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

, because after facelift RC F-Sport lost real leather, only Takumi had

Sorry but I think you have it wrong there! I had the first RC F-Sport and now have the facelift F-Sport and they have exactly the same leather seats.

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

don't like when something that that isn't leather is advertised as leather.

Lexus has never to my knowledge ever advertised 'fake' leather as leather, they always have been clear that it is leather 'look' 

11 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Sorry but I think you have it wrong there! I had the first RC F-Sport and now have the facelift F-Sport and they have exactly the same leather seats.

I am quite certain it is not the case - pre-facelift F-Sport had real leather (maybe not semi-aniline, but it was real leather), face-lift had Tahara an no other options for F-Sport.

19 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I am quite certain it is not the case - pre-facelift F-Sport had real leather (maybe not semi-aniline, but it was real leather), face-lift had Tahara an no other options for F-Sport.

That's not true.

The brochure for the facelifted RC clearly states smooth leather on F Sport and Takumi with Tahara on base spec

Lexus_RC_e-brochure.pdf

13 minutes ago, rayaans said:

That's not true.

The brochure for the facelifted RC clearly states smooth leather on F Sport and Takumi with Tahara on Luxury spec

Plus a leather pack option on the Luxury spec, giving smooth leather seats

18 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

F-Sport with Takumi pack will have the same seats as the 'simple' F-Sport. Takumi pack only adds the tech from the Takumi grade.

As stated, semi aniline is an uncoated leather, wonderful to touch but a real pain to keep clean. I had the Merc equivalent in my C class and had to clean the seats every week... (and not with your standard leather cleaners!)

That's not right. The basic F-Sport has cloth upholstery but if you have either the "Premium Pack" or "Takumi Pack" you get what is descibed in the spec sheet as "leather upholstery" (the spec for the ordinary IS300 Takumi adds the word "smooth"). However when you look at the specific Pack details later in the spec sheet both the "Premium" and "Takumi" packs (offered on the F-Sport) specifically mention "smooth" leather" so there is a contradiction. 

Lexus are telling me that both the F-Sport Takumi has exactly the same leather as the (ordinary) Takumi grade car and I'm not sure they are giving me the right info - I believe the F-Sport (Takumi pack) leather is inferior to the usual Takumi grade leather (i.e. not "smooth"). My old Premier model's leather certainly felt much better and was more comfortable then my current F-Sport Takumi. If Lexus ARE correct telling me it is exactly the same then their spec sheet is unclear.

28 minutes ago, mickypd said:

That's not right. The basic F-Sport has cloth upholstery but if you have either the "Premium Pack" or "Takumi Pack" you get what is descibed in the spec sheet as "leather upholstery" (the spec for the ordinary IS300 Takumi adds the word "smooth"). However when you look at the specific Pack details later in the spec sheet both the "Premium" and "Takumi" packs (offered on the F-Sport) specifically mention "smooth" leather" so there is a contradiction. 

Lexus are telling me that both the F-Sport Takumi has exactly the same leather as the (ordinary) Takumi grade car and I'm not sure they are giving me the right info - I believe the F-Sport (Takumi pack) leather is inferior to the usual Takumi grade leather (i.e. not "smooth"). My old Premier model's leather certainly felt much better and was more comfortable then my current F-Sport Takumi. If Lexus ARE correct telling me it is exactly the same then their spec sheet is unclear.

Takumi and F Sport Premium/Takumi packs have the same leather as you've noted by the specific pack details.

The base F Sport has fabric and Tahara synthetic leather.

I would say that there might be a variation in leather based on suppliers but other than that, unlikely.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Takumi and F Sport Premium/Takumi packs have the same leather as you've noted by the specific pack details.

The base F Sport has fabric and Tahara synthetic leather.

I would say that there might be a variation in leather based on suppliers but other than that, unlikely.

Don't you mean the base RC has Tahara synthetic leather, (with the option of the leather pack giving smooth leather) ? The brochure you linked clearly shows the F-Sport RC comes with smooth leather as standard

15 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Don't you mean the base RC has Tahara synthetic leather, (with the option of the leather pack giving smooth leather) ? The brochure you linked clearly shows the F-Sport RC comes with smooth leather as standard

No I mean the base IS F Sport comes with Tahara and fabric trim

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 2:20 PM, Linas.P said:

That is not true, IS had real leather trough most of the model lifetime

Way to misquote.

The reply was in relation to Lexus' top grade leather which is semi-aniline (Lexus don't use aniline leather). The IS300h never had semi-aniline leather seats.