Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

underbody work advice required

Hi

As you can see from the photographs, I'm experiencing a middle ages crises and I am attempting to cling to my youth by performing some DIY on my rather old Lexus RX300. I have been refurbishing the alloys , and now I'd like to concentrate on the rusted underbody. Can somebody tell where to position the jack and what kind of jack I'll need ect...?

I bought a £44 jack last week from Halfords but had to return it to the store since it couldn't lift the car.( the arm only went up 31cm and the wheel was still touching the ground).

thanks

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1046.PNG

1 hour ago, Lexus300rx said:

Can somebody tell where to position the jack and what kind of jack I'll need ect...?

You could try Machine Mart.

Also I am sure you know, but never work under a car on a jack, axle stands are a must.

• Like 2

I would tend to avoid cheap/aluminium jacks and only use a reputable one in positions Lexus indicate for your car.  Must admit I probably went a bit OTT and bought a "Compac 3T" with low chassis to get under my BMW but this also serves for my RX.

Even though the Compac is a great albeit expensive jack, I always use axle stands or some dense concrete blocks to gain extra height.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, Barry14UK said:

I would tend to avoid cheap/aluminium jacks and only use a reputable one in positions Lexus indicate for your car.  Must admit I probably went a bit OTT and bought a "Compac 3T" with low chassis to get under my BMW but this also serves for my RX.

Even though the Compac is a great albeit expensive jack, I always use axle stands or some dense concrete blocks to gain extra height.

thank you for great advice ...