Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is300h newcomer questions.

Hi guys

i have just reserved a lovely is300h 63 plate luxury model from a Lexus dealer. can’t wait to get it when ready. I have a couple of questions if you can help.

- firstly is there anything I should be looking for or checking while Lexus still have it?

- Has anyone heard of any issues with cat removal from Thieves?
- what is gracenote?  
- do you use a Faraday or RFID pouch to block the signal from your keys?

thanks so much. 

Hi

Seems that Toyota Hybrids in general are popular with thieves . I have heard that the catalyst contains extra expensive metals to reduce emissions. My dealer offered to stick labels on the cat with identifying signatures. They claim to be heat resistant. Also supplied warning stickers for the exterior of the car. No charge for this. Hopefully will have some deterrent effect. Won’t stop the determined thief. You can buy a Cat guard for some cars. May be worth considering if the car is left in a vulnerable position particularly at night.

Hope you enjoy the new car. I love mine; a different style of motoring. Light foot on the accelerator, waft along and enjoy the journey. Gives a smug feeling as the Beemers and Mercs blast away with accompanying blood pressure.

Congratulations great choice.

I have read that the Cat on an IS300h is quite awkward to get to, so that maybe a deterrent o its own.

Gracenote is to do with music recognition I believe, track names, albums etc & how it is read.

Never used a Faraday case, I believe you can turn the auto unlocking off though if you wish. 

• Like 1

Main cats on the IS300h are high up in the engine bay so hard to get to although secondary cat I believe is still accessible but maybe because the IS300h is relatively rare I haven't heard of any thefts yet. 

Gracenote displays album info on the main screen when playing music but goes out of date as new albums are released - it's updated with the Sat Nav (if you ever do that). It's not that good though and the album covers often aren't the ones that you would have got with the CD for example (at least in the UK). 

I use a Faraday pouch to store the keys when not in use - only a few pounds from Amazon/eBay etc. - do test it though when you get it just to be sure (put keys in and hold by the door handle and make sure you can't unlock using the handle sensors). I keep the second key in a tin (with other spare keys) which does the same job. As above the smart entry can also be disabled (but I like it so go with the Faraday pouch). 

The car should come with 12 months warranty and so go out and drive it and make sure if anything comes to light in that first year get it fixed by Lexus.

A few things that I've learnt from experience and this forum:

Biggest issue is not driving the car as many who leave it stood for extended periods (maybe a couple of weeks) find the 12V Battery goes flat. If you have any issues with that get the 12V Battery changed as a first step (don't mess around trying to fix/charge etc as by then probably too late and you'll just be chasing your tail - make sure you get the correct Lexus AGM one and get Lexus to change it as there a couple of reports of issues with the audio head unit being damaged by people changing their own battery) - then drive regularly (at least once a week a decent distance or a few times a week shorter distances) and you won't have an issue. I use my car regularly - it's a 2014 reg with 118k miles (bought it when it was 2 years old at 40K miles) and it's still on original 12V Battery

If you have to leave it for extended periods without driving look into a trickle charger (lots of info in this forum). As a back up get one of the glovebox Li Ion starter packs and that will get you going no problem should the 12V be flat as the 12V Battery only boots the car's computers as there is no traditional starter motor - that is all done through the traction Battery and the electric motors. However once the Battery had been flattened a couple of times it's probably damaged and not going to be reliable.

When not moving the engine will kick in and charge the traction Battery every so often as needed - but never leave the car gear shift in N for any length of time as the traction Battery is NOT charged when in N - always keep it is D (or S) with foot on brake or P when stood still with the engine on. And if say listening to eg the radio keep the car on (it will mostly sit with the engine off and the electrics being run by the traction battery) otherwise with the smaller 12V Battery it's easy to discharge that especially if it's already weak. 

Also NEVER jump start someone else's car from your car as a normal car with a starter motor will draw too much from your car and could cause damage.

Oh yes - and read the manuals - there are differences in driving a hybrid and lots of tech to get acquainted with... 

Overall though a very reliable car and fingers crossed you'll have no major issues. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Main cats on the IS300h are high up in the engine bay so hard to get to although secondary cat I believe is still accessible but maybe because the IS300h is relatively rare I haven't heard of any thefts yet. 

Gracenote displays album info on the main screen when playing music but goes out of date as new albums are released - it's updated with the Sat Nav (if you ever do that). It's not that good though and the album covers often aren't the ones that you would have got with the CD for example (at least in the UK). 

I use a Faraday pouch to store the keys when not in use - only a few pounds from Amazon/eBay etc. - do test it though when you get it just to be sure (put keys in and hold by the door handle and make sure you can't unlock using the handle sensors. I keep the second key in a tin (with other spare keys) which does the same job. As above the smart entry can also be disabled (but I like it so go with the Faraday pouch). 

