Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Voice command - Radio

Hi All,
Some advice, or instruction would be most helpful.
After nearly 2 years of owning a NX with the larger screened Infotainment system I thought I'd give the voice commands a go.
Works OK for choosing a FM radio station from the pre-sets, but for the life of me I cannot get it to recognise a single DAB station.

Any ideas / hints of what I'm doing wrong?

18 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

Hi All,
After nearly 2 years of owning a NX with the larger screened Infotainment system I thought I'd give the voice commands a go.
Works OK for choosing a FM radio station from the pre-sets, but for the life of me I cannot get it to recognise a single DAB station.

Basically, trying to use the voice command system. It really is not worth the effort.

1 hour ago, Al D-Much said:

Hi All,

Voice command cannot be used for DAB.  When you select a station by voice it defaults to FM.

Many people find the voice command poor. It has bugs for playback of mp3 off usb (some software versions work ok, some have bugs).  When it works it works well. If you have a version with the voice command bug it will not work at all.  I use it a lot for phone calls and this works well. As do some of the basic say nav commands such as "go home" or "favourite office"

I think dictating an address to the navigation is a mixed bag.

Paul

Strange, I told it to "Play Classic FM" while tuned to another DAB station and it worked for me. Meanwhile I had chance to try the new maps out today, I was impressed I could just tell it to "Navigate to [railway station]" and it found it but still trying to work out if the routing is any good or if I'll just use apple Maps + CarPlay.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, The_Doctor said:

Strange, I told it to "Play Classic FM" while tuned to another DAB station and it worked for me. Meanwhile I had chance to try the new maps out today, I was impressed I could just tell it to "Navigate to [railway station]" and it found it but still trying to work out if the routing is any good or if I'll just use Apple Maps + CarPlay.

Try using voice to select a DAB station and you'll be disappointed.
Mine too worked going from a DAB station to an FM station.
That was on my NX 300h 2020

I wouldn't use apple Maps, they are terrible. Once in London it couldn't find the pub that was right behind me! For NAV I'm sticking with Waze due to the "safety" camera updates.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, The_Doctor said:

Strange, I told it to "Play Classic FM" while tuned to another DAB station and it worked for me. Meanwhile I had chance to try the new maps out today, I was impressed I could just tell it to "Navigate to [railway station]" and it found it but still trying to work out if the routing is any good or if I'll just use Apple Maps + CarPlay.

Did it play classic FM on DAB or on FM?

I note you have an MM21 system in a generation 2 NX so it would be interesting to know.   The original post refers to an MM19 system, which always defaults to FM rather than DAB.

Paul

5 hours ago, PDM said:

Did it play classic FM on DAB or on FM?

I note you have an MM21 system in a generation 2 NX so it would be interesting to know.   The original post refers to an MM19 system, which always defaults to FM rather than DAB.

Paul

Which is rubbish for me as I only use DAB

Can you get traffic news TP/TA to work on DAB?

Some cars/manufacturers allow FM traffic news to interrupt DAB radio when selected like it does when using USB but Lexus confirmed 4 years ago that our 2018 RX does not have the facility for FM traffic news to interrupt the radio when DAB is selected

Yes you are correct mine is Gen2 and simply saying “Hey Lexus play Classic FM” (although on DAB!!) seems to work well and stays on DAB to do so. No need to even press a button. I did find you need to match the exact station name e.g. “BBC Radio n” not just “Radio n”.

Some people won't have the opportunity to use anything but the abysmally poor Lexus system but if you have the facility to use Android Auto or apple Carplay, I strongly urge you to do so.

Music-wise, all I have to do is to say, "Play Planet Rock" or "Play Absolute Classic Rock" and it just does it, effortlessly and without fuss.

Navigation-wise, all I have to say is, "Open Waze". Once Waze is up and running, "M33 4XX" and Waze answers, "M33 4XX. Got it, let's go" and the route is planned with the map onscreen within seconds.

When there are alternatives, the frustration of trying to use the Lexus voice commands is more akin to self-flagellation :laughing:

On 5/26/2022 at 6:10 AM, Tel said:

Use Siri via the Steering Wheel Control.

Tel

Why?
all you have to do is say "hey Siri" totally hands free, no button pressing at all