Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Uppgraded.

Alfalfa

• 2 weeks later...

There's only one true way to fi down out if a tyre is any good.  Buy it and get it fitted to your car. Drive your car as you normally would. Then after a thousand or so miles make a decision if the tyre (pair of tyres it should be) is any good or not.

I like those brake caliper covers. What are they and where from or did you paint them and get some decals?

13 hours ago, Alfalfa said:

What is wrong vith them, bad Brand?

Yes... Tyres are literally the only thing that hold you on the road and you have some most horrible tyres on sale. I mean yes they are "legal" but that is about it. And I am not brand snob, not saying you must get Michelin, but just "safe" tyres which any mid-range brand for £8 extra per tyre could do. It really horrifies me how many people in UK just fit cheapest tyres there is and call it a day, when the tyre is the most important safety feature on the car. As well if money is really an issue (which I find hard to believe taking overall cost of motoring), then little research goes long way - you can get Gislaved, Uniroyal (owned by Michelin) or you can get Fulda, Sava, Debica (owned by Goodyear)... which are "non-branded" but made to same high standards and are safe tyres. Certainly better than some chinese crap which is made without any standards and where patter is designed to look nice over being functional (I am not joking). By the way - there is nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturing, many big brands make tyres there and they are fine, problem is with Chinese design and safety standards... there is much more to making the tyre then just making nice looking mould and casting rubber in it... and this investment into research and development just isn't there in China. They pretty much buy premium tyre copy the outline of it, but construction and material scienience is simply not there. 

What I find strangest is that mid-range or even premium tyres don't even cost that much more. Say if Sailun is £56, then some mid-range brands like Avon are £65 and Premium tyres maybe £80 (talking about standard 225/45/17). Putting things in perspective that is the difference of £100 for set of tyres, which will last for 30k miles... and that is about as much as it costs to fill single tank of fuel for a week or two. Not to mention it is false economy, because premium tyre will last whole 30k miles providing predictable grip all along if properly inflated and cared for, whereas chinesium ones may only last 15k and be extremely unpredictable and dangerous even when part worn after 8k. In short over period of time "budget" tyres works out more expensive than premium tyres just because of how they wear. 

Other big issue with comparing premium and budget tyres is that most of them are compared when brand new, and they may look "just" 30% worse in wet stopping distance... I mean that just is a difference of say 8 metres, when you thing about stopping here 2 metres away from the back of that truck, or there 6 metres under that truck... I would not call that difference "just". But it gets worse - nobody compares worn tyres and chinesium tyres becomes very unpredictable when just part worn.

This is not tyre thread so I stop here, but as I said I am just surprised people who seems to care about cars often pay no attention to tyres... which is baffling. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

There's only one true way to fi down out if a tyre is any good.  Buy it and get it fitted to your car. Drive your car as you normally would. Then after a thousand or so miles make a decision if the tyre (pair of tyres it should be) is any good or not.

I like those brake caliper covers. What are they and where from or did you paint them and get some decals?

Seems like they are refurbished and painted/coated, not a cover. 

Some excellent points there Linas. I would however suggest most Lexus drivers drive sensibly and would probably not get into a situation where, let's say a braking distance where 2m could mean serious injury or not. I'm not familiar with tyre prices even though I bought 2 new Bridgestones for the rear of my is250 (oh they took 1k miles to bed in and stick like pooh to a blanket) but I wonder the premium tyres are near 60% more expensive than budget ones. Anyway this isn't a tyre thread lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I got them painted by a professional car painter store and bought  decals on eBay.

the tires was on the car when i bought  the. car and i believe they are good enough for my driving skills, i admit that i could have bought new springs and shocks same as original but i can live with my choice,  the car is a kind of a hobby and only in use in the snow freetime of the year, have a yaris 1.8 for the all year use.  