The car should come with 12 months warranty and so go out and drive it and make sure if anything comes to light in that first year get it fixed by Lexus.

Biggest issue is not driving the car as many who leave it stood for extended periods (maybe a couple of weeks) find the 12V battery goes flat. If you have any issues with that get the 12V battery changed as a first step (don't mess around trying to fix/charge etc as by then probably too late and you'll just be chasing your tail - make sure you get the correct Lexus AGM one and get Lexus to change it as there a couple of reports of issues with the audio head unit being damaged by people changing their own battery) - then drive regularly (at least once a week a decent distance or a few times a week shorter distances) and you won't have an issue. I use my car regularly - it's a 2014 reg with 118k miles (bought it when it was 2 years old at 40K miles) and it's still on original 12V battery. 

If you have to leave it for extended periods without driving look into a trickle charger (lots of info in this forum). As a back up get one of the glovebox Li Ion starter packs and that will get you going no problem should the 12V be flat as the 12V battery only boots the car's computers as there is no traditional starter motor - that is all done through the traction battery and the electric motors. However once the battery had been flattened a couple of times it's probably damaged and not going to be reliable.

When not moving the engine will kick in and charge the traction battery every so often as needed - but never leave the car gear shift in N for any length of time as the traction battery is NOT charged when in N - always keep it is D (or S) with foot on brake or P when stood still with the engine on. And if say listening to eg the radio keep the car on (it will mostly sit with the engine off and the electrics being run by the traction battery) otherwise with the smaller 12V battery it's easy to discharge that especially if it's already weak. 

Also NEVER jump start someone else's car from your car as a normal car with a starter motor will draw too much from your car and could cause damage.

Oh yes - and read the manuals - there are differences in driving a hybrid and lots of tech to get acquainted with... 

Overall though a very reliable car and fingers crossed you'll have no major issues. 

Excellent post. Just what this forum is all about. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

I use a Faraday pouch to store the keys when not in use - only a few pounds from Amazon/eBay etc. - do test it though when you get it just to be sure (put keys in and hold by the door handle and make sure you can't unlock using the handle sensors). I keep the second key in a tin (with other spare keys) which does the same job. As above the smart entry can also be disabled (but I like it so go with the Faraday pouch). 

Biggest issue is not driving the car as many who leave it stood for extended periods (maybe a couple of weeks) find the 12V battery goes flat. If you have any issues with that get the 12V battery changed as a first step (don't mess around trying to fix/charge etc as by then probably too late and you'll just be chasing your tail - make sure you get the correct Lexus AGM one and get Lexus to change it as there a couple of reports of issues with the audio head unit being damaged by people changing their own battery) - then drive regularly (at least once a week a decent distance or a few times a week shorter distances) and you won't have an issue. I use my car regularly - it's a 2014 reg with 118k miles (bought it when it was 2 years old at 40K miles) and it's still on original 12V battery. 

If you have to leave it for extended periods without driving look into a trickle charger (lots of info in this forum). As a back up get one of the glovebox Li Ion starter packs and that will get you going no problem should the 12V be flat as the 12V battery only boots the car's computers as there is no traditional starter motor - that is all done through the traction battery and the electric motors. However once the battery had been flattened a couple of times it's probably damaged and not going to be reliable.

When not moving the engine will kick in and charge the traction battery every so often as needed - but never leave the car gear shift in N for any length of time as the traction battery is NOT charged when in N - always keep it is D (or S) with foot on brake or P when stood still with the engine on. And if say listening to eg the radio keep the car on (it will mostly sit with the engine off and the electrics being run by the traction battery) otherwise with the smaller 12V battery it's easy to discharge that especially if it's already weak. 

Thanks so much that is some great information. I have owned an old RX300 in the past for 4 years and absolutely loved it. I went to a Honda CR-V for a while but i have been longing to get back into a Lexus. I was stuck between getting an is300h or a ct200h but everything I have seen suggests the is300 is the better choice. 
i haven’t used a CVT gearbox before so I’m expecting that to be a learning curve. Lexus are doing some touch up work and sorting out the alloys so will look like new when I get it hopefully. It will have the Lexus warranty and service etc, It’s done 78k is there anything I should be looking at that needs doing also? 
Im guessing it doesn’t have a cam belt or anything that needs looking at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

Thanks so much that is some great information. I have owned an old RX300 in the past for 4 years and absolutely loved it. I went to a Honda CR-V for a while but i have been longing to get back into a Lexus. I was stuck between getting an is300h or a ct200h but everything I have seen suggests the is300 is the better choice. 
i haven’t used a CVT gearbox before so I’m expecting that to be a learning curve. Lexus are doing some touch up work and sorting out the alloys so will look like new when I get it hopefully. It will have the Lexus warranty and service etc, It’s done 78k is there anything I should be looking at that needs doing also? 
Im guessing it doesn’t have a cam belt or anything that needs looking at.

