Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus dealership communication issues ref new NX delivery

Having been a Lexus customer for 10 years+ ( 2 450h’s both excellent cars), I ordered a NX450h F Sport mid February 2022 with an ETA of June 2022. I was strongly encouraged to sell my current 450h by the dealership and as I had another car I could use, I agreed. I was advised that although delivery of new cars was extended things were improving and a June delivery was probable.

I had no communication from the dealership so in mid April I contacted the salesperson who confirmed that the ETA was still June although he initially said my car was on track as per the order for September but then corrected himself. He subsequently confirmed the June delivery date by email.

Last week I emailed the salesperson and had noresponse. I then had a call from the dealership and was told the salesperson I was dealing with had moved toanother branch and I was allocated another contact. Hethen proceeded to tell me my delivery was pushed backto September. He said he had no knowledge of my email enquiries. 

My concern is more about the communication process from the dealership rather than the delivery delays. I feel that I have been given over optimistic delivery dates toencourage me to place my order.

The dealership I am buying the car from has recently been taken over by one of the largest car dealership groups in the UK and there is all new management at the showroom. Customer service was excellent prior to the takeover but I feel it’s all about hitting the targets now. I am considering contacting Lexus UK but is it going tomake any difference?

We have had exactly the same happen; we ordered on Jan 5th from Hedge End, told it would be there late May, possibly June. Based on that we sold our 33 months old Porsche Macan S in very late  April and gritted out teeth for what we thought would be a few weeks with just one car. Sales person  [MH, by any chance?] did not contact us as he promised to do, then began failing to answer our emails enquiring about delivery.  It's only when I rang to get that question answered that we discovered that he had left months ago [writing this in mid May, now] and that our new NX 450h+ would be arriving in September [now mid July we are told....]. We've had new MBs [ S Class] and Porsche [911 / Macan etc] for the last 25 + years and never had this lack of attention. We also run, as the house run-about, a Ford estate and our Ford dealership is brilliant in every respect. So, for our first Lexus, we are not overly impressed.

There are 2 aspects to a car. the buying experience and the car itself which includes drive etc

Hope that both of you at least appreciate and are happy with the car once it arrives but can 100% understand your feelings in reagrds to the lack of communication and customer service from a company that brag so much about that.

So yes i do validate all your points mentioned but at the ssame time think that hope you are happy with the car and no issues.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, b4u2 said:

There are 2 aspects to a car. the buying experience and the car itself which includes drive etc

I'd say after sales is a 3rd and if the buying experience is poor that does not give you confidence that the after sales experience will be great.

• Like 3

While there is little excuse for not keeping you informed, the dealers have been really blindsided by the factory delaying deliveries which is substantially out of their control.

To give you some idea, we have had it indicated to us that if we order a new NX350h now, the delivery will be July 2023. This is from Hedge End and we have had very good service from them purchasing 6 Lexus cars over the years. Service support has also been excellent.

• Like 3

I agree that dealers have had little control over the delays and that timely communication is important. We also got our UXe from Hedge End and are a little disappointed that MH has left as the service he provided was excellent. We asked for an extended test drive, amongst other things to check the car would fit nicely into the garage, and nothing seemed too much trouble. We're hoping the service support for its first 'check' in July is as good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, malcolmw said:

To give you some idea, we have had it indicated to us that if we order a new NX350h now, the delivery will be July 2023.

How can dealers apparently give an accurate delivery of July 2023 if ordered today when my dealer can't even confirm if I am getting my car (ordered 12th Feb) in either 2022 or 2023 !!

Seems strange, i do think that most dealers really haven't a clue about delivery until a build slot is allocated. They should be honest and admit that if true. My car is still showing 'Order in progress" more than 3 months after order. The Lexus Link app needs updating to give more info I think.

Moan over.

I am still waiting after 9 months,ordered on the 1st September.350h Takumi 

Dealer has told me it will be August for delivery.

Just one big waiting game .

24 minutes ago, painter said:

I am still waiting after 9 months,ordered on the 1st September.350h Takumi 

Dealer has told me it will be August for delivery.

Just one big waiting game .

I ordered 350h Takumi too, Graphite metallic black with Hazel interior, what did you go for?

What does your Lexus Link currently say?

2 minutes ago, imgo said:

I ordered 350h Takumi too, Graphite metallic black with Hazel interior, what did you go for?

What does your Lexus Link currently say?

I’ve ordered a 450h F Sport. My Lexus Link says the order is being processed. Build has not started

I have never ever believed one word any customer service rep said to me. I am just nodding and trying to get to know and do my research myself. About Lexus - my delivery is planned for March 2023. Do I believe it? Absolutely not. Would I sell my car now based on an opinion of some random guy who yesterday was flipping burgers, today is working in automotive industry after a few hours 'training' and tomorrow will be working in any random place in the world? Of course not.

Hopefully we will get our cars SOON. How soon? The truth is no one knows. If anyone has anything in writing, please share with us, I will happily at least consider changing my opinion for a second.

I have purchased several cars from Hedge End and have used this dealership consistently for servicing and the odd repair and I have never been disappointed.

Unfortunately, the issue you are highlighting is not currently just with Lexus, and not isolated to the car industry. It relates to the ongoing shortage of computer chips due to the huge increase in demand and the inability of manufacturers to meet that demand. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that most chips are manufactured in China, and the Chinese market itself has seen a 25% increase in demand year on year over the past 2 years. Moreover, it seems that manufacturers are also struggling in securing materials from further up the supplier chain.

Current estimates suggest that it will be least12 to 18 months before the situation stabilises... but I think this is optimistic.

Interestingly, this has a positive impact on the value of second cars which have seen their value shoot up recently.

See:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58230388
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3648349/about-that-alarming-chip-shortage-dont-count-on-new-fab-plants-to-help-quickly.html#:~:text=A report from the US,mismatch%2C” the report stated.
https://www.wired.com/story/why-chip-shortage-drags-on/

There are plenty of other articles on the web...

Positive impact on used values is no good if you cannot get a new car. Late used ones are now at new list levels. I dont know how people can wait a year for a new car.I will change my mind several times over that period!Plus,the model will get facelifted and the spec changed. Will manufacturers guarentee the same price for 12+ months?

A J.

Just to add balance and show that some Lexus dealers keep customers updated, I received the 3-4 weekly call from the Ipswich dealership advising me that, as things currently stand, the revised date I was given a few weeks ago of delivery in August (450h ordered 31st Jan) is still current.

It was originally planned for June when ordering but I was notified of the slippage around the end of March

On 5/17/2022 at 6:13 PM, Chris UXe said:

I agree that dealers have had little control over the delays and that timely communication is important. We also got our UXe from Hedge End and are a little disappointed that MH has left as the service he provided was excellent. We asked for an extended test drive, amongst other things to check the car would fit nicely into the garage, and nothing seemed too much trouble. We're hoping the service support for its first 'check' in July is as good. 

The NX is our second car from Lexus Hedge End and we were very happy with the service we received from MH - same experience as Chris.

Well, we have ordered a new NS350h Premium Plus Pack + Pano Roof (Sonic White with Dark Rose interior) from Hedge End. They are estimating July 2023 for delivery although this is not guaranteed. Fortunately, we are not too concerned about  the delivery date.

The deal is that the price is fixed as at date of ordering irrespective of when the car is delivered. They have also given a minimum guaranteed trade in value for our current NX300h Takumi. The deposit is fully refundable should we cancel.

We don't honestly see what more they could do to give us a clear idea of the cost to change.

• Like 4