Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Seeking advice on my dilemma which Lexus to choose.

Budget is around £30k,  I'm a couple of years from retirement so this will be a long term car for me.  The running costs and servicing is not really a concern, as I guess they will be in the same ball park.

Driving is the usual round town stuff with the occasional 1-200 mile work trip plus 400 mile round trip to see the grandchildren once or twice a year.

It may be my perception but the NX sub forum seems to have owners with a few more niggles or minor issues with the car compared to the RX,.  I'd be graetful if any forum member could offer any advice particularly if the build,  ride experience and performance from  the bigger RX is the better choice compared to the slightly smaller, better fuel economy newer NX  I could get for my budget.  Other than leather , heated seats parking sensors and cruise I don't think I need the greater options some of the higer spec models bring.

Thanks in advance, of any advice,  a couple of contenders below:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202204104514572?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

https://www.steveneagell.co.uk/lexus/pre-owned/14503989-lexus-nx-300h 2.5 5dr cvt [premium pack]/?finances[payment]=581.32&finances[deposit]=1000&finances[productName]=Personal Contract Purchase&finances[term]=36&finances[productType]=Personal Contract Purchase&finances[annualMileage]=10000&finances[percentageDeposit]=

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Personally I'd go for the RX, never driven an NX so can't help with the comparison, plus I am biased being an RX owner.

You should also consider that the RX is a relatively large car, not everyone is comfortable with that eg parking etc so I'd suggest a test drive.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andrew , thanks  yes RX a big car , previously in an AudiA4 Avant so similar length / width,  live in rural Shropshire so it would only be the supermarket and various multi story car parks where size could be an issue,  deffinitely test drive will help in the decsion making.  Typically one  RX I have mind is in Wolverhampton, and a couple of NX's at Chester Lexus,   opposite directions !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As PCM said, test drive them both before a decision. Try and get an extended test drive  as you need to compare them in all situations. I've had my RX for 3 years and I love it, but it is big and you should consider trying for one with the panoramic cameras. I can't see where the front of mine is and without the rear camera I would never be able to park it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Like Andrew above, I've never owned or driven an NX and I'm obviously biased towards the RX being as I'm now on my third one, so you can guess what my recommendation will be :laughing:

The RX isn't really a big car and judging the length and width of the vehicle they're driving is a basic skill that all drivers should have anyway. That's not to pour scorn on any of the modern driving aids such as reversing cameras and such; they are of course useful and have their part to play. You'll very quickly get used to the size and you'll know where it will or won't go.

Believe it or not, the RX450h is only 18mm longer than a Ford Mondeo - that's less than three-quarters of an inch.

If you wanted to, sort of, 'calibrate' the reversing camera to yourself, simply place something on the road or driveway (a wheely bin, a plastic garden chair or even a traffic cone) and reverse towards it. As you get towards the red line just get out and have a look at the actual distance between the car and the object. When the red line onscreen 'touches' the object, get out and look again. Mine still has a gap of 15 inches at that point so if it's sticking out of the parking bay a bit at the front I know I still have a little leeway to play with.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, omegatt said:

Seeking advice on my dilemma which Lexus to choose.

Budget is around £30k,  I'm a couple of years from retirement so this will be a long term car for me.  The running costs and servicing is not really a concern, as I guess they will be in the same ball park.

Driving is the usual round town stuff with the occasional 1-200 mile work trip plus 400 mile round trip to see the grandchildren once or twice a year.

It may be my perception but the NX sub forum seems to have owners with a few more niggles or minor issues with the car compared to the RX,.  I'd be graetful if any forum member could offer any advice particularly if the build,  ride experience and performance from  the bigger RX is the better choice compared to the slightly smaller, better fuel economy newer NX  I could get for my budget.  Other than leather , heated seats parking sensors and cruise I don't think I need the greater options some of the higer spec models bring.

