Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Innocent or something more sinister?

So I‘m at the breakfast table at the crack of 0530 when I notice a strange electronic-type of noise.  I follow the noise to the window overlooking the street where my darling IS is parked outside the front door.  It is very hard to hear the noise over the birdsong but it is definitely electronic and stops at regular intervals for a few seconds and then starts up again etc, etc.

Somewhat baffled, I carry on with my routine of getting ready to leave for work.  About 15 minutes later I am at the front door and aware that a red vehicle is parked outside (opposite my own car and blocking the vehicular entrance to a block of flats, so obviously just waiting rather than parked).  As I open my front door the vehicle starts up and drives further into my estate (but only in order to turn round, so it’s not as if they were visiting anyone) and as this car passes me I notice that it is a Lexus IS300h and from the rear seemingly identical to my own car - except the plate is 63 rather than 70.  

I live in a cul de sac, this was 0545 in the morning and I cannot think of any innocent reasons why this person/persons would be outside looking at my car at this time of day - but maybe there are some?  I have since read up on keyless theft and am wondering if the noise I heard was anything to do with this or just some weird coincidence… 

Mucho gracie in anticipation of any ideas, thoughts,  advice etc. 

Marianne

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, D Johnson said:

I have since read up on keyless theft and am wondering if the noise I heard was anything to do with this or just some weird coincidence… 

Probably not, but do keep your keys in a Faraday cage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Probably not, but do keep your keys in a Faraday cage.

Agree.  The lightweight ones incorporating usually some aluminum foil like material tend to fall apart after a time.  I have my fobs in this well made German manufactured aluminium box (one box for each of my two  RX standard sized fobs) as only one fob can be accomodated in a box. Had them for several years now and paid more at the time.  This is a good price here but I think there may be a later more curved model avaiable now.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Shield-Premium-Keyless-Aluminium-Schwarz/dp/B077JCQFXQ 

Not sure if you got complete reg of other car but if so you could use free Gov/Dvla  info sheet and if suspicious have a quick word with local Police.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barry14UK said:

I have my fobs in this well made German manufactured aluminium box (one box for each of my two  RX standard sized fobs) as only one fob can be accomodated in a box.

If you only have one key in use you can turn off the smart function which will also save the Battery life.

• Thanks 1

Menus will look different on a 70 plate and path might be slightly different but you should still have the option to completely disable Smart Entry, unlike owners of other "premium" brands who can't and have to use a fetching big yellow steering lock and/or semi-reliable Faraday box or pouch: 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Maxz said:

Menus will look different on a 70 plate and path might be slightly different but you should still have the option to completely disable Smart Entry, unlike owners of other "premium" brands who can't and have to use a fetching big yellow steering lock and/or semi-reliable Faraday box or pouch: 

Thank you very much Maxz.  I have just now successfully disabled smart entry in the set up menu.  Am I correct in thinking I no longer need to think about buying a Faraday case/s?  

3 hours ago, Spock66 said:

If you only have one key in use you can turn off the smart function which will also save the battery life.

Even if you have a spare fob you can turn it off on both of them. Sadly though, this only works on the 4RX, not any earlier version.

1 hour ago, Maxz said:

Smart Entry does have its uses so if someone doesn't want to completely disable it, you can just turn off the key fob transmitter. On the 4RX you simply press down on the fob 'Lock' button whilst pressing the 'Unlock' button twice. The fob LED then flashes four times to show that the fob transmitter has been turned off. The system will be reset next time you use the car.

Personally, I think prevention is better than cure so I also use "a fetching big yellow steering lock" as a visual deterrent that will hopefully make the scrotes think that my car is too much hassle and will move straight on to an easier target.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, D Johnson said:

Thank you very much Maxz.  I have just now successfully disabled smart entry in the set up menu.  Am I correct in thinking I no longer need to think about buying a faraday case/s?  

Correct, because you have disabled at vehicle level rather then fob level. The vehicle is now set not to accept a smart entry signal, only key presses on the fob lock/unlock the doors and unlock the boot.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Maxz said:

Correct, because you have disabled at vehicle level rather then fob level. The vehicle is now set not to accept a smart entry signal, only key presses on the fob lock/unlock the doors and unlock the boot.

That means, one needs to always touch the car key to start button to start the car? 

21 minutes ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

That means, one needs to always touch the car key to start button to start the car? 

No, no need to do that. The only thing blocked is the entry, not the immobiliser.

• Thanks 1

Can I just apend to this topic of smart entry,  and ask a question? on my old IS250 I had smart entry but nobody could ever open the boot unless you did it manually from within the car or you were standing next to the boot. But on the IS300h anyone can open the boot as long as car is unlocked, anyway to to disable this?

On 5/22/2022 at 10:14 PM, Gaurav Bhandari said:

I disabled it and saw this message on the Screen. Will try it tomorrow.

On mine (2015 model) you have to hover the key over the Start button, wait for beep and then press. Might be different for newer models.

On 5/24/2022 at 7:22 AM, Moleman said:

Did it work?

10 hours ago, Maxz said:

On mine (2015 model) you have to hover the key over the Start button, wait for beep and then press. Might be different for newer models.

Apologies, that I did not understand earlier what @Herbie was saying. I read it again and now I understood.

