Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

O.k some of you may know it looks like my head gasket has gone.. (around the 4th april) i have been doing short trips to a from work (about 4 miles a day) and one round trip of about 20 miles ... the car is booked to go in to the dealer thursday to have an inspection they will then quote me for having it done..(another 20 mile round trip) two days to get parts for it.. but this weekend comming i have got a wedding that i should be at and its around about 50 miles round trip .. what sort of damage could i be doing to the engine???

at the moment i have bubbles comming up into the rad expansion tank that smell of exhaust/petrol fumes and that happens even on very short trips..

craig

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

You use to be able to tell if the Head Gasket was gone/going was by the oil cap, if the residue on the cap is oily and dark, you're OK but if it's like looking at mustard, then the Gasket is leaking water into the oil.

Never heard of the Rad Expanstion tank smeling of Fume's etc...., does the rad water look like it's containing oil ??

Paul

You use to be able to tell if the Head Gasket was gone/going was by the oil cap, if the residue on the cap is oily and dark, you're OK but if it's like looking at mustard, then the Gasket is leaking water into the oil.

Cannot always tell. If you are doing short journeys then moisture will form on the inside of the filler cap and will mix with the oil to form a nice light brown cream.

If you have gas escaping from the cylinders into the cooland then the coolant will get very hot. Keep an eye on the temp gauge, you could do big damage to the engine if it overheats.

craig.. my windom had the same symptoms

head gasket went and Toyota charged £1200 to fit a new gasket

I hope everything is ok mate

I dont think craig wanted to hear that steve

well i got the news today.. when the guy started talking figures i thought he was giving me a telephone number to call :blink: gave me three options..

1. get lucky and only need to replace head gasket.. £750-900

2. not so lucky and head needs replacing as well £2000

3 **** out of luck (which is me most of the time) the block is warped brand new engine..£10'000

of course 3. is out of the question coz i would have to find a scrapped one instead...

and they will not know until they take it all apart..sick:

so now i have not got a clue what to do:crybaby:

craig

I do feel for you mate, a difficult choice to make, :unsure: just wish I could offer something, may be Pete will be able to pull something out of his hat with his mechanic.

May be worth looking around for a scrapy just in case, not the answer you were hoping for but ....... it's a start.

I take it that they confirmed that the head gasket was leaking

Well he wont have a problem in looking at it i'm sure but just like Lexus he wont know what damage has been done until he takes it apart and may still have the same outcome as Lexus(which means your paying him to tell you something you may not want to hear).

Let me know mate what you want to do.

will do pete.. got to make some serious choices.. including one saying f it and getting a non lexus car i am pretty depressed at the moment as its not the sort a cash i have laying around and certainly cant afford another lex.... still paying back this one..

Don't know how many members there are of this club now, but how about starting something like.....

"Lexus Club Together Scheme"

.....Whereby if a member has a major problem, those other members who'd like to, or felt sorry for them, could contribute, say £2, towards getting that major problem fixed. If there were 500 members who wanted to contribute, my GCSE maths says that would be £1000 crisp ones to help get that Lex back on the road.

Then, provided you had contributed to someone else's woe, if your own Lex should knacker up, you would be eligable for receiving help from other members too.

Obviously some kind of vetting would be required incase someone decided they'd like a new set of 18" alloys and deliberately went round kerbing them and you'd have to stop people making minor claims for things like punctures or windscreen washer fluid running out, but I think that on the whole Lexus drivers are an honest lot and would not milk the system.

Good idea or have I had too much beer to drink tonight?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links