Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rust is eating my RX300 :(

Rust is eating my beloved, owned for 6 years, 2003 RX300, 113,000.

It's sad as it is a great car. All the air struts are less than 5 years old, the tyres: Michelin Cross Climates have loads of tread; as a car it's been cherished.

(As can happen, the sunroof no longer functions, nor the SatNav or Rear Camera.)

It recently took me to Islay, Scotland and back. I did get up to 32mpg but generally it's 22mpg.

But... last MOT it needed welding at the rear, and the MOT before. Currently, when filling up with petrol, the filler pipe has corroded and petrol spits out ( not when driving, just filling). I've been quoted £600 (trusted independent) to resolve it, with no Lexus parts available until June.

My last MOT also highlighted Brake Pipe corrosion, Suspension Arm corrosion and Rear Sub-frame corrosion

So it feels like it's coming to end of its life - certainly with me at least.

My wife, has a 450h, so we do have a big car for big journeys. I am thinking maybe a used Suzuki Swift. 'She' says we will only need one car, but its more than that, it's a 'man' thing I think, a hobby, independence etc.

So MOT due in August... Time to do some thinking.

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, PCM said:

Rust is eating my beloved, owned for 6 years, 2003 RX300, 113,000.

It's sad as it is a great car. All the air struts are less than 5 years old, the tyres: Michelin Cross Climates have loads of tread; as a car it's been cherished.

(As can happen, the sunroof no longer functions, nor the SatNav or Rear Camera.)

It recently took me to Islay, Scotland and back. I did get up to 32mpg but generally it's 22mpg.

But... last MOT it needed welding at the rear, and the MOT before. Currently, when filling up with petrol, the filler pipe has corroded and petrol spits out ( not when driving, just filling). I've been quoted £600 (trusted independent) to resolve it, with no Lexus parts available until June.

My last MOT also highlighted Brake Pipe corrosion, Suspension Arm corrosion and Rear Sub-frame corrosion

So it feels like it's coming to end of its life - certainly with me at least.

My wife, has a 450h, so we do have a big car for big journeys. I am thinking maybe a used Suzuki Swift. 'She' says we will only need one car, but its more than that, it's a 'man' thing I think, a hobby, independence etc.

So MOT due in August... Time to do some thinking.

1. If to repair it correctly, it costs significantly less than the cost of buying a suitable replacement, then keep it Piers.

2. Suzuki close to me have multiple flags flying boasting of their new 10 year warranty. Suzuki is partly owned by Toyota, I believe.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 8:26 AM, royoftherovers said:

1. If to repair it correctly, it costs significantly less than the cost of buying a suitable replacement, then keep it Piers.

2. Suzuki close to me have multiple flags flying boasting of their new 10 year warranty. Suzuki is partly owned by Toyota, I believe.

Interestingly, John, having had a good chat to 'my' garage today...

They also suggest similar to your option 1. In other words, get to a pre-MOT inspection in August, cost it as per what might need to be done and then decide.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, PCM said:

Interestingly, John, having had a good chat to 'my' garage today...

They also suggest similar to your option 1. In other words, get to a pre-MOT inspection in August, cost it as per what might need to be done and then decide.

That`s what I have to do each year,but given that it would set me back approx£9k for another Merc Estate, it is a no brainer. As I hope yours will be too Piers

• Like 4

Good advice from John again 🙂

I've spent the weekend tackling front and rear brakes on my RX that's only a handful of years behind yours Piers and have already accepted I will have similar fun.

It's an unfortunate fact that cars are only designed to last a limited lifespan, my own is over 16 years old so well beyond anything that was specced on that life cycle.  I figure it's best to accept that metal rusts regardless the supplier (you should see some of the VAG cars I've had to deal with) and deal with it best you can.  It would be a shame to scrap a car that's economically repairable, especially one that has served you so well!

If anyone wants me I'll be in the shed playing with Lanoguard 😉

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Well... sadly, my RX300 will cost a few thousand to get through its latest MOT ( mostly old age and corrosion ) and I have been advised it's not worth doing... ( FOC ).

The advice is ( with no MOT ) sell it to webuyanycar.

It's been a great car, took me to Scotland and back - 1,000 miles plus. But her time has come.

I'm going to search now for a used Toyota Iq.

[ If anyone is looking to sell one... ] 

:sadangel:

• Sad 2

PCM sad to see that it's reached the end of the road.

My 1996 Volvo 940 is needing a bit of welding this year to get it through the MOT. A rust hole around 40mm x 10mm on the offside rear jacking point. 

How about an Aygo or Yaris. Quite a good car.

James.

• Like 2

My previous car was 20 years old when I sold it, but the last few years was a case of playing whack a mole with various bits of rust that needed welding. I sold it last year and bought my Lexus, but wish I'd sold and replaced it sooner.

Once it gets to a few grand in rust repairs there's a danger of it becoming a money pit, with new bits to patch up each year. After nearly twenty years it's probably better to bite the bullet while it doesn't owe you anything, unless you can be sure that any fix will solve the issues for a few years.

• Like 1

Thank you all.

I am hoping... that when I sell it, someone who can use their own labour, will do it up and keep it on the road.

Still looks lovely, but it does have issues, which makes it non-viable for me...

😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 2