Thanks in advance, of any advice,  a couple of contenders below:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202204104514572?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

https://www.steveneagell.co.uk/lexus/pre-owned/14503989-lexus-nx-300h 2.5 5dr cvt [premium pack]/?finances[payment]=581.32&finances[deposit]=1000&finances[productName]=Personal Contract Purchase&finances[term]=36&finances[productType]=Personal Contract Purchase&finances[annualMileage]=10000&finances[percentageDeposit]=

 

 

may I please ask if you are considering cash buying or pcp?

at the moment there are some amazing PCP RX offers - as the model is about to change - that is very much worth exploring

 

vehicle wise, I think RX is the more desirable car - subject to  personal circumstances obvioulsy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

may I please ask if you are considering cash buying or pcp?

at the moment there are some amazing PCP RX offers - as the model is about to change - that is very much worth exploring

 

vehicle wise, I think RX is the more desirable car - subject to  personal circumstances obvioulsy.

 

Thanks,  was looking cash purchase but I'd be open to PCP,  I've leased for the last 8 years , but decided to  buy as the monthlies were almost £300 per month more thi stime around.  If you have any links to said deals  I'd be gratetful

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, omegatt said:

Thanks,  was looking cash purchase but I'd be open to PCP,  I've leased for the last 8 years , but decided to  buy as the monthlies were almost £300 per month more thi stime around.  If you have any links to said deals  I'd be gratetful

 

 

just carwow it!

I am allowed to say though that Bolotn Lexus gave me 13.2% discount last week  on an RX Takumi - lexus discount included ( they've  matched another dealership's carwow offer, that gave the same discount in every RX model / of notice, Lexus preston failed to match it although it gave a reasonable discount )

 

I have  asked the salesperson if I am allowed to tell others about the discount (having in mind the good people in this forum) and he said yes.

 

Please also note that RX has just 2.9% PCP rate, while NX has 4.9% and used cars have 9.9%

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, omegatt said:

It may be my perception but the NX sub forum seems to have owners with a few more niggles or minor issues with the car compared to the RX

by the way, have noticed that too.

 

One of the reasons I  am not waiting  for the next generation RX and would rather have the well tested one.

 

I expect the RX to be my last petrol fueled car, it better last for more than a decade!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, omegatt said:

Thanks

you are welcome.

 

I was also told ( not by Bolton Lexus, but from another dealership) that In July or August, Lexus will raise prices by 3%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

One of the reasons I  am not waiting  for the next generation RX and would rather have the well tested one.

Also the rumours are the new RX will only be available as a 4-pot, no silky smooth V6 option.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My car is the previous generation RX being one of the last 3 generation.  I find it suits me well and although I contemplated going to the 4th Generation, I find this unnecessarily large.  I have driven the sort of NX you would be looking at which is not as comfortable as the RX, has only a 4 cylinder engine but is more manoeuvrable and economical but made my RX feel a bit barge like. 

Last night I was looking at a road test of the new NX about to be unleashed and that was judged to be a great improvement over the model you are cosidering and there could be quite a wait for it. Also, it is likely it would be more than your budget. 

In your shoes, I would  test drive the models you listed but also the slightly smaller RX450h 3rd Generation.  If you can find a good one like I did, you would have a bit of spare cash for servicing etc.

Let us know what you go for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, talaipwros said:

 

 

Please also note that RX has just 2.9% PCP rate, while NX has 4.9% and used cars have 9.9%

Do you mean the brand new cars? Approved used RXs have never been 2.9%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I owned two NX between 2017 and 2021, covering about 30,000 miles. I switched to an RX in November simply because of the amazing deals available and tbh because I just fancied one.

At the time the PCP was 1.9%, with £2k deposit contribution, £1k loyalty bonus and then a five figure discount on top. Add to that the fact that my almost four year old NX had an unbelievably high trade in value and it was an easy decision to make.

Both are excellent cars. I loved the NX300h and had no issues at all. Economy 38-42mpg. Smooth, quiet, well made.

