Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus GSF standard exhaust valve?

Does the standard GSF exhaust have a set of valves, that are opened for the first 10-20 seconds on a cold start, which accounts for the extra noise? 
I understand that the LC500 has such a system but wondered if this was the same in the GSF. 

2 hours ago, F.A. said:

Does the standard GSF exhaust have a set of valves, that are opened for the first 10-20 seconds on a cold start, which accounts for the extra noise? 
I understand that the LC500 has such a system but wondered if this was the same in the GSF. 

No, it's only the LC500 that has the dual-stage exhaust. The GS F (and RC F) don't have this.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:15 AM, ColinBarber said:

I think the extra noise is just a combination of higher engine rpm, cold start mixture and a cold exhaust. I had an MR2 Turbo many years ago that was particularly throaty on cold startup.

See I'm not convinced. The second I put it in drive it goes quiet. Can be after 5 seconds or 20.

13 hours ago, ben_harmer32 said:

See I'm not convinced. The second I put it in drive it goes quiet. Can be after 5 seconds or 20.

What are you suggesting then? Pretty sure no RCF or GSF has factory exhaust valves.

4 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

What are you suggesting then? Pretty sure no RCF or GSF has factory exhaust valves.

Not suggesting they do, just find it odd it goes silent the second it goes into drive. Almost like someone flicking a switch 🙂

3 minutes ago, ben_harmer32 said:

Not suggesting they do, just find it odd it goes silent the second it goes into drive. Almost like someone flicking a switch 🙂

My experience with a cold start is the louder throaty idle at first, then after 5-10 seconds it settles to a lower rpm and is quieter. I haven't noticed a change when going into drive, but I'm usually shifting into drive after the revs have dropped down anyway.

17 hours ago, ben_harmer32 said:

its the variable valve timing, it will run a massive amount of overlap on startup for Cat preheat

• Like 5