Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice needed.

Evening fellow F ers, 

apologies for a long text BUT I need advice on my head numbing predicament,

right, I’ve had my ISF seven years and hasn’t been a daily driver, I’ve always had a daily BUT I’ve now been relocated to central London and train it, I’ve a daily estate and the dogs get thrown in it along with everything else, the daily is basically knackered and repairs are more than it’s worth, my problem is this was for the dogs, trips to Spain and throwing our kayaks on, the issue I need advice on is what to do?

do I get a roof rack for the ISF, allow 2 dogs in it regularly and use it as a whenever and wherever car?

it’s immaculate! 😢 and my only other option is to sell and buy a “one car fits all”…….. the wife’s car isn’t big enough and she doesn’t particularly want to change hers, I don’t really either as we’ve had it for a few years and it’s been 100% perfect.

at present I have 2 cars sat idle on the drive, I was going to buy another estate car BUT the wife is moaning about the costs of running two houses, three cars and a motorcycle…… I’m starting to get the two cars going nowhere though.

cheers

Paul

Mmmmmm-

Options -

1. Volvo V90 Twin Engine - one car does all

2. Volvo V60 Polestar

3. Dump wife, give her a house and buy a Volvo P1800

I think I have covered all the options, therefore there is no need for any further responses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sounds like time to shift your isf to someone else who can enjoy it.

Get a one car that fits all. The comment about your wife ‘s ideation says it all, unless you plan to divorce her.

life is full of difficult choices. Follow the one that is easiest if it is regarding your cars.

barry

• Like 1

It's a car.

Just use it as a car is meant to be used. 

There's only me and the wife here and she doesn't drive, so no need for a second car. Consequently our 2018 RX450h gets used daily for everything; supermarket runs, tip runs, pleasure runs and full-on road trips to Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and so on.

People should be loved and things should be used. Having said that, I do love my RX and I would be sad and upset if it got pranged in a car park or whatever, but I never lose sight of it being just a car, or a tool to do things.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Herbie said:

It's a car.

Just use it as a car is meant to be used. 

There's only me and the wife here and she doesn't drive, so no need for a second car. Consequently our 2018 RX450h gets used daily for everything; supermarket runs, tip runs, pleasure runs and full-on road trips to Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and so on.

People should be loved and things should be used. Having said that, I do love my RX and I would be sad and upset if it got pranged in a car park or whatever, but I never lose sight of it being just a car, or a tool to do things.

Tbh the car has been to Spain and averaged 35mpg over the 2600 mile trip, my biggest concern is the dogs on the back seat, even if covered their claws will probably scuff the leather especially on the door cards, a roof rack wouldn’t bother me particularly BUT loading the kayaks on n off always has the chance of damage, they’re both 15ft long and weight about 25kg each. My biggest hate is door dinks from car parks, when going and parking at locks etc the car parks and approach roads are not the best, a lot of the time is grass verge parking too, I’ve either got to accept it’ll get damaged and tired OR let someone else enjoy her…… and get a car that I won’t be so finicky about

43 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

I’ve either got to accept it’ll get damaged and tired OR let someone else enjoy her……

I just don't get this. What could be more enjoyable than driving it every day?

Just drive it until it dies or just gets too tired. That way, you'll have had the enjoyment., not someone else.

• Like 1

So the whole point is you want to reduce the amount of cars on the driveway? Or just get rid of the money pits?

So options are what:

1. Sell the "knackered" estate, keep the ISF and use it as a daily. Get some kind of dog-proof cover for the rear seats etc. Not the ideal car for the job and may take on some extra wear and tear, but at least you know it will be dependable and you get to keep it and enjoy it.
  2. Sell the ISF and use the funds to get some kind of decent/newer estate. If you want something that feels quick like your F you might need to go German honestly, Audi S4 with quattro, BMW 540 etc. Reliability could be a worry especially out of warranty.
  3. Keep the ISF as a second car and swap the estate for something less knackered? Then reassess in 6 months or a year and if you're just not using the ISF enough could still sell it.
  4. Sell the ISF and get some older, but less knackered estate as a daily, and keep some money spare for a sports car of your choice (S2000, MX-5, Porsche etc), and probably have more fun than you did with the ISF, but without the practicality.
  • Like 2

1. Get rid of the rot boxes, get seat covers and let it be your F be 'everything', more excuse to clean it regularly as well, get decent pet hair removal tools (happy to recommend the ones I have, best things ever) and don't look back.