With the mileage the big 60k/6 year service will have been done so nothing much to think about other than enjoy the car. The e-cvt works well in the IS 300h and doesn't need much thought - just drive it like any other automatic and you'll find it's very smooth and relaxing and quiet. The engine has a timing chain so no cambelt to worry about either. 

I would just add;

Ask the dealer to check the 12v Battery it is this cars achilles heel. 

I leave the car in Economy mode, it's easier than Normal mode to keep in electric drive when tootling around and just needs a quick flick to Power mode when needed. Tend to stay in Power mode on the motorway.

Ask the dealer if the Sat Nav is up to date and spend a good half hour learning how to use it, works well but can be frustrating at first.

Enjoy it's a great car.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Joe43 said:

I would just add;

Ask the dealer to check the 12v battery it is this cars achilles heel. 

I leave the car in Economy mode, it's easier than Normal mode to keep in electric drive when tootling around and just needs a quick flick to Power mode when needed. Tend to stay in Power mode on the motorway.

Ask the dealer if the Sat Nav is up to date and spend a good half hour learning how to use it, works well but can be frustrating at first.

Enjoy it's a great car.

Thanks, I get you she said it would have a thorough check with loads of bits done before I get it. I did mention the sat nav and it’s being checked to see what version it is running apparently.

she said it was damaged on delivery with a scuff down the one side which they are getting sorted along with respraying the front bumper for stone chips and the rear bumper. Plus the alloys are getting done as well. It has a full Lexus history so hoping everything was done when needed. Looking at next weekend for pickup atm but will see.

does anyone have experience of buying from Lexus dealers? I’ve never brought a main dealer car before. Is there any extras I should definitely be buying. 

10 minutes ago, Nickyt211 said:

does anyone have experience of buying from Lexus dealers? I’ve never brought a main dealer car before. Is there any extras I should definitely be buying. 

You will probably be offered: GAP Insurance, SUPAGARD, Scratch Insurance etc...

I reject them all.

If... you DO want them, buy cheaper elsewhere.

It is a very pleasant experience overall at Lexus. I'm sure you will be made to feel special.

Ask for a tank of petrol... you might get one?!

1 hour ago, Nickyt211 said:

Thanks, I get you she said it would have a thorough check with loads of bits done before I get it. I did mention the sat nav and it’s being checked to see what version it is running apparently.

she said it was damaged on delivery with a scuff down the one side which they are getting sorted along with respraying the front bumper for stone chips and the rear bumper. Plus the alloys are getting done as well. It has a full Lexus history so hoping everything was done when needed. Looking at next weekend for pickup atm but will see.

I would definitely ask about a service contract, I bought one for my IS300h & they gave me a discount, plus you know exactly what your service cost are going to be over the next 3 years, so well worth it.

I turned down Supaguard, gap insurance etc.

I would ask if you can get the winter pack added for a reasonable price, well worth it in my opinion, rubber mats, boot liner, mud flaps & bumper protector. 

8 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

Make sure they do it.

I had Motorline Cardiff promise me touch up, alloys, etc. and fail to do it. I had to have the car sent back so they could do it.

Sadly the alloy work they did ended up needing redoing a little later, as a proper alloy refurb is taking tyres off. Seems they just sprayed over mine, and I had peeling within 12 months.

The dealer I’m buying from is Lexus inchcape in Leicester. They have seemed pretty good so far. I have asked about the 12 v Battery. They said it’s something they are aware of with the IS if they are left to stand for a long time so it will be checked when they do the workshop examination and service. Looking at next Saturday for collection atm, can’t wait. 

3 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

The dealer I’m buying from is Lexus inchcape in Leicester. They have seemed pretty good so far. I have asked about the 12 v battery. They said it’s something they are aware of with the IS if they are left to stand for a long time so it will be checked when they do the workshop examination and service. Looking at next Saturday for collection atm, can’t wait. 

I got excited then as I thought you might be buying my old IS300h which has been on their forecourt since last October, but I've just read your OP - different car 😞

On 5/12/2022 at 6:43 AM, Nickyt211 said:

My two cents - Get a invoice for all the work they're doing to the car (I know you're not paying for it but they can give you a print out stating everything they've done - totalling £0.00 etc). Something like a re-spray of a bumper could cause concern later on if you where to for example claim on the warranty for a faulty headlight, where they may reply with "We can see it's been resprayed and may have been involved in an accident, the warranty on that part is void".

