Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus GS450h leak

Ragzv6

Im pretty sure the thermostat still needs replacing because thinking back a couple weeks before i changed the water pump i noticed that when the heater was set to 24c it was coming out cold but i thought this was due to the water pump. 

The air lock could possibly be contributing to this also.

As when i tried to do the burping process with both topped up to full and engine running, both res and inlet caps open, i found after holding the revs, coolant was rising in the res tank, overflowing and spilling. 

I have ordered a replacement thermostat and intend on replacing that this week.

1 hour ago, Ragzv6 said:

Im pretty sure the thermostat still needs replacing because thinking back a couple weeks before i changed the water pump i noticed that when the heater was set to 24c it was coming out cold but i thought this was due to the water pump. 

The air lock could possibly be contributing to this also.

As when i tried to do the burping process with both topped up to full and engine running, both res and inlet caps open, i found after holding the revs, coolant was rising in the res tank, overflowing and spilling. 

I have ordered a replacement thermostat and intend on replacing that this week.

If the car has been sitting in the sun, the internal heat sensor may have been over-heated by the sun so thinks the internal temp is
over 24'. I get this quite often till I've been driving 5 minutes or so and the air has had a chance to circulate and cool the sensor down.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, Steven Lockey said:

If the car has been sitting in the sun, the internal heat sensor may have been over-heated by the sun so thinks the internal temp is
over 24'. I get this quite often till I've been driving 5 minutes or so and the air has had a chance to circulate and cool the sensor down.

I have had this car through 3 summers and have never had any issues so it's just a bit strange. I think I will change the thermostat anyway and give the burping another try and see what happens. Does anyone know if there is a valve or ***** plug, if so the location?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update you guys with the progress, I finally resolved the issue and the car is running back to normal, no water pump leaks, no rough idling from all the coolant crust on the belt and pulleys and heater comes on hot only after 4 mins and at 24c.

I changed the thermostat along which resolved the issue, pretty easy job, got it done within 45mins.

Thanks for all your help and advice and hopefully this will be of benefit to someone else.

Many thanks

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links