2. SORN it and keep it, when the time comes back around, still there to enjoy. Nothing is ever permanent in life (aside death and taxes), so your situation might change again and the F could be utilised once more and you'll thank yourself for not letting go.

3. Sell it, regret it, blame the wife, divorce her... depressive spiral 🤷‍♂️.

My 2 cent in different situation - I am SORN'ing my F for a little while as insurance and tax renewal due (£££), just bought a unit, got my wedding in one month and then honeymoon coming up, rebuilding my LS too. So with F off road, probs getting a V60 Polestar (2L twincharged) as the daily/ and dog mobile. Mrs keeps her NX for work and can be used (as it currently is) for moving the dog about if required as well. I cannot let go of my F, so I'll do my best to work around the situation.

Without sounding too stupid or like a therapist, it can be tough for non 'car people' to understand the attachment, but we all have them, just to different things, I'm sure your wife has things she'd find tough to let go of...

Oh and explore finance to maybe keep costs down if you want something new and keep the F, can make better use of money rather than getting it locked into a car.

• Like 1

A few of you have mentioned the volvo v line up. Are they actually any good? Drive a s90 recently as a courtesy car, didnt really like it…

1 hour ago, 4969_LXS said:

@Womble72 is there an option to trade in the knackered daily against another car on PCP ? What is the current knackered daily out of interest 👀 ?

It’s an insignia estate, spent over £2500 and been told it’s needs an engine, runs ok, uses a fair bit of oil, looks like it’s going into the inlet chamber, can’t trust it to Spain with the dogs in it, needs to be something I can trust

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

1. Get rid of the rot boxes, get seat covers and let it be your F be 'everything', more excuse to clean it regularly as well, get decent pet hair removal tools (happy to recommend the ones I have, best things ever) and don't look back.

2. SORN it and keep it, when the time comes back around, still there to enjoy. Nothing is ever permanent in life (aside death and taxes), so your situation might change again and the F could be utilised once more and you'll thank yourself for not letting go.

3. Sell it, regret it, blame the wife, divorce her... depressive spiral 🤷‍♂️.

My 2 cent in different situation - I am SORN'ing my F for a little while as insurance and tax renewal due (£££), just bought a unit, got my wedding in one month and then honeymoon coming up, rebuilding my LS too. So with F off road, probs getting a V60 Polestar (2L twincharged) as the daily/ and dog mobile. Mrs keeps her NX for work and can be used (as it currently is) for moving the dog about if required as well. I cannot let go of my F, so I'll do my best to work around the situation.

Without sounding too stupid or like a therapist, it can be tough for non 'car people' to understand the attachment, but we all have them, just to different things, I'm sure your wife has things she'd find tough to let go of...

Oh and explore finance to maybe keep costs down if you want something new and keep the F, can make better use of money rather than getting it locked into a car.

Can’t bring myself to finance cars, I’ve a fairly hefty mortgage now, lost the father in law last November, we had to buy both my brother in laws out of his Spanish property as the wife isn’t ready to let it go……. BUT I refused to extend our mortgage term so obviously the cost has gone up a fair bit.

1 hour ago, Rob RCF said:

So the whole point is you want to reduce the amount of cars on the driveway? Or just get rid of the money pits?

So options are what:

1. Sell the "knackered" estate, keep the ISF and use it as a daily. Get some kind of dog-proof cover for the rear seats etc. Not the ideal car for the job and may take on some extra wear and tear, but at least you know it will be dependable and you get to keep it and enjoy it.
  2. Sell the ISF and use the funds to get some kind of decent/newer estate. If you want something that feels quick like your F you might need to go German honestly, Audi S4 with quattro, BMW 540 etc. Reliability could be a worry especially out of warranty.
  3. Keep the ISF as a second car and swap the estate for something less knackered? Then reassess in 6 months or a year and if you're just not using the ISF enough could still sell it.
  4. Sell the ISF and get some older, but less knackered estate as a daily, and keep some money spare for a sports car of your choice (S2000, MX-5, Porsche etc), and probably have more fun than you did with the ISF, but without the practicality.

Rob,

I have contemplated the above, not sure if I sold I’d get a fast estate, did consider a C63…… thinking more like a RAV4 or NX300…… BUT now thinking about changing out the rear seat n door cards so the dogs can’t ruin it 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Womble72 said:

Rob,

I have contemplated the above, not sure if I sold I’d get a fast estate, did consider a C63…… thinking more like a RAV4 or NX300…… BUT now thinking about changing out the rear seat n door cards so the dogs can’t ruin it 🤔

W205 C63? If you like the IS-F, you'll love the 63!

