Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just thought I would share because when I looked at the spend it seems like a lot but most of this has been general maintenance except the rear passenger side calliper seizing. Definately makes sense to stick to the car now that I spent this much. IS250 used was £2600 at 83,000 miles.

Here is my spend I keep a track of this. The cost includes parts and labour.

Tell me what you guys think.

Date Parts Info Mileage Cost
Acquired on 11/1/2021 First fuel was Shell 99 Octane      
Last service on purchase  2018   Log book stamp    
Purchase Halfords  12/1/2021 Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5 Oil 4 Litre x2 Halfords   £35.00
Purchase EuroCarParts 12/1/2021 Crosland Air Filter, Bosch Oil Filter, Crosland Cabin Filter EuroCarParts   £31.61
Service 16/1/2021 Crosland Air Filter, Bosch Oil Filter, Crosland Cabin Filte, Oil Magnatec A5 Garage   £30.00
Wheel Alignment 20/1/2021 Only front wheel was slightly off, not too bad. All green. Garage   £40.00
New Front Tyres 3/3/2021 Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2 225/45 R17 Y (94) X2 Garage   £160.00
OBD Home Check 2/3/2021 OBD Reader Home, 0 Faults codes.   £0.00
Trans Oil Change Full 11/6/2021 Filter & Gasket Seal & 5L Oil (Aisin Gearbox Fluid) Gearbox Oils Ltd, Thurrock   £280.00
Brakes 22/6/2021 Pagid Front brake discs and Pads Garage   £170.10
Service 17/8/2021 Engine Oil and Oil Filter (Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 6L) Garage 88413 £115.77
Coolant 4L Roughly Drain/Refill 6/10/2021 Toyota Super Long Life Coolant Garage 89477 £74.88
Service 18/03/2022 Engine Oil and Oil Filter and Air Filter (Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 6L) Garage 93000 £121.79
Brakes 18/03/2022 Pagid Rear brake discs and Pads Garage 93000 £127.19
Driver Rear Caliper Repair 18/03/2022 N/A Garage 93000 £80.00
New Passenger Rear Caliper 25/03/2022 Purchased Pin Sliding Kit (Toyota Parts and eBay) + Pagid Caliper Garage 93050 £149.18
Wheel Alignment   No issues (check only) Garage   £20.00
OBD Home Check 29/4/2022 OBD Reader Home, 0 Faults codes. 93000 £0.00
Spark Plugs (Original Denso) + Labour 11/05/2022 Lexus Parts Direct and £60 Labour Garage 93111 £143.98
Oil Additive   STP Oil Treatment X2      £11.00
Hydraulic Additive 12/05/2022 Wynns Hydraulic Lifter Fluid     £10.00
Car Body Repair     Garage (Body Shop)   £220.0
Gasket Seal Repair     Garage   £300.0

Have not done the Gasket Seal repair but factored it in because I did mention in another thread old spark plugs which were not changed for 8 years had oil on 3 of them and the mechanic advised to sort the seals out.

It is a lot of money but then again had I bought the car for £3500 I would still have these general repairs. 

What do you guys think. Done around 10,000 miles since I got it. 

Total spend on maintenance = £2120.50

• Like 2

Many thing I would not call "general maintenance", I would class them under "consumables" or "wear and tear items" e.g. tyres or brake pads, those are just things you have to change from time to time, same as fill up the tank with petrol. The rear callipers, or valve cover gasket - yes that is "general maintenance".

I think some lines have moved around a bit, so it is hard to figure out what cost what. All in all, £2120 sounds like a lot of money, but it seems you have fixed every single small bit.

Other thing to note - if you cold do it by yourself you would have saved like £500 e.g. spark plugs, pads and disks that is what I would do myself. 

I am doing similar log for all of my cars as well, really helps to keep on top of maintenance and you kind of know when it is time to do something. So that is good habit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Herbie said:
8 hours ago, Ozzay said:

Tell me what you guys think.

I think you need a hobby :wink1:

Who cares what it costs? Just enjoy it.

OCD springs to mind !

My dad and my uncle Bert always used to keep a log of the petrol spent and journeys they did in their cars BUT I am talking of the mindset from 70 years ago  ......  times thankfully have moved on ..........  and so's the comparative cost of petrol probably ..  but there hangs a Q ......... what is the comparative fuel costs these days I wonder :unsure:

Malc

• Like 1

Looks like a good testament to the reliability of these cars.
Sliding pins aside, that is simply the cost of running a car for 10k miles whilst keeping it well maintained.

Compare that to my old BMW 530D of a similar age (a small sample of the memorable bits).

