Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX300h to NX350h Queries

We are considering ordering a NX350h to replace our NX300h. We have had a test drive and were pretty impressed with the general upgrade in the new model. We would probably go for the Premium Plus pack rather than the Takumi as we don't want self parking, the ML audio or the (useless) camera mirror.

The very long delivery lead time does not bother us but we do have a few queries which someone might be able to help with.

- Does the new version make a silly noise when running at slow speeds on Battery only?

- Can the old NX wheels be fitted to the new model? We have a set of winter wheels for our current car and it would be handy to use these. We note that the "standard" tyre size is 235/60 R18 on the new one vs. 225/60 R18 on the old one. However, while the rims are both 7.5J, PCD 114.3 and offset ET35, the wheel stud size seems to be M14 rather than M12.

Any other input would be welcome.

17 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

Does the new version make a silly noise when running at slow speeds on battery only?

All new EV/PHEV and hybrids must be fitted with Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) by EU regulation, which the UK has also adopted. I beleive it can be disabled, though maybe only temporarily, say for manuvouring on one's driveway/street ..

The NX loaner I had was fitted with AVAS and I found it truely irritating!

Yes itll come with the sound thing.

You cant disable it and it was quite annoying at first but you get used to it. It switches off over 20mph or so anyway.

3 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Does the new version make a silly noise when running at slow speeds on battery only?

Just turn the radio up.

15 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Yes itll come with the sound thing.

You cant disable it and it was quite annoying at first but you get used to it. It switches off over 20mph or so anyway.

It's barely audible on my NX450h+.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

It switches off over 20mph or so anyway.

From the handbook

"The sound will stop when the vehicle speed exceeds
approximately 25 km/h (15 mph)."

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

You cant disable it

There certainly isn't any mention of it in the handbook but the regulation does allow for it to be temporarily disabled. Maybe Lexus have chosen not to impliment it that way. I thought there was another thread some time back discussing disabling the AVAS?

12 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

From the handbook

"The sound will stop when the vehicle speed exceeds
approximately 25 km/h (15 mph)."

There certainly isn't any mention of it in the handbook but the regulation does allow for it to be temporarily disabled. Maybe Lexus have chosen not to impliment it that way. I thought there was another thread some time back discussing disabling the AVAS?

Theres no way to disable it from the vehicle itself. The UXe has it too and theres nothing in the cabin or settings to suggest it can be turned off even temporarily 

Just as an odd point from our test drive of a Takumi spec. model, does anyone have the digital rear view mirror?

I found this useless for a reason which will affect many "senior" Lexus owners. Like a lot of older people, I am long sighted and thus I drive without any spectacles. This means that my close vision is not as sharp as it might be. A normal mirror has the same eye focus distance as looking out of the windscreen and is thus fine. The video screen mirror requires you to refocus on a display just a few centimetres from your face and is, for me, out of sharp focus.

As usual, this has been designed by 25 year olds. 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

Just as an odd point from our test drive of a Takumi spec. model, does anyone have the digital rear view mirror?

I found this useless for a reason which will affect many "senior" Lexus owners. Like a lot of older people, I am long sighted and thus I drive without any spectacles. This means that my close vision is not as sharp as it might be. A normal mirror has the same eye focus distance as looking out of the windscreen and is thus fine. The video screen mirror requires you to refocus on a display just a few centimetres from your face and is, for me, out of sharp focus.

Not had an issue with it but it's still a bit pointless unless you're driving a van,

In essence surely it's just like looking at a display so it'd be similar to looking at the instrument display behind the steering wheel would it not?

Because of the rake on the screen, I think the mirror is slightly closer to your eyes but you are correct in that I am just on the limit of my short distance focus when looking at the centre NAV screen. I don't have any problem with the HUD. The main difference is that it is pretty essential to look in the mirror very frequently and clearly note what you see but not so much for viewing the other displays.

29 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Not had an issue with it but it's still a bit pointless unless you're driving a van,

In essence surely it's just like looking at a display so it'd be similar to looking at the instrument display behind the steering wheel would it not?

I won't have it if my NX is ever delivered 😁 but I always assumed that it was designed to help if you have people or luggage in the back which may make it difficult to see out of the rear view mirror (or as a gadget for people that like that kind of thing).

16 hours ago, Simon F said:

I won't have it if my NX is ever delivered 😁 but I always assumed that it was designed to help if you have people or luggage in the back which may make it difficult to see out of the rear view mirror (or as a gadget for people that like that kind of thing).

Well yes, the theory is there. I believe Jag came out with it a few years ago but the main problem was that theres no real perception of how far vehicles behind you actually are unlike a normal rear view mirror

18 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Interesting - does it not have any diopter adjustment for long/short sight like electronic viewfinders in cameras? Even if you have variable focal lenses in spectacles that are set for distance at the top and close up at the bottom this would only then help for the dash instruments but then not the digital rear view mirror. If it's not adjustable at all certainly could make it difficult for the reasons you mention, but maybe it's the same on all cars using them?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links