Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sales events

Hi

Has anyone experience of a "sales event"?

I am of the impression that Lexus offers rebates to the dealership in order to push out a few extra cars.

Is it worth attending if I am in the market for a new car or is it just a way to get people through the door but at no incentive to the customer?

23 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

Hi

I am of the impression that Lexus offers rebates to the dealership in order to push out a few extra cars.

Is it worth attending if I am in the market for a new car or is it just a way to get people through the door but at no incentive to the customer?

I guess the question of, "is it worth attending?" depends on what's on offer and its value to you. I attended a sales event that persuaded me to buy a Lexus rather than the Toyota I had just ordered. The incentives were the Lexus EV home charger offer (not special to the sales event but a key factor nonetheless), a discount on the price and a ceramic paint coating. The dealership was also a superior experience to that of other manufacturers that I have experienced. Since the dealership is more than 150 miles away, I would not have bought the Lexus if I had not been invited to, and attended, the sales event.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

I guess the question of, "is it worth attending?" depends on what's on offer and its value to you. I attended a sales event that persuaded me to buy a Lexus rather than the Toyota I had just ordered. The incentives were the Lexus EV home charger offer (not special to the sales event but a key factor nonetheless), a discount on the price and a ceramic paint coating. The dealership was also a superior experience to that of other manufacturers that I have experienced. Since the dealership is more than 150 miles away, I would not have bought the Lexus if I had not been invited to, and attended, the sales event.

EV charger and discount?

Are you talking about the RZ?

1 hour ago, Sybaris said:

Hi

It’s always been my impression that Lexus is one of the marques that is not particularly forthcoming with discounts in the normal turn of events.  In fact, they’re generally restricted to these Events!

So if you’re in the market for a new Lexus, then what would be the benefit of NOT going?  

Of course it’s all about getting people through the door - that’s their business!   But satisfied customers are also good for business.  And in the end, you are free NOT to buy a new Lexus.

The only point I’d make is not to bother with them applying a free ceramic finish.  They’re not going to do it properly and it won’t last.   A better idea with a brand new Lexus is to get it delivered to you untouched and take it round to a competent Detailer for a professional application - possibly even stretching to a wrap of the front.

As a ‘valued customer’ apparently, I get regular invitations to sales events and special discounts.  And I would certainly go - were it not for the fact that there’s nothing in the Lexus range that suits me better than the Lexus I have.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, LenT said:

It’s always been my impression that Lexus is one of the marques that is not particularly forthcoming with discounts in the normal turn of events.  In fact, they’re generally restricted to these Events!

So if you’re in the market for a new Lexus, then what would be the benefit of NOT going?  

Of course it’s all about getting people through the door - that’s their business!   But satisfied customers are also good for business.  And in the end, you are free NOT to buy a new Lexus.

The only point I’d make is not to bother with them applying a free ceramic finish.  They’re not going to do it properly and it won’t last.   A better idea with a brand new Lexus is to get it delivered to you untouched and take it round to a competent Detailer for a professional application - possibly even stretching to a wrap of the front.

As a ‘valued customer’ apparently, I get regular invitations to sales events and special discounts.  And I would certainly go - were it not for the fact that there’s nothing in the Lexus range that suits me better than the Lexus I have.

Things have changed since Covid.
The Lexus dealer near me, £8k off without too much negotiating, the ceramic coat and paint protection were dealer arranged, but a third party carries out the work, warranties it for 5 years and 5 years wheel scuff and paint scratch insurance all part of the deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Ditto Len

• Like 2

2 hours ago, talaipwros said:

EV charger and discount?

Are you talking about the RZ?

Not the RZ. When I ordered in February, Lexus were offering NX450h+ customers the free installation of an Alfen home EV charge point through British Gas. This offer was worth roughly £1,000. And, yes, at that time there was small price reduction, plus the ceramic paint coating (not sure of the true value of that).

Incidentally, I noticed that Lexus are no longer guaranteeing the price of some models. The website (for the UX) says orders today will likely be built to the 2023 model spec and the price won't be fixed until the car goes into build. Customers will have the choice at that point to cancel the order or pay the price relevant to the spec being built.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

Things have changed since Covid.
The Lexus dealer near me, £8k off without too much negotiating, the ceramic coat and paint protection were dealer arranged, but a third party carries out the work, warranties it for 5 years and 5 years wheel scuff and paint scratch insurance all part of the deal.

Well I’m delighted for you that you were able to get a worthwhile discount off Lexus.  As you say, attitudes may have changed since Covid.

However, I take it that the third party paint detailing that the Dealer arranged was also ‘no charge’ to you.  The outfit that did my car spent four days on it.  I would be very impressed if a Dealer was prepared to fund a customer incentive freebie to that extent.

• Like 1

Well I am in 2 minds

On one hand I really like my Lexus, not many miles either on the clock but its showing its age now.  On the other hand it would be nice to have something newer with more bells and whistles.

