Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Listening To Loud Music Reduces Reaction Time..

Fidgits

Listening to loud music while driving can seriously hamper reaction times and cause accidents, new research suggests.

A Canadian study found people took up to 20% longer to perform physical and mental tasks to loud music.

Full story here

And its worth reading just for the 'Radio 1 producer quote at the end' :lol:

Depends on what they mean by loud?? ;) window breaking house vibrating drum and bass probably doesnt do you any good anyway but loud enough to drown everything out is ok.Remember its a classy car we dont want to sound like Fiesta RS turbo drivers do we?? :zee: :D

I bet fines will start to be issued soon if we are caught with loud music :angry:

Another way of stinging the motorist

...are you reading this Raz and Mitch :lol:

:lol: havent even read the article yet, how did know our names where going to be mentioned :whistling:

Subs are still a good idea :P

Depends on what they mean by loud?? ;)  window breaking house vibrating drum and bass probably doesnt do you any good anyway but loud enough to drown everything out is ok.Remember its a classy car we dont want to sound like Fiesta RS turbo drivers do we?? :zee:  :D

If you read the article it states what it defines as loud...

In the Canadian study volunteers carried out tasks while listening to levels of noise varying from 53 decibels (equivalent to an office environment) to 95 decibels (equivalent to an oil rig).

Researchers found reactions to be significantly decreased at higher noise levels for both physical and mental work.

At 95 decibels reaction times to tasks that involve decision making plummeted by 20%.

But this is my favorate quote..

Radio 1's Will Kinder said: "Here at the Chris Moyles show our listeners' safety and wellbeing are second only to ratings; more accidents means fewer listeners.

"We suggest that if drivers feel they are at risk from a lack of concentration due to loud, pounding music, they walk instead.

"Not only will this ensure their safety but also give them valuable exercise."

What kinda music is written at 60bpm???

I've been listening to 160-180bpm music (drum and bass) for about 9 years. And the last 2 years, nothing but reggae (70-110bpm),

sounds like another attack on the 'repetative beat' culture....

hmm i wonder if the police with there sirens blasting out answering a distress call are 20% more likely to have an accident.

i also wonder what db level an open window or two makes at 70mph..

I do seem to drive quicker if the music is loud but can't see how it slows reaction times down ,but in my opinion some cars are a bit over the top with the music especialy in residential areas ,perhaps it is an excuse to combat this noise

You can get fined for playing your music to loud already, noise polution act, my dad did about 2 years ago when he argued with a policeman, that his stereo wasnt that loud, so the policeman called out the council to measure it. he got a £30 fine.

Anyway dont your reaction times get slower the older you get ? therefore even with my stereo up Im going to react quicker than my 40 year old ?

P.S Im not calling you 40 year olds , old , just older than me.

Anyway dont your reaction times get slower the older you get ? therefore even with my stereo up Im going to react quicker than my 40 year old ?

P.S Im not calling you 40 year olds , old , just older than me.

I answered this the minute I realised what it said.

I bet fines will start to be issued soon if we are caught with loud music :angry:

Another way of stinging the motorist

...are you reading this Raz and Mitch :lol:

yeah thought someone mite have to mention my name haha.

i say **** em, u can get done for loud music late nite early mornings but never stopped me and police only give u a tickin off so they can kiss my bass!!

in miami (think its miami) if a officer can hear your music from think its 100yds away you get on spot fine!!

a quote in The Sun :

"PLAYING the Sugababes on car stereos helps drivers to steer clear of accidents, scientists said yesterday.

The soothing sounds made by the three honey-voiced girls keep motorists relaxed and alert. "

Come let's be realistic :P would you want to listen to that?