Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Average Fuel Consumption

Hi all, been driving in normal mode since I got the car and average MPG gradually been rising, its now at 50.4. Let’s have a competition and see who has the best figure, supported by a picture of course!

image.thumb.jpeg.f98316724e7541d8f19ed87186ecf31e.jpeg

Sort of related question. Is it better to coast or lightly brake coming up to lights or a junction to recharge the batteries?

I'm getting 47ish in the Summer but then it is lots of short journeys

With experience gained with my Niro, the lexus I assume uses a form of KERS so on overun the electric motor is turned into a generator, braking increases this regeneration as you can see if there is a gauge on the Lexus similar to the Niro.

However remember that braking creates a lot of heat, a form of energy that is lost into the atmosphere so not so efficient as just coasting, not always possible of course as traffic conditions sometimes dictates the need for braking. So coast where you can is the rule as well as eco driving techniques like any other car, no lead foot on accelerator or brakes.

Bill D.

Agreed, coasting is better.

I'm not so sure using adaptive cruise control is more fuel efficient as it seems to accelerate and brake more harshly than I do.

• Thanks 1

I should also add for accuracy that coasting will also produce heat from mechanical friction and electrical energy but coasting most efficient I would have thought (i'm a mechanical engineer not electrical I hasten to add)

Bill D.

These mpg figures are terrible for a UX . I had one for the day and was getting well over 60 mpg . My 64 plate IS 300 h was always well over 50 mpg and my current big heavy NX 300  h I average 42 mpg . Are any of you UX owners actually trying to get better mpg ? 

On 6/9/2022 at 11:11 PM, Gorb said:

Agreed, coasting is better.

I'm not so sure using adaptive cruise control is more fuel efficient as it seems to accelerate and brake more harshly than I do.

Cruise control is only better with no other cars on the road.

When a car drive in front of you, your car will brake automatic and then need more fuel to get back to the speed it was before.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:09 PM, Bill Dawes said:

With experience gained with my Niro, the lexus I assume uses a form of KERS so on overun the electric motor is turned into a generator, braking increases this regeneration as you can see if there is a gauge on the Lexus similar to the Niro.

However remember that braking creates a lot of heat, a form of energy that is lost into the atmosphere so not so efficient as just coasting, not always possible of course as traffic conditions sometimes dictates the need for braking. So coast where you can is the rule as well as eco driving techniques like any other car, no lead foot on accelerator or brakes.

Bill D.

Actually the UX has two electric engines: one electric engine for traction and an electric motogenerator for recharging the batteries during coasting and braking.

39 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Cruise control is only better with no other cars on the road.

When a car drive in front of you, your car will brake automatic and then need more fuel to get back to the speed it was before.

With adaptive cruise control, if a car in front slows down or is slower i adjust the cruise speed by decreasing by 5 step intervals down to about ten units faster than the car in front, when the car gets out of the way or i overtake it i then increase the cruise speed by 5 step intervals up to my desired speed. This way i avoid the sudden acceleration, and don't waste extra fuel.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links