Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus GS450h leak

Ragzv6

Hi guys, so after doing my usual level checks and top ups I noticed some oil of some sort sitting in a groove on a metal part. I have attached some photos for reference. Hopefully you guys can see the oil to the left of the question mark, just behind the belt in the metal groove. I assume it's dripping from above. If anyone knows which parts are in this area that would be great. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

20220424_101017.jpg

20220424_101005.jpg

20220424_101022.jpg

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Hard to say but does not look too serious, does it leave a puddle on the drive?

Possibly the rocker cover gasket, that's quite a common cause of oil leaks.

It doesn't yet but I'm sure if left unattended it probably will. 

Is this a easy fix, so can I tackle this myself?

The rocker ain't the same as the valve gasket right?

Do you get the car serviced by the main dealer?  If so, the Relax warranty should be able to sort out any oil leaks.

If not, then it might not be the most straightforward job as I believe the inlet manifold needs to be removed to access the heads.  Having said that, it depends on how handy you are with the spanners I suppose.

2 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Do you get the car serviced by the main dealer?  If so, the Relax warranty should be able to sort out any oil leaks.

If not, then it might not be the most straightforward job as I believe the inlet manifold needs to be removed to access the heads.  Having said that, it depends on how handy you are with the spanners I suppose.

I usually service the car myself so I'm quite handy. If it only involves removing a couple parts then that's OK but removing half a engine would be too technical.

It's due a service soon so I will remove what I can and have a proper look.

Judging by the videos I've watched for the valve gasket It doesn't look easy thats for sure

• Like 1

Blind guess - check around the ends of the oil supply pipes (two for each head, from the oil pump area). If so - they also have inline metal mesh filters there, replace along with the crush washers 🙂

On 4/28/2022 at 1:19 AM, Lwerewolf said:

Blind guess - check around the ends of the oil supply pipes (two for each head, from the oil pump area). If so - they also have inline metal mesh filters there, replace along with the crush washers 🙂

Thanks for that I will certainly have a look. Hopefully ain't nothing too serious which I can just resolve myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, so just a quick update, a couple weeks later the leak has got worse. It looks to be coolant, it has sprayed onto multiple parts and leaving a pink and white rustic look on the metal. I have attached some pictures. Does anyone know which pipes or parts uses coolant in this section.

Many thanks 

18 hours ago, Ragzv6 said:

Sorry The server is buggin out

762310B9-CC98-46A0-AB25-5D7CF2AE7519.jpeg

4ABBB1C7-4A8C-4024-B59A-D3F9AD62D714.jpeg

86B82ABC-E2C1-4AF5-A2A8-FBFB8CF9ACCD.jpeg

So i have had time to have a good look and I'm pretty sure it's coming from somewhere behind the water pump pulley, so I suspect it needs a new water pump?? If anyone could confirm before I embark on dismantling that would be great

46 minutes ago, Ragzv6 said:

So i have had time to have a good look and I'm pretty sure it's coming from somewhere behind the water pump pulley, so I suspect it needs a new water pump??

Can't really see from your pictures but seems highly likely that is the problem, obviously there will be a bearing and seal where the spindle enters the body of the water pump.  You could just keep an eye on it for a while, as long as the coolant is topped up it's unlikely to fail catastrophically.

I was just going to suggest the water pump as the pipes don't look like they are leaking.  Either that or the thermostat housing.

Either way, the only thing you can do at this point I think is dismantle it and have a look.

43 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Can't really see from your pictures but seems highly likely that is the problem, obviously there will be a bearing and seal where the spindle enters the body of the water pump.  You could just keep an eye on it for a while, as long as the coolant is topped up it's unlikely to fail catastrophically.

I won't take any chances when I'm next free I will have a go at replacing it. The last thing I want is the engine overheating. And coolant crust all over the engine. 

46 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I was just going to suggest the water pump as the pipes don't look like they are leaking.  Either that or the thermostat housing.

Either way, the only thing you can do at this point I think is dismantle it and have a look.

Pipes seem fine at the front, will need to confirm the back section upon further inspection. Where abouts is the thermostat? 

8 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Well, according to this diagram it is here:

1.thumb.jpg.48d59ecdb7fa82c7780ce0a5472e7b21.jpg

However, I do still think that the water pump is your best bet.

Thanks for that buddy.

I will hopefully tackle the water pump this week. 

any tips and tools i will need or could expect on this job?

I've already watched some videos but they were on the IS350, it looks to be the same, but could be different....

To be honest, I have no idea on what to expect for the job.

I can't find anything online that matches the specific car.  The best I could do is a 2007 GS350.  Similar engines so might be useful. 

The alternative is to pay for access to https://www.lexus-tech.eu/Menu/Repair

Official repair manuals on there which you can pay for limited time access at a reasonable cost.  That should give you what you need to do the job.

21 hours ago, Ragzv6 said:

I will hopefully tackle the water pump this week. 

I'd suggest changing the thermostat too if that's accessible, plus of course the serpentine belt and any associated tensioners / idlers.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:11 PM, Shahpor said:

To be honest, I have no idea on what to expect for the job.

I can't find anything online that matches the specific car.  The best I could do is a 2007 GS350.  Similar engines so might be useful. 

The alternative is to pay for access to https://www.lexus-tech.eu/Menu/Repair

Official repair manuals on there which you can pay for limited time access at a reasonable cost.  That should give you what you need to do the job.

That's perfect, exactly what I was looking for. I will be looking to purchase that manual for sure.

I think our vehicle is difference as for 1 the belt is smaller and as far as I can see there is another piece in front of the idler pulley if you look in the picture attached.

i need to know what the part with the question mark on connected to the round metal cylinder on the right is?

20220424_101017.jpg

On 5/16/2022 at 7:29 PM, Spock66 said:

I'd suggest changing the thermostat too if that's accessible, plus of course the serpentine belt and any associated tensioners / idlers.

I will be changing the belt aswell. Everything else isnt too difficult to reach without too much interference so should be ok.

So just an update, i managed to successfully replace the water pump along with a new belt and coolant, doesn't seem to be any leak but now the heater doesn't work i suspect its probably the thermostat. i was considering replacing the thermostat and regret that i didn't, but Lexus couldn't get it until the next day and i wanted to get started on the job asap as the job took me a whole 9 hours to complete.

Either that or it has something to do with that cylinder as i unscrewed the bolt and it started spraying out liquid kind of steaming, possibly something to do with the AC? can anyone confirm what this cylinder type part is??

The cylinder thing is part of the air con system I think. The thermostat by the water pump shouldn't affect the car heater, unless it were open all the time and the car didn't warm up (very unlikely.)

The heater isn't working due to either/and;

A vapour/air lock in the heater as the water has been drained from it, there should be advice somewhere in the forums as to how to fix this.

The air con system being drained of air on fluid,it may need recharging, but this shouldn't stop the heater I imagine.

1 hour ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

A vapour/air lock in the heater as the water has been drained from it, there should be advice somewhere in the forums as to how to fix this.

Running at idle with the heater set to max may help with an air lock.