Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Ingress

Lexiguy

I have a water ingress into the boot after the rubber seal was pulled off the flange lip under the rear window for a localised smart repair. 

It is getting around where the seal clips onto the flange. Can anyone give advice on curing this problem or recommend a sealant for it?

The photo shows exactly where.

20220422_153433.thumb.jpg.dfc09e6abe6a890479ffee8248d3c062.jpg

Manufacturers use a flexy non setting windscreen sealant.

I use sikaflex ebt (screwfix)in black after I have run a credit card wrapped with a cloth soaked in brake cleaner or white spirit around between glass and rubber.

silicon mastic neutral cure, alcohol not acetic also works ok.

23 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

I have a water ingress into the boot after the rubber seal was pulled off the flange lip under the rear window for a localised smart repair. 

It is getting around where the seal clips onto the flange. Can anyone give advice on curing this problem or recommend a sealant for it?

The photo shows exactly where.

20220422_153433.thumb.jpg.dfc09e6abe6a890479ffee8248d3c062.jpg

Anthony,

I used V-tech auto sealer when I had a leak on the seal at the front which the roof closes onto.

I know that seal is now stuck to the panel above the windscreen but it stopped water getting in.

V-Tech Auto Sealer Silicone Adhesive Sealant Flexible Durable VT-131 Black 75g

• Like 3

Hi Guys

Thanks for your imput, I decided upon a clear one and applied it yesterday evening.

After a good rain storm I will hopefully know the water ingress is cured!

I would include a pic of the product I used but once again it refuses to upload it for some strange reason! But why will it then accept a screenshot???

1622831459_Screenshot_20220523-202419_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.afb574998fe9675fe6852a1db385cc45.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys it didn't work!!

But..today I pulled it off again and found more debris right at the corner. When that was removed a drain hole could be felt right on the corner and it was now clear.

Removed all the old silicone and re siliconed it and taped it into the exact position it should be in.

I have now removed the tape and a water test indicated that the repair was effective!

Hurrah! 🥳

• Like 4