I guess I am in the position where the dealer has to sell me a car rather than me buying the car and I can be a tough customer.  I once spent 8 hours negotiating until in the end the manager gave me what I wanted so he could close for the night.

If like someone said, they got an £8K discount, then I would be more inclined to go for a deal.  I don't believe in messing the sales people about but I do drive a hard bargain and time is one of my bargaining chips.  Having said that, if I am not taken by an offer on the table, then I will walk.

Maybe I was after some insight as to the motives and thought behind these events.  Is it prompted by the manufacturer to boost sales and interest, which is why I am hoping for a good deal, or if its just dealership marketing.

Tell you what, I will go and see whats what and will let you know how it goes.

@Sybaris keep in mind that discounts and deals will be model specific and some will be dependent on taking out PCP finance, although that shouldn’t be a concern because everyone has the right to cancel finance after 1 month for zero penalty.

• Like 2

Last September I was offered £8k off the old model NX without me asking.

I test drove it and ended up buying the new NX 350h Takumi at MSRP, unseen and not test driven. Very happy with my decision.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Well I am in 2 minds

On one hand I really like my Lexus, not many miles either on the clock but its showing its age now.  On the other hand it would be nice to have something newer with more bells and whistles.

I guess I am in the position where the dealer has to sell me a car rather than me buying the car and I can be a tough customer.  I once spent 8 hours negotiating until in the end the manager gave me what I wanted so he could close for the night.

If like someone said, they got an £8K discount, then I would be more inclined to go for a deal.  I don't believe in messing the sales people about but I do drive a hard bargain and time is one of my bargaining chips.  Having said that, if I am not taken by an offer on the table, then I will walk.

Maybe I was after some insight as to the motives and thought behind these events.  Is it prompted by the manufacturer to boost sales and interest, which is why I am hoping for a good deal, or if its just dealership marketing.

Tell you what, I will go and see whats what and will let you know how it goes.

Well if it’s of any interest Dan, I’ve just been invited to a Manager’s Event this Friday at Lexus Milton Keynes.

I’m not interested, but if you are….here are the details:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/centres/milton-keynes/latest-news/exclusive-managers-event

Be interesting to know what you think.

• Like 1

Get similar invitations too Lexus VIP events about every 6 months. Have never attended as they haven't coincided with a time when I was in the market to change but I do believe that there is additional financial support from the manufacturer so that may be attractive on specific models.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 11:40 AM, Herbie said:

IGNORE THE QUOTE - POSTED IN ERROR - CANT SEEM TO DELETE IT

I am interested in the NX 350h too.  Mind if I ask, is the UK version a 2.5 turbo ? 

9 hours ago, LenT said:

Well I’m delighted for you that you were able to get a worthwhile discount off Lexus.  As you say, attitudes may have changed since Covid.

However, I take it that the third party paint detailing that the Dealer arranged was also ‘no charge’ to you.  The outfit that did my car spent four days on it.  I would be very impressed if a Dealer was prepared to fund a customer incentive freebie to that extent.

I have no idea how long the process took, but it was no cost to me, and a 5 year guarantee, I think it was an incentive from Lexus UK (though times needing sales) rather than the dealer, as the salesman told me to contact him at 4.5 years and he'll arrange a free re-coat adding another 5 years protection and guarantee. In line with the 10 year warranty on the vehicle, as long as that dealer does the servicing. 

Which, I'm agreeable with as I keep my cars until scrap anyway, and the dealer is almost next door. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

I have no idea how long the process took, but it was no cost to me, and a 5 year guarantee, I think it was an incentive from Lexus UK (though times needing sales) rather than the dealer, as the salesman told me to contact him at 4.5 years and he'll arrange a free re-coat adding another 5 years protection and guarantee. In line with the 10 year warranty on the vehicle, as long as that dealer does the servicing. 

Which, I'm agreeable with as I keep my cars until scrap anyway, and the dealer is almost next door. 

Well I’m surprised - and also impressed.  Sounds like a very good deal and a very good dealer. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sybaris said:

I am interested in the NX 350h too.  Mind if I ask, is the UK version a 2.5 turbo ? 

The UK NX 350h hybrid  has a 2.5 litre petrol engine but not turbo charged. 

The sales events are rubbish. Its just to get people into the showroom and push sales for the end of the quarter

Most of the time you can get the same discounts or better on a different day. 

Well yes, thats what I thought about these events, its to drive sales, but I had hoped that Lexus UK may be offering the dealer a rebate if they sell during this period, which in turn gets passed on as a discount.  I guess its all down to who keeps control of the negotiating and knowing when to walk away if its not what you are prepared to do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rayaans said:

The sales events are rubbish. Its just to get people into the showroom and push sales for the end of the quarter

Most of the time you can get the same discounts or better on a different day. 