There are multiple ways you can disable the Smart Entry (Listed at least the ones I know)

1. Use a Faraday pouch, does not disables the Smart Entry but does not allow your car key to emit any signals outside the pouch. When you want to use the smart car key features you take your car keys out of the pouch and everything works as usual.

2. Disable the Smart Entry/Start from the Car via Car Audio system (Menu-->Setup-->Vehicle Customisation-->Smart Entry/Start set to Off). This will disable the car Entry and even start functionality. What it means is that you will not be able to use the smart entry feature and also you will need to touch your car keys to the start button to start your car.

3. (What @Herbie suggested) Disable the car key transmitter: One can disable the car key transmitter (The car's transmitter is still on) by pressing the unlock button twice while pressing the lock button. This one worked for my Lexus and in this mode, you do not have to touch the start button with your key as the car detects the key. However, the only downside is that the system will reset when you use your car. So, one needs to follow the same steps every time they want to disable the car key transmitter.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 11:24 PM, agent_dess said:

Can I just apend to this topic of smart entry,  and ask a question? on my old IS250 I had smart entry but nobody could ever open the boot unless you did it manually from within the car or you were standing next to the boot. But on the IS300h anyone can open the boot as long as car is unlocked, anyway to to disable this?

There's a button in the glove box to disable boot unlocking. You can't open the boot if this button is activated.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2022 at 5:24 PM, D Johnson said:

So I‘m at the breakfast table at the crack of 0530 when I notice a strange electronic-type of noise.  I follow the noise to the window overlooking the street where my darling IS is parked outside the front door.  It is very hard to hear the noise over the birdsong but it is definitely electronic and stops at regular intervals for a few seconds and then starts up again etc, etc.

Somewhat baffled, I carry on with my routine of getting ready to leave for work.  About 15 minutes later I am at the front door and aware that a red vehicle is parked outside (opposite my own car and blocking the vehicular entrance to a block of flats, so obviously just waiting rather than parked).  As I open my front door the vehicle starts up and drives further into my estate (but only in order to turn round, so it’s not as if they were visiting anyone) and as this car passes me I notice that it is a Lexus IS300h and from the rear seemingly identical to my own car - except the plate is 63 rather than 70.  

I live in a cul de sac, this was 0545 in the morning and I cannot think of any innocent reasons why this person/persons would be outside looking at my car at this time of day - but maybe there are some?  I have since read up on keyless theft and am wondering if the noise I heard was anything to do with this or just some weird coincidence… 

Mucho gracie in anticipation of any ideas, thoughts,  advice etc. 

Marianne

If this happens in my area, it's generally a mini-cab driver waiting for an early morning pickup for the airport. It needs to be early for the first flight to Brussels (EU meeting), Eurostar to Paris (lunch with clients), train to Coventry (company sales conference). But the driver is five minutes early so they have to fill in time. It's an IS300h so when the car is stationary the engine is not running but the air conditioner repeatedly whirs and then stops (the electronic noise?) Bored, the driver notices a newer but almost identical car and is interested to see how it's different from his/hers and so gives it a closer look. Still filling in time, it would make sense to drive further into the estate and turn round to be ready to set off when the customer appears.

This is usually the explanation if there's only a driver in the front and the car is fairly luxurious. If there are two people in the front it's plain clothes police staking out the area. But they're in a Ford not a Lexus. If it's criminals, they're also not in a Lexus - more likely Mercedes or BMW with blackened windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thackeray said:

There's a button in the glove box to disable boot unlocking. You can't open the boot if this button is activated.

Yes i know that but that is a hassle, what i want is to be only able to open the boot only when key is in close proximity.  The button in the glove box means having to remember to do it every time.  I'll have a look at the user manual when i get time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 10:38 AM, Thackeray said:

If this happens in my area, it's generally a mini-cab driver waiting for an early morning pickup for the airport. It needs to be early for the first flight to Brussels (EU meeting), Eurostar to Paris (lunch with clients), train to Coventry (company sales conference). But the driver is five minutes early so they have to fill in time. It's an IS300h so when the car is stationary the engine is not running but the air conditioner repeatedly whirs and then stops (the electronic noise?) Bored, the driver notices a newer but almost identical car and is interested to see how it's different from his/hers and so gives it a closer look. Still filling in time, it would make sense to drive further into the estate and turn round to be ready to set off when the customer appears.

This is usually the explanation if there's only a driver in the front and the car is fairly luxurious. If there are two people in the front it's plain clothes police staking out the area. But they're in a Ford not a Lexus. If it's criminals, they're also not in a Lexus - more likely Mercedes or BMW with blackened windows.

Thanks William, some great points there, sorry not to reply earlier but I’ve only just noticed this.  The aircon whirring seems very convincing to me!    I guess it could’ve been a cab but there wasn’t any usual type private hire plate on the rear - pretty sure I would’ve noticed that.  Happy to say the car has not been stolen as yet!  Also, this has been the kick I needed to get my outdoor cctv up and running so if there is ever a next time I should be able to see exactly what is up.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:27 PM, Maxz said:

No different for 70 plate, it is necessary to hover key over start button.  When I initially deactivated the smart entry system I neglected to “save” the instruction and spent the first few days blissfully unaware that nothing had actually changed and hence no need to hover the key and no confirmatory beep!  As soon as I went back in and tried again and actually confirmed the setting, I had to hover the key and hear confirmatory beep to start the car.  I should add that my IS is a very basic model and so maybe not representative of all trims in this regard.