Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

TYRES advice

AndrewLast

Want to change my tyres and dont know what brand to choose... 

on my car i have Dunlop 235/45R18 98Y but not that happy with them,a bit to noise i think and they wear kind of quickly.

Thinking about Continental or Hankook. Anyone any ideas?
Seen some Hankook XL (reinforced) and Continental summer but the difference is  the no and the letter at the end "V" instead of "Y" (as Dunlop) 94V instead of 98Y

Would that make any difference? Can i go for 94V or should i stick to the 98Y.

Thanks. 

Please see the following: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35 and https://tirepressure.org/general-metric-tire-load-inflation-chart?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

The 98 is your load index and I would not lower that. In order for a 94 tyre to carry the same load as a 98 tyre (assuming both are standard load SL tyres and not XL) you'd have to increase your tyre pressure by about 4 PSI. If the 94 were an XL and the original 98 were an SL then the pressure increase would need to be about 8 PSI higher. That much higher and you can expect a pretty harsh ride.

On the flipside, if your Dunlops fitted are XL and the new ones are SL, then you can go down to 94 without a pressure difference. I know counterintuitive, the above links/charts should help explain.

The final letter after the 98 is your tyre's speed rating. See: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/tyres/tyre-speed-rating/

One last thing, were those tyres the ones that came on the car new? According to the 2015 online manual for the IS300h, you should have a staggered setup front/rear for the 18" wheels. See page 587 here: https://myportalcontent.lexus-europe.com/Manuals/lexus/IS300h_OM_EE_OM53D56E.pdf

You OEM sizes are: 225/40R18 88Y, 255/35R18 90Y on 18 × 8J, 18 × 8 1/2J wheels accoridng to that.

Unless you just forgot to update your signature? Because those are ES300h tyre sizes that you're quoting above and the same Dunlops that came on mine new. I swapped them at PDI for Michelin Cross Climates. They suit my driving syle and the car very well.

I went with Falken Azenis FK 520 only a week ago. Shifted the Dunlops to the rear. Had the Azenis FK 510 on RX before and they were very good. I hope that FK 520, being a new tyre, will be at least as good. It is a brand new tyre so no reviews available, but at least is very attractively priced - I paid only 120 euros each.

On the Hankooks the new Ventus Prime 4 performs very well - at least in the tyre reviews that are available online. I had Hankook Kinergy at some stage on a Honda and found them to be noisy as they were wearing down. 

To keep it simple, the ES300h tyre size is 235/45 R18 94W from factory

You can go up on the load rating e.g. to 98 if required but that may negatively affect ride quality

You can go up or down on Speed rating e.g. from W to V provided you won't be exceeding that speed

There are so many options available. Uniroyal Rainsport 5 has a slightly softer sidewall for better ride comfort. Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 or 5 is also available in that size and thats the one Id go for. Ive had it on almost every saloon ive owned including a supercharged Jag and its brilliant in all conditions. Its also very quiet

4 hours ago, peniole said:

Please see the following: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35 and https://tirepressure.org/general-metric-tire-load-inflation-chart?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

The 98 is your load index and I would not lower that. In order for a 94 tyre to carry the same load as a 98 tyre (assuming both are standard load SL tyres and not XL) you'd have to increase your tyre pressure by about 4 PSI. If the 94 were an XL and the original 98 were an SL then the pressure increase would need to be about 8 PSI higher. That much higher and you can expect a pretty harsh ride.

On the flipside, if your Dunlops fitted are XL and the new ones are SL, then you can go down to 94 without a pressure difference. I know counterintuitive, the above links/charts should help explain.

The final letter after the 98 is your tyre's speed rating. See: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/tyres/tyre-speed-rating/

One last thing, were those tyres the ones that came on the car new? According to the 2015 online manual for the IS300h, you should have a staggered setup front/rear for the 18" wheels. See page 587 here: https://myportalcontent.lexus-europe.com/Manuals/lexus/IS300h_OM_EE_OM53D56E.pdf

You OEM sizes are: 225/40R18 88Y, 255/35R18 90Y on 18 × 8J, 18 × 8 1/2J wheels accoridng to that.

Unless you just forgot to update your signature? Because those are ES300h tyre sizes that you're quoting above and the same Dunlops that came on mine new. I swapped them at PDI for Michelin Cross Climates. They suit my driving syle and the car very well.

My car is 2020 ES300H not IS 300h 😊

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 or 5 is also available in that size and thats the one Id go for. Ive had it on almost every saloon ive owned including a supercharged Jag and its brilliant in all conditions. Its also very quiet

There’s really an embarrassment of riches in terms of tyre choice these days.  When I was looking for a new set, the Goodyear Asymmetric 5s had recently been introduced and were the subject of numerous favourable road tests.

They also had the benefit of being available in the two different sizes that my 18” wheels required.  They have proved to be an excellent choice in terms of noise and ride comfort - and for my particular concern…wet road handling.

They suit my driving style, which I would describe these days as merely ‘brisk’ - so not in any way really demanding, if I can help it!

