Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyway to reattach front bumper?

Hey. So the passenger side of my front bumper has come away from the car. I've noticed the small plastic tabs that clip in to the block behind it have snapped. It looks like someone applied double-sided foam previously but since deteriorated. I've just tried to apply new foam, superglue, cable ties but i'm unable to pull the bumper tight to the car but no matter what i do i can't get the bumper to sit flush.  

I've looked at these stick on bumper clips but i'd rather not have these stuck to the outside of the car. Does anyone know of a way to attach the bumper to the plastic mounting block behind it?  

This is the mounting behind the bumper where the small tabs on the actual bumper (Snapped off) would slide in to and slip in place.

The bumper is actually held in place by two bolts (one on each side) which screws into square nut at the corner of wheel arch. The plastic bracket supports bumper just a little assuming you still have clips for that bracket on the bumper itself. At least in my case the clips and the bracket was barely holding the bumper in place and only once it is screwed in at he back it finally held properly. Although my bumper is all mangled, so not sure if it works better with the bumper which is in good shape.

• Like 1

I suggest you look on YouTube and search replacing headlight on is250. They take the front bumper off and some vids are clear what screws and clips are used and where. From what I remember there are 3 bolts and 3 clips on each side aswell as the pop clips on top and screws on the bottom. I don't recognise that piece you've posted. I partiality removed the upper part of the bumper to replace a headlight on mine a few months back. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look on Youtube and see what i'm missing. I've not fully removed the bumper so unsure if anything else is missing. I did notice a bolt is missing from that bracket i linked. It sits behind the tabs and looks like the plastic slides in and clips in place.  

The nut that holds the bumper on to the arch that you mentioned Linus i have but the tab has broke. I'm going to plastic weld new stuff on tomorrow to try and sort that out. My main concern is where the bumper curves in by the headlight, mine sticks out unless i push hard against it. I'm going to fully remove the bumper tomorrow and see exactly whats behind it and what needs fixing.  

I hate being a perfectionist. I'm constantly trying to make every last detail perfect and it gets me down after a hard day and i'm looking at yet another blemish. I'll get there eventually tho.

Where the bumper curves in bybthe headlight is more dictated by the screws at the top. It's likely one or more tabs are broken. Great if you can plastic weld, once you take the bumper off you'll be able to repair broken tabs etc.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:18 AM, Mr Vlad said:

Where the bumper curves in bybthe headlight is more dictated by the screws at the top. It's likely one or more tabs are broken. Great if you can plastic weld, once you take the bumper off you'll be able to repair broken tabs etc.

I had a bit of a look today and it seems the entire strip of plastic that moulds the bumper and tabs has snapped where it joins the bumper. It's not going to be an easy fix but with some clever soldering iron and possible metal pressed in from under the tabs i should be able to reinforce it a little.  

It looks as if those tabs push in to a clip. There's some plastic with little ridges that look like it's supposed to hook on. I'll see if i can position the bumper and use some screws to hold it together a little better. It's just annoying when you do a bunch of work and something else jumps out at you shouting "It's not perfect yet"  

And now today i've just noticed the chrome in the corner of the window has split and come off. I have a nice yellow corner right by the wingmirror. Unsure how to fix but i did see a BMW today with very similar window layout which had a full black trim which i think the Lexus could pull off nicely so might end up being an easy fix.