Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I experienced the pre-crash safety system!

On Friday I was at the back of the queue for some right-turn traffic lights on a busy dual carriageway. Without warning, the headrest tilted forward to touch the back of my head. My immediate thought was "15 year old car full of tech... must be an electrical gremlin". Glanced at the rearview mirror to see someone barrelling down the filter lane toward my back bumper to overtake traffic, then cutting back in at the last second. 😮 Then, as soon as he'd passed me the headrest went back to the normal position and I remembered reading something about a rear-facing radar in the manual, and the car prepping itself for a rear-end shunt. 

Good to know that even 15 years after manufacture with presumably it's still working as the engineers intended! What was surprising was how far in advance the car decided to prep for a shunt; it felt like a good half second or more. 

• Like 5

The other thing that happens when the head rests go off is that the doors all click unlocked, and then, when there is no collision, they immediately click locked again.

When the forward facing precrash goes off, it's even more spectacular.

: o )

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the LS430 (facelift) does anything similar with the front-facing sensors? I know it slows down automatically until 40km/h when you have the radar cruise enabled and enhances braking if you also attempt to brake during that time, but can it actually detect or prevent a collision at lower speeds? It seems like I've had the system activate by "slamming" the brake pedal as the headrests, seatbelts etc... tensioned (no car in-front, just testing) but luckily have not been in the situation for any pre-collision warning such as potentially rear-ending someone.

10 hours ago, DomTurner said:

Does anyone know if the LS430 (facelift) does anything similar with the front-facing sensors? I know it slows down automatically until 40km/h when you have the radar cruise enabled and enhances braking if you also attempt to brake during that time, but can it actually detect or prevent a collision at lower speeds? It seems like I've had the system activate by "slamming" the brake pedal as the headrests, seatbelts etc... tensioned (no car in-front, just testing) but luckily have not been in the situation for any pre-collision warning such as potentially rear-ending someone.

The Pre-Collision System (PCS, called Pre-Crash System in UK) came with the Radar Cruise control if it was fitted, so only on 05 and 06 models.
It's mentioned in the 05 & 06 Owners Manuals but is front only.

Yes also experienced this in my 600. Driving alone and suddenly car in next lane drive past but very close to my car. All hazard lights went on and doors unlocked then suddenly back to normal. 

Have also seen emergency braking and when using radar cruise in sudden heavy rain, the system switching itself off and signalling man to take over from machine!  

• Like 2

The adaptive cruise in a 460 does give up in really heavy rain - I think the radar doesn't get through the rain.

More excitingly, if you arrive at a roundabout and brake to stop because someone else is travelling across your path too rapidly, for instance,  the cameras pick this up.   Then there is the sound of the unlocking door, plus the electric seatbelt retractors, which pull the two front seatbelts as tight as they can, stopping you breathing for 5 or so seconds.  I love it!  It's only happened to me three times in 14 years of ownership, but these were indeed high points!

There are other things that happen as well.  The suspension hardens up, and both the brakes and the steering amplify your actions for those few seconds, but these are secondary!

The car does give you a very good sense of security.

: o )

• Like 1

I've not experienced it in my own car (probably as it doesn't have it) 😳 🤣 but I was in my brothers C5 Aircross about 3 days after it was delivered and coming into a roundabout as I glanced right to look for traffic I didn't notice the car in front had moved forward and then stopped dead in its tracks. I was suddenly aware of a lot of beeping and the car literally stood on its nose and stopped dead without me touching the pedal. Took me a few seconds to realise what had happened but nobody noticed so I gathered myself and drove on. That was my first (and hopefully last!) experience of that technology but I am glad it worked 🙂 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links