Certainly worth adding to the list of possibles.

In addition to what has been said I would also consider Debica Presto UHP2. They are produced in the same factory as Goodyear, and it is a good compromise for quality and price if you don't want to spend for premium tyres. 

42 minutes ago, LenT said:

There’s really an embarrassment of riches in terms of tyre choice these days.  When I was looking for a new set, the Goodyear Asymmetric 5s had recently been introduced and were the subject of numerous favourable road tests.

They also had the benefit of being available in the two different sizes that my 18” wheels required.  They have proved to be an excellent choice in terms of noise and ride comfort - and for my particular concern…wet road handling.

They suit my driving style, which I would describe these days as merely ‘brisk’ - so not in any way really demanding, if I can help it!

Certainly worth adding to the list of possibles.

Do you know if the A,B,C,D,E (fuel efficiency) and A,B,C,D,E (braking distance) really matters when you look for tyres? 

20 minutes ago, AndrewLast said:

Do you know if the A,B,C,D,E (fuel efficiency) and A,B,C,D,E (braking distance) really matters when you look for tyres? 

I think the braking distance is over 10m between A to E but not sure on the fuel efficiency.

I doubt the fuel efficiency figures are of any use as its too variable. I wouldnt go any less than a C on braking distance. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AndrewLast said:

It does to me, Andrew.

Braking distance - under various road conditions….absolutely.

Fuel efficiency - not so much.  Same with mileage - not that crucial.  In fact I rate noise and comfort levels much higher.  They just reflect my personal priorities.

And how do I choose?  Well, previous brand experience is a factor.  Chatting to tyre suppliers is informative, but you have to bear in mind that they have particular brands they’re trying to sell.

And, ultimately, reading the pages of tyre reviews that are available in magazines and online.  But again remembering that the tester’s priorities may not mirror my own.

Oh, and of course reading the comments by fellow LOC members!

Frankly, I don’t know how else to do it. Fortunately it’s not something I have to do very often.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Any views on what tyre make is best for reducing the tyre/road noise on the ES300H. I cannot stand the road noise in the cabin from the standard tyres Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 fitted by Lexus which are the 235/45/18's They are truly awful on motorways. This is a new car so somewhat disappointed with it.  Been looking at new Hankook Ventus ION s IK01 sound absorber xl. Fits EV's but Hankook tell me can also be fitted to the ES300H. They claim it should reduce the noise considerable. Other choice would be Michelins.

I went with Bridgestone Turanza 006, just been launched this year, and so far I'm happy with them compared with the Bridgestone Potenza which were factory fitted. Not a huge improvement, but slightly better.

Potenza had rading B (grip) and D (fuel consumption) with 72bd and Turanza has A (grip) and B (fuel consumption) with 70bd, the only thing is the when I bought them I couldn't find these anywhere else so ended up paying for fitting separately, and the rim protection is smaller (similar to Michelin PS4).

This is where I bought them:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/bridgestone/turanza-t006/235-40-r19-96y-1524455

If you have any other websites where these are available, please share the link.

Just found them at Costco with a good promotion and fitting included:

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Tyres-Accessories/Tyres/Bridgestone-23540-R19-Y-96-TUR6-TURANZA-XL/tire/p/622392

Check the size before, I have the Sport model and the rims are slightly different.

• Like 1

I'm happy with the Michelin crossclimates for noise levels. 19k later and they're still good at about 5-5.5mm and mostly quiet unless the surface is bad. I do rotate them though every service. I made the mistake of listening to the service advisor and not rotating on my previous car, also FWD with the crossclimates, and they ended up causing a humming noise from uneven wear. Not uncommon for all seasons on a FWD car apparently. If they tell you that you can't roate without unmounting and restting the TPMS, call BS. The system detects each corner and adjusts automatically.

• Like 1

Hi

Ive just replaced a full set to ridgestone Turanza 006 after 30,000 in 14 months from new on my FSport, and then only due to 3 punctures in 3 weeks.

The rim protectors are a lot smaller than the supplied Dunlops, and it has already caused a couple of scuffs, where the dunlops were very forgiving.

But the ride, noise and grip levels are excellent, and worth the trade off.

I would reccomend.

• Like 1

Replaced OEM Pirelli P7 with Continental UltraContact a month or so ago.

Half noise inside the not very well noise insulated micro-Lexus and a lot of better handling. Handling in the CT is actually very very good, if it had a power plant to match the suspension the name part "Sport" would make sense.

Asked Lexus for the Continental tyres, and they recommended what they had in stock. Price for what they had in stock was almost 100€ more expensive than local tyre company wanted for the tyres I want and when telling Lexus that the tyres I want are the UltraContact they offered these more than 200€ more expensive. They only want to sell what they make the most profit on.

For normal cars driven on normal roads (not always perfect tarmac), there are no reasons to put-on so-called sport tyres. No matter if Lexus call our cars Luxury - Sport - etc. they do not make cars for track days. Real sport tyres come with so many not needed negatives: noise, not lasting very long and more noise. Have been in car business many years and have been selling tyres.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links