Still think Volvo is the answer 😉

2 hours ago, Flytvr said:

W205 C63? If you like the IS-F, you'll love the 63!

Still think Volvo is the answer 😉

Probably the W204 Dav…..BUT theft is a major concern, up until recently-ish as u know I always had a Volvo alongside the F, think they’re beyond my reach financially….. don’t like spending what I don’t have.

9 hours ago, Cactus said:

A few of you have mentioned the volvo v line up.

I am hopefully test driving the 2L twincharged and 3L 6 cyl in next few weeks, so will find out. Only ever driven 2 Volvo's - XC90 for 15mins to help a friend swap his cars around and a V70 R, which was such a sleeper and really enjoyable to drive. I wanted something a bit more modern so the V60 Polestar seemed like a good answer. Not a German estate car fan, wanted something bit unique but still had some power for 'spirited driving'.

15 hours ago, Womble72 said:

do I get a roof rack for the ISF, allow 2 dogs in it regularly and use it as a whenever and wherever car?

simple really ......  yes

15 hours ago, Womble72 said:

I’m starting to get the two cars going nowhere though

local auction ....................

WHY on earth are you worrying anymore about all this ..  the simplest most cost effective and useful and instantaneous route is simply in yoiur hands right now

Malc

2 hours ago, Womble72 said:

Probably the W204 Dav…..BUT theft is a major concern, up until recently-ish as u know I always had a Volvo alongside the F, think they’re beyond my reach financially….. don’t like spending what I don’t have.

I get that. Personally, I wouldn't touch a W204 - head bolts and all that - plus they look dated now (in comparison to the IS-F). I always wanted one of those or an E9X M3. That's how I settled on the IS-F.

@hockeyedwards has a point with the V60 Polestar. I still have a run of the mill S60 and it drives really well and like the Polestar has active cruise (which is miles better than that found in the IS-F or later F cars).

I know one X IS-F owner that went to a BMW estate. What about a 335d or petrol?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

I get that. Personally, I wouldn't touch a W204 - head bolts and all that - plus they look dated now (in comparison to the IS-F). I always wanted one of those or an E9X M3. That's how I settled on the IS-F.

@hockeyedwards has a point with the V60 Polestar. I still have a run of the mill S60 and it drives really well and like the Polestar has active cruise (which is miles better than that found in the IS-F or later F cars).

I know one X IS-F owner that went to a BMW estate. What about a 335d or petrol?

Would have to be petrol, don’t think I’d go down the diesel route with where we live and the future of diesels, definitely something they want off the roads……. Lots to discuss with the other half when she home from working away

11 hours ago, Womble72 said:

Can’t bring myself to finance cars, I’ve a fairly hefty mortgage now, lost the father in law last November, we had to buy both my brother in laws out of his Spanish property as the wife isn’t ready to let it go……. BUT I refused to extend our mortgage term so obviously the cost has gone up a fair bit.

If your costs have increased and it's becoming a strain financially then maybe it's time to let the F go. My only thought is that F cars aren't all that expensive to run.

Not to get into the personal stuff too much, but if your wife decided to take on a bigger mortgage then she can't expect you to have to give up stuff on her behalf. But that's for you and her to sort out and just good communication and normal relationship stuff and finding a balance that works for you both.

If she's happy for you to keep the car and use it as a daily then there's your answer imo. You just have to decide whether you can deal with your ISF becoming a well used daily and a dog-mobile. If you can't deal with that then sell. Can always come back to the F brand in the future...

• Like 1

We recently decided to go for one more buy to let and similar story as you described Rob.

We have to put 30% deposit soon there and I said to my wife: I am happy to go forward with this mortgage but remember if things go really wrong then my RCF is at the very end of things to sell 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

Damian can now be found on Match, Plenty Of Fish and alike 😉  Brave man!

Restarting second time round is hard enough (not my doing)….. definitely not doing that again 😳…… I’d sooner live my days out at HMP services 😉

• Haha 1

HMP…..not the end of the world…

No food bills

No energy Bills

No Poll Tax

But no entitlement to Vote in Elections 🙄

• Haha 1

You could buy a shed estate car (unless you have one already) for the dogs, domestic stuff and canoes etc. and keep the ISF for other driving.  I don't think try to use the ISF for these things will work, or feel great to do.

Tough choice, but they do come along like this sometimes...

• Like 1