This is what happened to me so I've had to live with a slightly foggy headlight as I can't justify paying out c.£1k for a replacement.

Other than that, the IS300h is a fantastic car - best I've owned so far. Mine's a 2014 Premier with 74k on the clock. No issues in 3 years of ownership - other than the aforementioned.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jose DS said:

My two cents - Get a invoice for all the work they're doing to the car (I know you're not paying for it but they can give you a print out stating everything they've done - totalling £0.00 etc). Something like a re-spray of a bumper could cause concern later on if you where to for example claim on the warranty for a faulty headlight, where they may reply with "We can see it's been resprayed and may have been involved in an accident, the warranty on that part is void".

This is what happened to me so I've had to live with a slightly foggy headlight as I can't justify paying out c.£1k for a replacement.

Other than that, the IS300h is a fantastic car - best I've owned so far. Mine's a 2014 Premier with 74k on the clock. No issues in 3 years of ownership - other than the aforementioned.

Thanks jose

great advice.

i will ask when I go up to see it on Friday. Trading in my 2013 Honda CR-V for it to save money on fuel and enjoy a bit of lexus luxury too.

I have heard good things generally about lexus dealers over other companies. Fingers crossed it all turns out ok. 🙂

On 5/23/2022 at 7:00 AM, Nickyt211 said:

Picked her up on Saturday and absolutely love it. So smooth and comfortable. What a car. 

95C7E574-65A7-4B46-8A65-530FA967B088.jpeg

Looks like Sonic Titanium, like ours - works well with the her curves, I really think it's a stunning object.

Bit late, but all I can add is, from bad experience, is that get a new 12V Battery regardless of anything else, and have it installed by a Lexus dealer. What you read about above from Phil about the 12V Battery is the critical maintenance point of a Lexus hybrid. For peace of mind, do yourself a favour. It's not a major expenditure, around 1% of the cost of the car. I made a formal complaint to a Lexus dealer after a uncomfortable incident, and they accepted responsibility. In hindsight, I rather had it replaced at my own expense to prevent what happened a couple of months into ownership.

You can never really know how long the car sat somewhere without being started up (probably weeks on end), and lead-acid batteries don't take deep discharge well. These cars have small 12V batteries, which reach deep discharge levels sooner. Combine that with a couple of years of age, because they don't usually last more than 6, and some get tired of it all at the age of 4, and you're looking at a lurking fault. 

Again, I'm putting a very fine point on this because it happened to me, on arrival at Stansted late at night, and took many hours to get the car up and running. It may not be as simple as generic 'jump starting'. I tried (I had jump starter backup batteries), roadside assistance (Lexus by AA). He tried. For hours. It was a dark night, cold, and raining. We were discussing plan C (giving up and getting the car towed), when randomly the car's computer managed to boot up and initiate the hybrid system using the traction Battery. Even though I knew about this weakness, bought a high-capacity jump starter, even switched off auto unlock to reduce the load, it did not manage to get through 14 days in a car park.

You need your 12V Battery in good health if you want your 300h to reliably start up after only a few days of being left alone.

End of pontification. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2022 at 7:00 AM, Nickyt211 said:

Picked her up on Saturday and absolutely love it. So smooth and comfortable. What a car. 

95C7E574-65A7-4B46-8A65-530FA967B088.jpeg

34826904-BC28-4590-89C8-FA898B337938.jpeg

Same colour and wheels as ours, which we bought new in 2015.

The fact a 12V Battery is the only thing people are bringing up on a car that's been around since 2013 should tell you all you need to know about reliability :).

Oh our car is still on its original 12V Battery, and isn't used for weeks at a time, no issues with starting. I will get it replaced at somepoint though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Oh our car is still on its original 12V battery, and isn't used for weeks at a time, no issues with starting. I will get it replaced at somepoint though.

Living on the edge I see!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes it’s sonic titanium, lovely colour, seems to be grey in some light and silver in others. It’s a 63 plate luxury model I couldn’t be happier with the spec and feel of the car, it’s a pleasure to drive.

the Lexus dealer told me they have checked the Battery and it’s all good. It says Toyota on it lol I know nothing about batteries.

It won’t get loads of use soon as I will be having an operation, so I will order a trickle charger to look after the Battery

18 hours ago, DBIZO said:

Living on the edge I see!

Given our other car is an out of warranty Tesla, and a wasp got trapped in my helmet when going to work on my pedal bike yesterday.....been concerned about the 12V Battery on our IS300H I have to confess is very very low down on the list of 'worries' in life :D.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3