Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 400 1993 MOT fail

Lien

New to me Ls 400 1993 has just failed its MOT on a broken rear coil spring and I am having trouble tracking one down.

I can see from previous post the part I require is a KYB RD5979. Anyone got any ideas were I can get hold of one in this country.

On the positive side that was the only thing it failed on and it has been off the road for 3 years.

that sounds a brilliant outcome, well done 

have you tried Lexus main dealer ?  Amayama or Rockauto ........  these are the usual for older cars

or  LexusPartsDirect maybe 

Good luck

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

Just search on eBay using the part number you gave and I have just seen two adverts, I think the price was £48 

I have had 3 of my cars have broken springs this year which I guess can only be bad luck. 
good to hear you are putting the 400 back on the road

good luck

• Like 1

Just a quick update ended up buying one  and onlyKYB spring from Germany.Had it fitted passed mot good result but car now lopsided.

Garage sourced another spring and fitted now even although looks a little high.

Spent the weekend replacing alternator and belt now system charging all good.

Next problem is the sound system is only working on one side and muffled sound on other side. Subwoofer is also not working. I am sure it was.

Any ideas please? Much appreciated.

great news with yor springs ............. no idea here on radios etc 

I'm sure someone will come to your aid soon

Malc

The taller springs will settle a little over the next couple of thousand miles.

No idea on LS400 radio & speakers.
On the 430 the sub is prone to tearing it's suspension foam and can be re-foamed.
If you have no sound at all from the sub and one side of the rest of the system is quiet, then I would suspect the Amplifier, wherever that is on a 93 LS400.

Ok Thanks.

Good news about the springs and I sure when I fill up with petrol it will settle down a bit.

I don't know where the amp is either, CD player is in the boot.

Lien you're going to end up with a very fine early sort after car at the end of the day

Lucky you ....  what;s the mileage etc ? .  

Malc

Sorry, I'm a bit late to help regarding the springs which I just replaced last month.

The sub not working might be disturbed wiring when they took the rear seat out to take out the rear suspension.  I can't remember if there was any visible wiring to the sub when I worked on my car... 

The seat base is very easy to remove, lift hard along the front edge and then pull forward and out.  The seat back has a a few bolts holding it in and then it's a matter of lifting it up and out, a little fiddly but not too difficult.

This guide really helped me when I worked on my car:

1995 LS400 rear seat removal w/pictures - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

I had a broken rear spring a few years ago and even then stock was limited.

I replaced both with KYB springs and the rear did sit higher.

The amplifier is integrated into the head unit, mine also failed (Premium Sound System) so I hard wired an after market head unit and sub amp.

First thing I would check are the speakers, the cones tend to rot.

The sub wiring is all in the boot so shouldn’t have been disturbed.

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve I have checked the balance control which seems to work, but if your turn it to the passenger side I just get a muffed quiet sound.

The subwoofer no sound and when I put a Multimeter on it I got 6.3v.

The Cassette player doesn't work and the CD is a bit hit and miss as it comes up with err display sometimes.

3 hours ago, Lien said:

The Cassette player doesn't work

couldn't live without my cassette player in my car ......... Richard Burton talking stuff mainly ........  Taming of some goddam Shrew :whistling:

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links