C061851A-D764-42FD-BBDB-47306C1360C9.jpeg

941B8F4F-D0BE-4B31-A61E-380477B6DD61.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yes... Tyres are literally the only thing that hold you on the road and you have some most horrible tyres on sale. I mean yes they are "legal" but that is about it. And I am not brand snob, not saying you must get Michelin, but just "safe" tyres which any mid-range brand for £8 extra per tyre could do. It really horrifies me how many people in UK just fit cheapest tyres there is and call it a day, when the tyre is the most important safety feature on the car. As well if money is really an issue (which I find hard to believe taking overall cost of motoring), then little research goes long way - you can get Gislaved, Uniroyal (owned by Michelin) or you can get Fulda, Sava, Debica (owned by Goodyear)... which are "non-branded" but made to same high standards and are safe tyres. Certainly better than some chinese crap which is made without any standards and where patter is designed to look nice over being functional (I am not joking). By the way - there is nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturing, many big brands make tyres there and they are fine, problem is with Chinese design and safety standards... there is much more to making the tyre then just making nice looking mould and casting rubber in it... and this investment into research and development just isn't there in China. They pretty much buy premium tyre copy the outline of it, but construction and material scienience is simply not there. 

What I find strangest is that mid-range or even premium tyres don't even cost that much more. Say if Sailun is £56, then some mid-range brands like Avon are £65 and Premium tyres maybe £80 (talking about standard 225/45/17). Putting things in perspective that is the difference of £100 for set of tyres, which will last for 30k miles... and that is about as much as it costs to fill single tank of fuel for a week or two. Not to mention it is false economy, because premium tyre will last whole 30k miles providing predictable grip all along if properly inflated and cared for, whereas chinesium ones may only last 15k and be extremely unpredictable and dangerous even when part worn after 8k. In short over period of time "budget" tyres works out more expensive than premium tyres just because of how they wear. 

Other big issue with comparing premium and budget tyres is that most of them are compared when brand new, and they may look "just" 30% worse in wet stopping distance... I mean that just is a difference of say 8 metres, when you thing about stopping here 2 metres away from the back of that truck, or there 6 metres under that truck... I would not call that difference "just". But it gets worse - nobody compares worn tyres and chinesium tyres becomes very unpredictable when just part worn.

This is not tyre thread so I stop here, but as I said I am just surprised people who seems to care about cars often pay no attention to tyres... which is baffling. 

I did’nt know that this tyres are very cheap and bad, idid’nt  buy  them myself, included when i bought the car, i will remember your advice when i have to replace them, in Norway the top speed limit is 110 km and normal road 80 km so i dont think i am in great danger out there, beside i am a cruiser not a speeder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Some excellent points there Linas. I would however suggest most Lexus drivers drive sensibly and would probably not get into a situation where, let's say a braking distance where 2m could mean serious injury or not. I'm not familiar with tyre prices even though I bought 2 new Bridgestones for the rear of my is250 (oh they took 1k miles to bed in and stick like pooh to a blanket) but I wonder the premium tyres are near 60% more expensive than budget ones. Anyway this isn't a tyre thread lol.

It is a thread about whatever is being written in it. Yes tyres are what connect you to the road. Different driving styles demand different tyres.  On all cars up to the Lexus we have had Continental. Next tyres will probably be Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 - 67db low noise - good for summer, which we have all year.

But red calipers look great as do ventilated brake discs. Adjustable shock absorbers. Long time since I had such.

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Moose don't care how your drive. I been in quite few dangerous situations and I would ay 90% of them was unpredictable and not related to how I was driving, somebody just jumped in front of me and I was very happy that I had tyres which I had at the time.

2 hours ago, Alfalfa said:

I did’nt know that this tyres are very cheap and bad, idid’nt  buy  them myself, included when i bought the car, i will remember your advice when i have to replace them, in Norway the top speed limit is 110 km and normal road 80 km so i dont think i am in great danger out there, beside i am a cruiser not a speeder.

Fair enough. But as per my point above, sometimes the way you drive has nothing to do with the situation and you wouldn't want to find out there is no grip in tyres in emergency. 

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

You just can’t beat a nice set of Chinese Mitchelun low grip any direction 225/45/17 96Y ..................for drifting 😀

Make a 250 slide like a 350.😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, Alfalfa said:

Make a 250 slide like a 350.😃

any tyre will slide with 70PSI in it! That's how I drift my 250 😅

• Haha 1