Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 hour ago, agent_dess said:

E10 winner will surprise you 😀

No surprise at all.

I live within a mile of Asda and have always used their fuel without any problems whatsoever, which is why I always laugh at the people who say things like "Supermarket fuel is rubbish" or "I never use anything except the Ultra V-Power from Esso" or similar silly things :laughing:

Is this not a bit objective dependent on which refinery the fuels came from?

Anyway, I didn't know Texaco were even still around. I don't think they have any filling stations left in Scotland.

Texaco is very rare if any in Scotland, certainly none near where I live.  So am I correct in assuming that if we take Asda as an example then E10 is really just E5 rebranded as the ethanol contents on E10 is really low? Weirdly I got Asda E10 for the 1st time earlier this week as j was running late for airport and guess what I got better MPG 🤔 

• Like 2

I did an experiment last week driving from Leeds to Brighton in my IS 300H. Tank was almost empty at the start (50 miles remaining) - filled full with Sainsburys E10 and the max range showed as 530 miles. I'm not sure what % ethanol they put in their E10 up north. I used exactly half a tank on the drive (distance covered was approx. 270 miles). Ran down the tank again before returning home and filled full with E5 from Esso - on the south coast their E5 has 0% ethanol. Max range showed as 585 miles and used 2/5 of a tank returning home, so fuel economy was a lot better as expected.

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Max Range must surely be based on the previous mpg?

I'm not sure how it's calculated with Lexus? On my previous BMW a technician told me it was calculated by a sensor in the engine analysing the current fuel-oxygen ratio being used.

12 minutes ago, hdp00 said:

I'm not sure how it's calculated with Lexus? On my previous BMW a technician told me it was calculated by a sensor in the engine analysing the current fuel-oxygen ratio being used.

Doesn't really matter. The point is, if you thrash the car for a couple of hundred miles then the projected range on what fuel is left may only be 100 miles. However, if you start to drive like Miss Daisy then that projected range will go up to, say 150 miles on what's left.*

The projected range can only ever be worked out by how the car has been driven in the past.

My sister in law and her husband are a perfect example of this. They have an electric car (can't remember what it is) that has 'key profiles'. When June gets in the car with her own key the car welcomes her and says something like, "Hello June. You have 130 miles range left before charging." However, when Nige gets in with his key it's, "Hello Nige, you have 80 miles range before charging." This is because he drives it a lot harder than she does :laughing:

*All figures just made up to illustrate the point and are not accurate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When E10 came out I found no difference to the old E5 in my IS 300h - in fact in some circumstances it seemed to give better mpg. I do around 15k miles per annum and virtually all my fuel comes from a local Sainsbury's so I have a decent base for making comparisons. Over time I have noticed the mpg falling using the new E10 compared to previous years with the old E5 on the same journeys and conditions - maybe the full E10 ethanol percentage starting to be come through...? A couple of months ago I went to get E10 from Sainsbury’s but it had run out so had to get super unleaded. I filled the tank (I was on virtually zero miles left at the time!). I was surprised to see a noticeable jump in mpg. Now, Sainsbury's super unleaded is only around 6p more per litre than their regular E10. I have now done a few more tankfuls with Sainsbury's super unleaded and the mpg is back to or exceeding what I used to get with the old regular E5. I am now seeing around 10% better fuel economy than the new E10 (and that's taking as much of the journey and weather variances into account as I can). Given that the Sainsbury's super unleaded is less than 5% more expensive than their E10 this is at worst breakeven and at best I'm saving using super unleaded. I know many of the branded fuels charge a lot more for super unleaded compared to E10 so the same would not necessarily apply but I've now switched to the Sainsbury's super unleaded permanently. In addition the car is definately a bit quieter and smoother on super unleaded though whether performance is any better I can't say - in general due to the high fuel costs I'm more in an eco mind set at the moment... 

• Like 2

Does anyone remember Cleveland Discol with added alcohol  ( 10% ? )  for cooler running and better performance - so they said. Even dragsters used ethanol based fuels they said.

All those years ago people (of the "informed" variety) were warning against it for various reasons. Don't ask which ones because I don't know.

BTW I just checked my 200t abysmal fuel consumption. The computer says a measly 28.5mpg on mixed, mostly urban use. I did a manual check and confirmed 26.5. Not very good when the IsF on similar journeys gets 23.5. However, on short runs the IsF drops dramatically to below 20.

I always use Vpower as I used to work for Shell and I know the extent to which they "doctored" the fuel in order to keep the engine clean and efficient. The 200t seems to benefit and run quieter and quicker than when I bought it. 

1961 Cleveland Discol Alcohol Super Discol Petrol Original Magazine Advert 27428

The Hypocrisy of Big Oil and API

• Haha 1

Just now, GMB said:

Does anyone remember Cleveland Discol with added alcohol  ( 10% ? )  for cooler running and better performance - so they said. Even dragsters used ethanol based fuels they said.

All those years ago people (of the "informed" variety) were warning against it for various reasons. Don't ask which ones because I don't know.

BTW I just checked my 200t abysmal fuel consumption. The computer says a measly 28.5mpg on mixed, mostly urban use. I did a manual check and confirmed 26.5. Not very good when the IsF on similar journeys gets 23.5. However, on short runs the IsF drops dramatically to below 20.

I always use Vpower as I used to work for Shell and I know the extent to which they "doctored" the fuel in order to keep the engine clean and efficient. The 200t seems to benefit and run quieter and quicker than when I bought it. 

1961 Cleveland Discol Alcohol Super Discol Petrol Original Magazine Advert 27428

The Hypocrisy of Big Oil and API

BTW 1/5 per gallon. That's about tuppence a litre

I haven't got much new information to add, just to report on that the engine feels to be running smoother on Esso's ethanol-free premium fuel - I noticed it when the engine cuts in and out while stationary, feels smoother, less of a twitch/shake to the chassis. 

I might be imagining as a result of mental distress after paying north of ÂŁ1.8 for a litre...

• Like 1