The RX has significantly more power, is even smoother and is a lovely place to waft around, especially on the motorway. Whether it’s the right choice for you will depend on the deal and the test drive of both. Economy so far with the same use and same driver is 30-32mpg. I can’t seem to get above that. Mpg figures for both are from the onboard computers.

In terms of size, I do find the RX a bit more limiting than the NX was. That’s mainly because of width rather than length. The RX is about 1.5 inches wider than the NX, and there’s a particular width restricted road I no longer use as it’s just too tight, and having already damaged an alloy wheel to it I’m not risking it again! If I still lived in a very rural area with single track lanes I had to use I don’t think I’d have gone to an RX.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck - and rest assured there isn’t really a bad choice here. As I said at the start, both are great cars.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, talaipwros said:

I expect the RX to be my last petrol fueled car, it better last for more than a decade!

Based on the build quality of my RX, I’d expect the only two things to survive a nuclear war will be the cockroaches and Lexus RXs! Whether the cockroaches will evolve to drive them we will have to wait and see…😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, talaipwros said:

you are welcome.

 

I was also told ( not by Bolton Lexus, but from another dealership) that In July or August, Lexus will raise prices by 3%

Been in touch they are working out a 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ignore above.

 

 

Thanks Ed  useful info particularly the width bit,  i have a few narrow lanes to get through so that may well influence things.  

I took Vasileios suggestion  about Lexus Bolton,  they have their ex showroom RX  available going to do some numbers on a PCP,  5 figure discount plus 2% ish  interest could be very interesting,  I could dump the remaining cash into my pension,  and pay  off the final payment in 3 years when I pack it all in with a bit of my lump sum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy to help!

I wonder if Admins should open a new subforum where all members can post active Lexus offers from dealerships?

Sounds like a win-win scenario, our little one carwow ( or Lexuswow? )

 

Admins?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our RX is 4.5 years old and we decided back in Jan to change it for a new NX.
I think the RX is a great car and only changing since the wife wanted something smaller (she is the main driver, I have a 2 seater “toy”), however I dug my heals in regarding the previous NX since I always thought that the engine sounded a little rough and I didn’t like the interior.

Now I am not saying that I am right, I just didn’t like the old NX. We all have opinions and choices, that’s why there’s such a selection of all sorts of cars out there so, as others have mentioned, you need to try both & see what best suits your requirements.

Also you will need to get used to the CVT box since for some reason it does seem to bother some folk (particularly journalists who, through lazy journalism, repeat what other ones have said rather than learning how to use the box for the best benefit & efficiency).

The 3.5 litre engine in the RX is very smooth & over the 4.5 years the Ave mpg has surprised us at 35.6mpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both the NX and RX are very good cars. My advice would be to go for the facelift model of both.  The NX facelift arrived at the end of 2017 (narrower grill slats and larger nav screen) and I think the RX in about 2019 to coincide with the launch of the larger RXL.

In both cases the ride is definitely smoother and more planted than the original and with better steering feel and less bouncy.  I think the RXL is more planted due to added size and weight.  However, in my view the facelift did not hugely improve the CVT electric/petrol transfer in the RX.  The NX is perfectly good enough with good performance and reasonable economy, all in a medium sized car.  Yes, the RX has the larger V6 but in my view this has always been somewhat compromised by the CVT shifts at low speed (electric to petrol) not being as smooth as on the GS or LS for some reason.  Do test drive both and check out the interior quality and other differences as mentioned here, good luck!     

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, SSUR said:

Yes, the RX has the larger V6 but in my view this has always been somewhat compromised by the CVT shifts at low speed (electric to petrol) not being as smooth as on the GS or LS for some reason. 

I don't know what you're feeling but the eCVT doesn't "shift" and I defy anyone to notice the change between Battery and petrol and vice versa. The changes can happen every couple of seconds in certain driving conditions, sometimes even less. Unless your eyes are glued to the energy monitor instead of the road, you'll never know when the changes occur. If you could tell in yours then maybe there was a fault somewhere.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership