Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wireless Android Auto.

Hello. My last car had wireless android auto, and I was really hoping the NX would have it. I think it is strange it does not, does anyone know why it does not have wireless Auto? 

Yesterday I managed to get my hands on a Motorola MA1 adaptor which when plugged into the cars USB socket, claims to transform the car into wireless android auto. Unfortunlaley I had a mixed experience with it. Yes it did do as claimed, however, to work you have to have your phone connected to the vehicle with Bluetooth only, not Android Auto. The adaptor then activates Android Auto wirelessly, Where it goes wrong, is when you shut the car down and start up again. The car still try's to connect to the phone using Android Auto, this it cant do as it needs to start off in Bluetooth mode. You then have to go into the phone settings in the car and change it back to Bluetooth, the adaptor will then connect the android auto wirelessly. Too much of a faff so may as well just connect with a short cable. 

Has anyone tried any other Android auto wireless adaptors in the NX and managed to get it working well? 

Many thanks 

Kenny 

2 hours ago, Kenny Barclay said:

Hello. My last car had wireless android auto, and I was really hoping the NX would have it. I think it is strange it does not, does anyone know why it does not have wireless Auto? 

Yesterday I managed to get my hands on a Motorola MA1 adaptor which when plugged into the cars USB socket, claims to transform the car into wireless android auto. Unfortunlaley I had a mixed experience with it. Yes it did do as claimed, however, to work you have to have your phone connected to the vehicle with bluetooth only, not Android Auto. The adaptor then activates Android Auto wirelessly, Where it goes wrong, is when you shut the car down and start up again. The car still try's to connect to the phone using Android Auto, this it cant do as it needs to start off in bluetooth mode. You then have to go into the phone settings in the car and change it back to bluetooth, the adaptor will then connect the android auto wirelessly. Too much of a faff so may as well just connect with a short cable. 

Has anyone tried any other Android auto wireless adaptors in the NX and managed to get it working well? 

Hi Kenny, I have had total success with the AAWireless dongle https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/ - it connects to my Google Pixel 6 Pro really quickly every time (within 10 seconds) - no faff whatsoever. I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S10 though and connections were hit and miss with that - something to do with the way Samsung allows apps to activate Bluetooth or something. So success may depend on your phone.

1 hour ago, Steve Oliver said:

Hi Kenny, I have had total success with the AAWireless dongle https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/ - it connects to my Google Pixel 6 Pro really quickly every time (within 10 seconds) - no faff whatsoever. I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S10 though and connections were hit and miss with that - something to do with the way Samsung allows apps to activate Bluetooth or something. So success may depend on your phone.

many thanks Steve, will look into that. I am assuming that was with the pre-facelifted NX model? 

3 hours ago, Kenny Barclay said:

many thanks Steve, will look into that. I am assuming that was with the pre-facelifted NX model? 

If it's any help I have been told by the dealer that wireless android will be updated over the air towards the end of this year. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kenny Barclay said:

I agree with @Steve Oliver  - I have been using the AAWireless device for a couple of years now (I was one of the early adopters) and it has been pretty much flawless . I've used it in my previous 2018 NX300h and now in my 2022 NX350h via a Samsung s10+. The only issue I have had with it is that it drops it's connection to the headunit at the exact same spot on my commute every time (must be due to some outside wireless interference at that location) but then reconnects a few seconds later so it's not a showstopper.

It's proven so popular however that there are currently long waiting times for an order so not sure if you would be able to get one before Lexus potentially upgrade the infotainment system to support wireless AA itself.

Again, as Steve says, success may depend on the model of your phone so do some research first before ordering. Also be aware that anything on Indiegogo is basically a crowdfunding enterprise. Check out the Comments section of the Indiegogo site that Steve referenced, plus there is a Reddit forum for it - https://www.reddit.com/r/AAWireless/ 

• Like 1

Hello Andy, thanks for the comprehensive reply, much appreciated. I have placed an order for an AA wireless device, which I understand might be a while till it arrives, but at least I have one on order! 

It's a Samsung S21 Ultra and the car is 2022 NX450h, so sounds like it should work fine if you had no issues. 

Thanks again  Kenny 

Hi Andy, sorry to be a pain, looking for a bit of help with getting AA wireless set up on my NX 450h. Every time I try to connect I get the following error message. Internal clock error, screen shot attached, I have tried disable the auto clock updates on both phone and car and still no joy. Get the same message ever min or so when it keeps trying to connect. Any suggestions. Thanks Kenny 20220503_124408.thumb.jpg.5a0d7ead32720788139d1ccba4db0ff3.jpg

5 hours ago, Kenny Barclay said:

Hi Andy, sorry to be a pain, looking for a bit of help with getting AA wireless set up on my NX 450h. Every time I try to connect I get the following error message. Internal clock error, screen shot attached, I have tried disable the auto clock updates on both phone and car and still no joy. Get the same message ever min or so when it keeps trying to connect. Any suggestions. Thanks Kenny 20220503_124408.thumb.jpg.5a0d7ead32720788139d1ccba4db0ff3.jpg

Hi Kenny.

I haven't seen this before I'm afraid.

Just to rule one thing out - do you get this same error when you connect your phone directly to the car with the cable (i.e. taking the AAWireless dongle out of the equation)?

Hi Andy thanks for getting back to me, no it works fine when direct cable

It's a strange one, I've sent a support question to the makers so hopefully they can shed light on it. 

Thanks again 

Kenny 

Hi Andy, sorted now. The guys at AA are great, just had to enable pass through and it works fine now 

Thanks again 

Kenny 

On 4/26/2022 at 5:45 PM, Kenny Barclay said:

It was! (Sorry for the delay)

• 8 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I've just got my 2nd NX (2023 450H F Sport) and have already wasted hours trying to connect my 9 month old Samsung S21 to Android Auto wirelessly. When I try, following the laid down procedure, it seems to make "all the right noises" as it were, but won't make the connection except via usb cable.

I found this thread whilst researching solutions, and just wondered, has anybody  managed to do it wirelessly, ever?

If not I'll relax. LOL

Unfortunately the new NX does not currently support wireless Android Auto - at least not in the UK (possibly due to a licensing issue). It may be enabled in the future via an OTA software upgrade but there's been nothing from Lexus UK to suggest that's on the horizon.  

Myself and others on here have managed to get a flavour of wireless AA by purchasing the AAWireless dongle (as mentioned in this thread and in other threads on this forum).

3 hours ago, Peter Brown said:

Hi all, I've just got my 2nd NX (2023 450H F Sport) and have already wasted hours trying to connect my 9 month old Samsung S21 to Android Auto wirelessly. When I try, following the laid down procedure, it seems to make "all the right noises" as it were, but won't make the connection except via usb cable.

I found this thread whilst researching solutions, and just wondered, has anybody  managed to do it wirelessly, ever?

If not I'll relax. LOL

Relax Peter. P132 of the multimedia manual states that Android Auto can be connected using a USB cable. Unfortunately, it doesn't explicitly state that wireless isn't possible yet so a cable has to be used. Early in this thread it mentions that Lexus were hoping to resolve the issue by the end of the year (2022), sadly we are still waiting. Note also that not all cables and ports are equal; you will need to use a data cable in the USB A port. The USB C port is for charging only (why Lexus?) and some after market cables are only for charging a phone and will not carry data (see pages 134 and 135 of the multimedia manual).

• 8 months later...
On 4/26/2022 at 6:40 AM, Guest said:

Yesterday I managed to get my hands on a Motorola MA1 adaptor which when plugged into the cars USB socket, claims to transform the car into wireless android auto. Unfortunlaley I had a mixed experience with it. Yes it did do as claimed, however, to work you have to have your phone connected to the vehicle with Bluetooth only, not Android Auto. The adaptor then activates Android Auto wirelessly, Where it goes wrong, is when you shut the car down and start up again. The car still try's to connect to the phone using Android Auto, this it cant do as it needs to start off in Bluetooth mode. You then have to go into the phone settings in the car and change it back to Bluetooth, the adaptor will then connect the android auto wirelessly. Too much of a faff so may as well just connect with a short cable. 

Many thanks 

Kenny 

Hello Kenny, I have the exact same problem with my Lexus 250h 2022. I also have the Motorola M1 dongle and it is a hassle to connec it. Did you find any solution?

On 2/5/2023 at 2:28 PM, Andy B said:

Unfortunately the new NX does not currently support wireless Android Auto - at least not in the UK (possibly due to a licensing issue). It may be enabled in the future via an OTA software upgrade but there's been nothing from Lexus UK to suggest that's on the horizon.  

Myself and others on here have managed to get a flavour of wireless AA by purchasing the AAWireless dongle (as mentioned in this thread and in other threads on this forum).

According to my dealer upon delivery of my NX he stated "expect wireless AA as OTA in Q1 2024" so in 2024 ( fingers crossed)

On 10/21/2023 at 2:21 AM, Sergio Gonzalez said:

Hello Kenny, I have the exact same problem with my Lexus 250h 2022. I also have the Motorola M1 dongle and it is a hassle to connec it. Did you find any solution?

Buy a dongle from AAWireless.

It works..read this and a number of other related threads for proof/recommendations.Do NOT buy from Carlinkit..it doesn't work and their customer service is abysmal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Swedish Guy said:

According to my dealer upon delivery of my NX he stated "expect wireless AA as OTA in Q1 2024" so in 2024 ( fingers crossed)

I hope your dealer is correct Magnus. When I got my car in September 22,  I was told to expect wireless android by the end of the year (2022)!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

I hope your dealer is correct Magnus. When I got my car in September 22,  I was told to expect wireless android by the end of the year (2022)!

Q1 2023 for me.  I'm beginning to wonder if OTA stands for something else?!

• 1 month later...

Hello all, read through this thread and understand that the AA dongle on Indigogo works, unfortunately I bought the Motorola MA1 - which works ok when you set it up (i say OK as the one time I got it to work it lost connection about 2 hours into the drive) - anyone get the MA1 to work?

• 4 months later...
On 12/11/2023 at 7:01 AM, Riccardo said:

Hello all, read through this thread and understand that the AA dongle on Indigogo works, unfortunately I bought the Motorola MA1 - which works ok when you set it up (i say OK as the one time I got it to work it lost connection about 2 hours into the drive) - anyone get the MA1 to work?

I picked up a 24 nx350h today, and no wireless Android Auto. I already had the MA1 adapter but have had no luck connecting in the NX. It works flawlessly in my wife's Outlander. The Dealer told me it's coming in an OTA update soon. But seems we've been hearing that for years. I won't hold my breath - and I suppose I'll grab the AA Wireless adapter since others here have had some success with it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links