Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newcomer test drive

SS64

Hi there. Finally it has happened ! I managed to test drive the ES. Premium edition. I had previously asked for adv from all of you and I got very useful info. My previous cars - Range Rover, Maserati Ghibli, BMW 3 GT. currently E class 350d. Here are my thoughts.

Exterior - in the flesh this car is a beauty. Loved the Premium and Takumi with New front mesh and 3 eye bladescan headlights. Looks sleek, sporty yet elegant. Rear is also lovely with the right amount of angles but not too much. I for one did not like the black alloys and mesh etc in F sport. As you all would have guessed I am the serene luxury kind of guy. 

Interior - outstanding in one word. Design, materials are the best I have come across. The panel gaps are ridiculously tight. The metallic finish in some places is classy. The cream leather seats were so refined. Only one downside - the infotainment is rather dated looking almost 10 years behind the Germans. Is almost as good or bad as my Maserati. Thankfully apple car play is there though not wireless which is a bit annoying but not a deal breaker. Touch screen with applecarplay is lovely. 

Room and practicality- outstanding again. Is almost Merc S class rear leg room !! Front seats are super comfy. So are rear seats with very nice centre arm rest. Boot is good. Disappointing that power tailgate is only in F sport with takumi pack or Takumi model. Again not a deal breaker. Boot space is plenty for me. Sunroof is not panoramic but good enough to make the car feel roomy. 

Audio - standard is good enough for me. Mark Levinson is one of the best I have come across. As good as the Burmester in my current Mercedes.

Drive - Serene. Smooth. Relaxing. I am no junior Lewis Hamilton and have never revved my car or thrown my car around ever. Even the Maserati I drove sedately  the only reason I went for it was the sheer exterior beauty. Fuel efficiency is out of this planet for petrol. I drove the tester for 1 Hour mixed city and highway and got close to 52 mpg.

Exterior colour - liked the red, blue and grey. Interior the rich cream is my fav.

In a nutshell loved the car. Had gone in with very negative thoughts. But came out smiling. Sleek and beautiful outside, luxurious and comfortable inside, refined and smooth drive. And fuel efficient. So am going to order soon. 

let me know what you all think of my comments. Thanks 

• Like 5

A very positive  test drive review, I agree with everything you have said, you seem to have approached the Ecvt gearbox with an open mind and discovered what most of us found, it is really smooth, efficient and delivers exactly what you need. Ok  it isn’t probably the best for thrashing round the Neuremberg ring which seems to be what most motoring journalists judge these things on.

I have Sonic Titanium with a black interior and the dark wood trim on the dash, steering wheel etc, love it.

if you want comfort, space, petrol economy with a bit of luxury in a premium car I don’t think it can be matched.

Regarding the infotainment, yes it isn’t quite like the Germans but on the other hand I came to my ES Takumi from an IS Advance and believe me it’s a massive step up for me, but Android auto gives me everything I need, agree about the cable though….first world problems and all that😀

I think there are two sorts of people when it comes to a considering a Lexus - those with an open mind as to what it can deliver and who are often pleasantly surprised, and those with a pre-conceived and largely fixed mind set often coming from reading too many motoring publications... Good to hear that you were in the former group, tested it realistically, and can see that it's a car that meets your current needs. Given that you should have a long and happy relationship with the car. 

• Like 1

Great review and I agree with all the comments above, I came from Jag XF R sport and previous Merc 320CLS. Compared to the Jag the ES doesn’t like to be thrown around and the meridian sound I still think is the best available, but apart from that I am not missing anything. Acceleration is almost the same, fuel economy is the same (although XF was diesel, so bad for environment and expensive) and quality can’t be beaten, I am no longer worried about how much it might cost if something breaks. The CLS was quick between the roundabouts but handled like a tanker and I kept seeing them everywhere I went and normally driven (sorry to be ageist) men twice my age who would wave at me. I still haven’t seen another ES on the road (in the UK) 

I also agree with the design comments, I too love the Maserati and was looking for a good  one before the Jag, I was even more worried though about repair bills though.

@SS64

I really liked your detailed review on the ES and once i win the lottery then may very possibly go buy one

Shame though that here in the UK most road users don't appreciate what Lexus and luxury japaense vehicles have to offer as they all tend to go after the German cars. Only lexus offer Omotenashi!

Anyways looking forward to future updates and photos of your ES.

Best of luck 🤞

Nice review - I agree with the comments on the black wheels. Mines a 2021 with Gun Metal Grey wheels - I really don’t like the black wheels on the MY22 and although apple car play is not wireless, wireless doesn’t transmit HD sounds which are astounding on the Mark Levinson system.

D212E272-D667-46C5-AE19-AC23FA8B7B97.jpeg

Nice review with which I largely agree, save for interior quality which is below par compared with old GS model. If you can live with that the ES is indeed a great left field choice.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links