I may have this entirely wrong, but I find this a rather surprising assertion.  I thought it was well established that Dealers have regular incentivised sales targets which are financially beneficial to them if achieved.  

Which is why it pays them to take less profit on an individual sale at that specific time.  

As Dan rightly says, as the Buyer you can always walk away - and this is the case whether you’re buying a car, a house, a painting or pretty much anything else in Life.  It’s also true that you can only buy what’s available for sale.  You can fritter away a lifetime of opportunities waiting for something better to come along.

Since we’re talking about Sales Events, we’re talking new cars. Well, if you’ve decided - after several time consuming test drives - that you know what you want and you know what you’re prepared to pay, what is the point of walking away because you didn’t get a few more hundred off?

Considering how long you’re going to have to wait for delivery, hoping you can negotiate a marginally better deal some time in the future, surely only means that you go without the Lexus you want for even longer.

And how much does that cost you?

8 hours ago, LenT said:

I may have this entirely wrong, but I find this a rather surprising assertion.  I thought it was well established that Dealers have regular incentivised sales targets which are financially beneficial to them if achieved.  

Which is why it pays them to take less profit on an individual sale at that specific time.  

As Dan rightly says, as the Buyer you can always walk away - and this is the case whether you’re buying a car, a house, a painting or pretty much anything else in Life.  It’s also true that you can only buy what’s available for sale.  You can fritter away a lifetime of opportunities waiting for something better to come along.

Since we’re talking about Sales Events, we’re talking new cars. Well, if you’ve decided - after several time consuming test drives - that you know what you want and you know what you’re prepared to pay, what is the point of walking away because you didn’t get a few more hundred off?

Considering how long you’re going to have to wait for delivery, hoping you can negotiate a marginally better deal some time in the future, surely only means that you go without the Lexus you want for even longer.

And how much does that cost you?

But the sales events tend to include used cars as well. More often than not, they transport lots of used stock from within their dealership group or Lexus UK and advertise it at the dealership with money off or dealer contributions. 

You're correct when you say they have sale targets and these are financially beneficial to them, but if you're buying a new car a week after the sales event has gone, you would still get the same deal. 

Obviously if its used then theres a chance itll get sold during that sales event

You may also notice that these events regularly take place just before, or soon after a new model is released - its a way of shifting a lot of stock 

• Like 1

When I had my test drive of a NX350h Takumi in Feb, then placed my order straight afterwards, it was not a sales event, but I still managed to negotiate a discount of £3,000 off the list price (prior to the £1,500 price increase the week after), so as of today I am now paying £4,500 less than the current list price. By the time I get my car, possibly 2023 at this rate, I suspect there will be at least one more price increase (maybe another £1,500?) so on paper I would be paying c. £6,000 less than list price when I take delivery,  so very happy with my timely choice.

When I purchased my IS300h Premier in 2013, again it was not an event, but I managed to negotiate a discount of £5,000 and they even ordered the car with a £1,000 optional sunroof but never charged me for it on the invoice !!

So in summary, you don't need a sales event to get a good deal, even from Lexus.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, imgo said:

so on paper I would be paying c. £6,000 less than list price when I take delivery,  so very happy with my timely choice.

I hope that they don't arbitrarily come along and just say ..  sorry, the car you ordered cannot now be delivered.  ...........  and your prior order effectively cancelled ..... OR have you paid a " holding deposit " maybe ??   Might be prudent to do so, especially with the  " security "  of a big name Main Dealer 

I'm not sure this is happening yet with the motor industry BUT it is quite widespread in others .......  ship cruises for instance ...... big names just arbitrarily cancelling and then a while later offering you a slightly changed or even similar cruise at a much bigger price ....... ( and even if one has paid an upfront deposit too ) ........  same happens with air tickets too I'm sad to say ....... and I know this from my own personal experiences ..........  dreadful business practices BUT it's happening with quite some regularity sadly

Malc

12 minutes ago, Malc said:

I hope that they don't arbitrarily come along and just say ..  sorry, the car you ordered cannot now be delivered.  ...........  and your prior order effectively cancelled ..... OR have you paid a " holding deposit " maybe ??

I would hope that Lexus UK, and the main dealer (part of the inchcape group) would honour my order contract and not cancel / vary it etc. I paid the standard £500 to secure the order, at the order price, no matter how many other price increases may come along.

Michael 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, imgo said:

I would hope that Lexus UK, and the main dealer (part of the inchcape group) would honour my order contract and not cancel / vary it etc. I paid the standard £500 to secure the order, at the order price, no matter how many other price increases may come along.

Michael 

I'd check that, rather than hoping.
Not cars, but long wait list Swiss watches, deposit paid, and they make it very clear that the balance, 6-8 months later, will be the RRP at the time of collection.

I would assume it will be the same case in this instance.
Personally, to be certain, I would email them so you have it in "writing"

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links