Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Better range for 300e?

2 hours ago, SleepyTiger said:

Quick update- I have cancelled my order, mainly because I don’t want to wait a whole year, also because I can get a better deal, though it won’t be a Lexus 😞

As long as it's not a VAG would you like to share your choice?

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

And that is exactly what scares me regarding electric vehicles. It reminds me of the computers in the nineties, 28mb/64/128 etc. Development is rapid at the moment and the range in 3 years time could well exceed the current miles by far. Toyota/Lexus securing 30% degradation max after 10 years sounds good but who just who would be interested in an EV in 10 years time with the current range?? Will they all be disposable like the good old desktops?? 

You only need the range to drive for a couple of hours on the motorway and the charge speed to top up in the time it takes to stop for a break (eg toilet, coffee). EVs have that already. (eg mine will do 4 hours+ / 250-300 miles on the motorway and recharge to 80% in 22 mins.) Degradation is low and already better than the earliest EVs. Things like reduction in weight and use of cheaper and easier to source materials are going to be more significant (eg Tesla's LFP Battery which doesn't use cobalt).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 8:08 PM, dutchie01 said:

who just who would be interested in an EV in 10 years time with the current range?? Will they all be disposable like the good old desktops?? 

We've just come back from a family holiday to France. We went there in our EV that was manufactured in 2016, along in convoy with friends who had just bought a brand new ID4 Pro. Not 10 years difference but half way there.

The ID4 had 15% more range than our older EV and charged faster to 90%, but the reality was there was pretty much zero difference in travel time....and our cost for using Tesla DC rapid chargers was free whilst the ID4 was costing around 18p per mile.

The range difference between the cars actually would be reversed if we had ordered the 'larger battery' version of our car.

Whilst in France we actually came across another RHD smaller Battery Model X, same year as ours, so it seems like 'older' EVs are getting plenty of usage.

We are off on a 3000 mile road trip to Norway in 5 weeks, why would we ever consider selling our EV when it gives access to 'free' fuel essentially forever??

Tesla recently offered to swap our 5 year old X for a brand new Y for zero net cost, but why would we do that? Yes the Y has more range, but the X already has more than enough range for out needs, and we will loss access to 'free' fuel, 'free' life time connectivity, and the Y simply is just dull compared to the drama our X.

Far from been disposable EVs have the potential to become the 'car for life', especially as Battery replacements are now becoming an option.

In the US, the Model S is already 10 years old, and for a price ($15k) Tesla will fit a brand new Battery into a 10 year old car that will give it MORE range than the yet to be released Lexus RZ!! - Infact this is exactly what am planning to do with our X when it hits 10 years old, interms of ownership time, already over half way there :).

52117210834_b9c9cfbd14_c_d.jpg

52116961691_c68389f1c9_c_d.jpg

52123636646_aee79477ab_c_d.jpg

In the UK and in some other countries, Governments are incentivising purchase of BEV with rapid uptake by buyers.  Whether, demand will outstrip supply to the same extent in the long term is unquantifiable, particularly with China intending to expand makes into Europe. For the present BEV's are selling at high prices, even used ones.

However, t will not be very long before Toyota and others are marketing solid state batteries with much quicker charging times and longer range.  It seems to me when this happens, it will cause a hefty fall in the value of presently equipped Battery models.

Although Toyota say solid state batteries will go in hybrids first, they are bound to respond if others introduce BEV's using this technology.                                      https://uk.motor1.com/news/559246/toyota-solidstate-battery-production-2025/

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, talaipwros said:

by the way, I think the Toyota offering with 317miles for the same price is a better option. It will be available at showrooms next month, you can book one for £99 - I have asked to see it as it will be very similar to the Lexus RZ

The new Toyota BZ4 x ( I think ) looks fab , with an interior better than most current Lexus cars. I’m keeping my eye on this car, apparently there will be a BZ 3 , and BZ 2 Ev . 

I believe the quoted 317miles is for the single engine version of the bZ4x.  

Unfortunately, it comes with those hideous black wheel arch extensions  which I suppose could be covered with a wrap.  As reviewers have said, these extensions have been 'toned back' on the RZ.

Check out my post dated 24th May in this thread. The Toyota configurator states the bZ4 range to be a combined WLTP of 270.92 miles. I believe the 317 mile range figure is either just marketing speak or it might refer to a future model.

1 hour ago, Roger Bill said:
Check out my post dated 24th May in this thread. The Toyota configurator states the bZ4 range to be a combined WLTP of 270.92 miles. I believe the 317 mile range figure is either just marketing speak or it might refer to a future model.

Marketing speak, cause that is what Toyota dealers say when you go and see the car in person, but real life range based on early reviews is less than 230 miles

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links