• Turbo - £1,700
  • Cracked Exhaust Manifold - £1,100 (replacement cracked also which is when I got shot of the car)
  • Pretty much every suspension component in successive years, about £800
  • Parking Sensors x4
  • Bluetooth module (got through three of these, accepting they were old eBay replacements and an age learning how to code)
  • Thermostats x 2
  • Glowplug conroller
  • EGR replacement due to split diaphragm

The turbo, manifold and suspension were done by garages, the rest DIY on my drive.
Then add your list above for general maintenance, oils, brakes, tyres etc.

The BMW was a fantastic car to drive, the IS250 is very pedestrian compared to the BMW but BMW are simply money pits.
I can't describe the diagnostic time which goes into the BMW before buying and fitting the correct replacement parts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Many thing I would not call "general maintenance", I would class them under "consumables" or "wear and tear items" e.g. tyres or brake pads, those are just things you have to change from time to time, same as fill up the tank with petrol. The rear callipers, or valve cover gasket - yes that is "general maintenance".

I think some lines have moved around a bit, so it is hard to figure out what cost what. All in all, £2120 sounds like a lot of money, but it seems you have fixed every single small bit.

Other thing to note - if you cold do it by yourself you would have saved like £500 e.g. spark plugs, pads and disks that is what I would do myself. 

I am doing similar log for all of my cars as well, really helps to keep on top of maintenance and you kind of know when it is time to do something. So that is good habit. 

Your right. Labour is where I should have saved money on this car for the basics. Having your own garage or drive helps with these things as you can just leave it and be in peace if something messes up.

2 hours ago, chr15gb said:

Looks like a good testament to the reliability of these cars.
Sliding pins aside, that is simply the cost of running a car for 10k miles whilst keeping it well maintained.

Compare that to my old BMW 530D of a similar age (a small sample of the memorable bits).

• Turbo - £1,700
  • Cracked Exhaust Manifold - £1,100 (replacement cracked also which is when I got shot of the car)
  • Pretty much every suspension component in successive years, about £800
  • Parking Sensors x4
  • Bluetooth module (got through three of these, accepting they were old ebay replacements and an age learning how to code)
  • Thermostats x 2
  • Glowplug conroller
  • EGR replacement due to split diaphragm

The turbo, manifold and suspension were done by garages, the rest DIY on my drive.
Then add your list above for general maintenance, oils, brakes, tyres etc.

The BMW was a fantastic car to drive, the IS250 is very pedestrian compared to the BMW but BMW are simply money pits.
I can't describe the diagnostic time which goes into the BMW before buying and fitting the correct replacement parts.

It is pricey what you have described but would not mind a 6 cylinder 530d

Oz, aren't BMWs renowned as moneypits ?  Many people have these dreadfully expensive experiences methinks :unsure:

Your compacency with the Lexus tiny costs ......... don't hanker after looming bankruptcy :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

I keep a similar log with most thigs I did to the car since I got it in July 2020. I do this largely as the car didn't come with a service book so that's kind of my service history during my ownership

Total expense £1,747.00
July 2020 Service - oil, filter, sparkplugs, brake fluid, coolant, diff oil £430.00
September 2020 rear tyres & 4wheel alignment £250.00
October 2020 Mot £37.00
October 2020 water pump, belt & pulleys £230.00
November 2020 Battery £90.00
21 Aug 2021 oil & air/cabin/oil filters Change @92730 £100.00
October 2021 MOT £45.00
5th march 2022 stainless steel back boxes £380.00
29th March Ceramic window tints £185.00

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zoricib said:

I keep a similar log with most thigs I did to the car since I got it in July 2020. I do this largely as the car didn't come with a service book so that's kind of my service history during my ownership

Total expense £1,747.00
July 2020 Service - oil, filter, sparkplugs, brake fluid, coolant, diff oil £430.00
September 2020 rear tyres & 4wheel alignment £250.00
October 2020 Mot £37.00
October 2020 water pump, belt & pulleys £230.00
November 2020 Battery £90.00
21 Aug 2021 oil & air/cabin/oil filters Change @92730 £100.00
October 2021 MOT £45.00
5th march 2022 stainless steel back boxes £380.00
29th March Ceramic window tints £185.00

I have not done diff oil do you think its worth doing?

It was on the maintenance list and cheap enough to be done so went with it. I did a big service after I got the car and tried to check as many things possible from the servicing list for peace of mind. 

• Like 1

I have not done diff oil do you think its worth doing?

Definately worth doing.  It's easy to do and not expensive. 

From memory I think the recomended change interval is 40K miles so you are probably well due!!

According to LexTec gearbox and rear diff oil change at 100k intervals. I phoned them last week for a quote, still waiting for a call back. 

Remember to Always remove Fill plug first before draining Diff oil. ( to ensure you can actually put oil back in after removing Drain plug)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links