Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Electronics acting up? Is this a common issue?

Hi there!

I seem to have a few of the electronics acting up from time to time. The other day my sunroof wouldn't close. It would close and then bounce back to open. I guess this could also be mechanical somehow. But after a few tries it finally close.

Now I noticed that I can't open any other of my windows besides the driver's side. It doesn't matter if the window lock button is pressed in or not. Fuse?

Are electronics glitches of this nature common with these cars?

Apart from that, love the car! :) 

You probably need to reset the windows - drive each one up and down with its own door switch, pausing for a few seconds at the up and down positions. Same with the sunroof but I'm not sure how you reset that - may be you've done it by getting it closed.

• Like 1

Thanks. Indeed I had to disconnect the Battery recently. The resetting of the windows switches and sunroof worked a treat. Thanks. :)

I'm also having problems with my rear parking sensors and wonder if it's also related to the Battery disconnect? Front work and beeps. Rear only shows the visual graphics but doesn't beep.

On another unrelated subject, anybody knows a good product to restore the dash and door rubber/plastic? It seems the previous owners must have used something to try to restore it and it went wrong. Maybe something fatty or I don't know. But the whole surface gets this white-ish spotty look. It depends on the temperature outside. It's not sticky. I know the IS is famous for getting sticky. But I guess this is only in the hot climates. But mine definitely could use some care. It's difficult to capture in the photos but here are some:

Untitled2.jpg

In the phot above, the left portion which looks white-ish is supposed to look like the area around the handle. 

Untitled0.jpg

The photo above and bellow show the exact same area. But bellow I used my fingers to wipe it. You can see the marks of my fingers. It's as if it is a bity fatty or something.

Untitled1.jpg

Looks like maybe the wrong type of product was used. Something glossy or silicon-based.

Whatever it is, you need to get rid of it before applying anything else. I would recommend using a good quality all-purpose cleaner (Koch Chemie Green Star is my fave) diluted down with water to about 1:10 in a spray bottle. Use it in conjunction with a soft-bristle detailing brush to agitate the surface. Then wipe clean with a damp microfibre cloth.

Assuming it's not been permanently damaged, that should restore things to a nice clean and matt finish.

You could then call it a day at this point, or add a water-based dressing that claims to offer UV protection, and anti-static properties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lex_utor said:

Thanks. Indeed I had to disconnect the battery recently. The resetting of the windows switches and sunroof worked a treat. Thanks. 🙂

I'm also having problems with my rear parking sensors and wonder if it's also related to the battery disconnect? Front work and beeps. Rear only shows the visual graphics but doesn't beep.

On another unrelated subject, anybody knows a good product to restore the dash and door rubber/plastic? It seems the previous owners must have used something to try to restore it and it went wrong. Maybe something fatty or I don't know. But the whole surface gets this white-ish spotty look. It depends on the temperature outside. It's not sticky. I know the IS is famous for getting sticky. But I guess this is only in the hot climates. But mine definitely could use some care. It's difficult to capture in the photos but here are some:

Untitled2.jpg

In the phot above, the left portion which looks white-ish is supposed to look like the area around the handle. 

Untitled0.jpg

The photo above and bellow show the exact same area. But bellow I used my fingers to wipe it. You can see the marks of my fingers. It's as if it is a bity fatty or something.

Untitled1.jpg

It would be good if you create separate thread for it as that way it would get more appropriate responses.

What you have here is well known Lexus IS mk2 issue starting to manifests itself - that is so called "sticky dash". It is caused by overheating interior trim in sunlight and could get especially bad if somebody uses wrong product. There is no real solution, but it is possible to make it noticeably better and delay the process - in your case I am sure you can make dash to look as new.

To address this I used alkaline APC to clean the panel from any oils and dirt - like Koch Chemie GS (in 1:10 ratio with water), or Bilt Hamber Surfex HD (probably in 1:30), overall any APC in right concentration would do. Just agitate it with interior brush and wipe dry with microfiber. This should remove the uneven shine, stickiness and oxidation - so do it until you have even matte finish.

Then apply some form of protection, like Gtechniq C6 Matte Dash for nice matte finish. I have even used Gtechniq T1 Tyre Gel few times, worked well to restore badly faded trim, but it leaves more shiny surface and it is harder to get even application. It used to be called "Tyres and Trim" and yes I know intention of the product was exterior trim, but because Lexus dash and doors uses kind of rubberised plastic it works relatively well and it provides protection from UV. Just be careful not to sling it anywhere else.

@J Henderson - I typed my answer and then realised you have already said pretty much the same thing - so I just second that!

• Like 2

Thanks gents. The idea of an own thread for the problem is good. But now, since you both have made recommendations, I should probably try that first? As it might solve the problem. Just not sure I can find those products around here. Hopefully they are not UK specific.

By the way, anything to add about my rear parking sensors? 😊

13 minutes ago, Texas said:

Do all rear sensors look to be OK?

Physically you mean? I have not noticed any broken optically. And I have not been hit or hit anything. But tomorrow morning I will have another look. The optical yellow range warning still shows up on the screen when I reverse. Just no sound. 

2 hours ago, Lex_utor said:

Just not sure I can find those products around here. Hopefully they are not UK specific.

By the way, anything to add about my rear parking sensors? 😊

Koch Chemie is a German brand. Meguiars APC is a good alternative if that's easier to obtain.

GS.thumb.jpg.0c7956af9763173844a5a4007611fe3d.jpg

Sorry can't help with your park sensors. Mine just work and always have done.

• Like 1

It is actually quite hard to get certain professional detailing products in many countries (Koch Chemie - I consider "professional grade" lol), in which case I suggest trying to find online detailers store, it may even be in another country, but they often have free shipping in Europe if you buy for 50 Euro+. And that isn't really difficult to achieve - GS is surprising cheap (good value -hence very popular), but dash UV protection will be like 15 Euro, set of soft interior brushes another 10, pack of microfibers cloths another 10 and suddenly you at 50. In UK I am using in2detailing as they often have good prices and you can always use cheeky discount code (DW10) for 10% off, not sure if they ship to Europe or anywhere else in the world (but I guess with brex**** that would not work very well). 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. 

In sad news, I was just told that I will need to replace my fuel tank. 😞

Big bill!!!

It seems there is no chance of an aftermarket part and needs to be Lexus? I was also not successful in finding a suitable used one. The labour is intense on this and doubles the price. 😞

I guess the IS250 has an unique tank and shares with no other Lexus? Tank, heat shield and the holders all must be changed. Rust! 😭

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I don’t know where you are and how much Lexus have quoted but...

194AEFC7-566A-4C0E-822B-1BB2F082EB36.png

I was quoted over 800 Euros. Is the above shipped from Japan? Because then there is shipping and importing taxes on top of it, which would probably explain the amount I was quoted. 

On 4/30/2022 at 1:22 PM, steve2006 said:

I don’t know where you are and how much Lexus have quoted but...

194AEFC7-566A-4C0E-822B-1BB2F082EB36.png

According to the screen capture above, the tank is the same for all second gen Lexus IS?