Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tough decision might sell already

Hey guys 

As everyone’s aware of the current state of the fuel prices I’m beginning to regret buying my F. With the tax also being so high I think maybe I was a bit foolish to buy it and maybe should have been more sensible.

I was just wondering what people thoughts are on what I would put it up for as the prices seem a bit high at the moment and Im not sure any are actual changing hands.

Mine is 

2010 (10) 102,300 miles full Lexus history New Mot just fitted new radiator and water pump. Overall condition is very good and I’ll be painting the bonnet and wings to sort out some big stone chips before being advised. 2 keys. Wheels are spotless 

4658208F-7ECC-4B62-97E0-B8001EECEABB.jpeg

• Sad 1

not my business to pry, but it looks like you have two cars, any chance you could not use the F as much, i just think you may regret selling it down the line.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wendle said:

not my business to pry, but it looks like you have two cars, any chance you could not use the F as much, i just think you may regret selling it down the line.

That’s my wife’s car who also needs it for work so can’t really use that. I could use the F less but I just feel like what’s the point. I like to use my cars daily, if only the tax was pay as you drive. £55 a month for it to sit on the drive is just nuts. 

I’ve only myself to blame I know.

I’ve had 4 is’s before and always fancied an F so at least it’s another box ticked I suppose. 

Give it a couple of weeks and I may change my mind you never know 

if it's " just "  the fuel price that is concerning then rest assured they will come down to more sensible levels at some time .........  possibly sooner than we might suspect ........  when the forecourts sales and Govt revenue "take"  collapses as people just, like you, don't refuel very much .............

and good heavy using monster cars will again be all the rage  ....  stick with it I say

Malc

• Like 2

yes i agree the road tax is very unfair if you dont do a lot of miles, my LC is coming up to 5 years old with less than 9k on the clock, just a shame you have waited so long to get one, yours looks very nice and i would be surprised is you had any problem in finding it another owner, 

I agree the Tax is unfair.

For me the insurance is around £100 cheaper my RS4, more reliable than all german rivals and better to drive.

Fuel is a pig BUT I try my best only to use the car for pleasure miles as I do have another car.

Honestly If there is a way to cut your usage down a little id explore that first. 

Fuel price will be an upward trend for a while then maybe it will come down a little.

Is urs a facelift car with a LSD etc?

Right now, I don't see a very rosy picture for any 5.0 V8.

People, without doubt will be cautious about buying an F car / LC. The price of fuel and tax are concerns. However, the bigger fear would be when it comes to sell the car - how many people will buy it? It may not be so much of an issue with the likes of an IS-F, but the higher priced RC-Fs and especially the LC, I can see difficult to shift. I don't accept the argument that those people that can afford such a car don't care. I personally have considered buying an LC, but I'm really concerned about when it comes to sell it a) What will it be worth  b) How easy will it be to sell.

Let's also not forget that a large chunk of the potential performance car buyers out there are mainly interested in performance figures and won't look outside of an M240, M2, A45 etc. I know when I was younger, all I did was look at 0-60 times!

Now would be the time to get out if you were thinking about it. As you say, you've ticked the box in essence. After this summers car events/ antics, my F will be SORN and live in the garage for a bit, going to be away a lot later in the year, so will run a more suitable dog-mobile over winter and then put the F back on the road when time comes.

Funnily enough, just had my tax reminder through in the post, always shed a small tear.

If you want out quick, head to a dealer and accept a lower price or stick it out for a bit on autotrader, seems to a few IS F's up for sale atm, maybe people with similar ideas. I remember when there were 1-2 floating about max!

1 hour ago, wendle said:

yes i agree the road tax is very unfair if you dont do a lot of miles, my LC is coming up to 5 years old with less than 9k on the clock, just a shame you have waited so long to get one, yours looks very nice and i would be surprised is you had any problem in finding it another owner, 

I agree road tax is a bit of a con, also when you consider the Government are collecting about 87p on every litre of fuel(duty VAT) it seems almost like highway robbery on the motorist at the moment.

Sorry to hear your plight OP as mentioned the market seems to be very reluctant for big engined cars to sell, but there are a lot of cars that in my opinion are well overpriced at the moment so difficult to draw a sensible conclusion.

One thing is for sure there is a s**t storm on the horizon (I know people have been predicting it coming for ages) but I feel things are about to become an awful lot worse sooner than later.

So selling now if you can may be a good plan.

1 hour ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

I agree the Tax is unfair.

For me the insurance is around £100 cheaper my RS4, more reliable than all german rivals and better to drive.

Fuel is a pig BUT I try my best only to use the car for pleasure miles as I do have another car.

Honestly If there is a way to cut your usage down a little id explore that first. 

Fuel price will be an upward trend for a while then maybe it will come down a little.

Is urs a facelift car with a LSD etc?

Not facelift no, think it’s the last of the pre facelifts 

• Like 1

There is a strange quirk with UK road tax.

Mine is a Japanese import and the road tax for these only has 2 bands below 1500cc and above 1501cc so I pay £295.00 for the year on a 2004 model year LS430 when for a UK car it’s emissions based at £360.00.

I would assume therefore that if you imported an ISF or RC the same would apply effectively more than halving the amount.

58 minutes ago, Rich1988 said:

Not facelift no, think it’s the last of the pre facelifts 

ok, either-way im sure you'll get what you paid for it. Ive never seen soo many ISF's for sale. Im guessing alot of owners are feeling the pinch, furthermore those who have owned there cars for a few years wont be loosing much by selling the car.

• Like 1

I got my tax renewal through yesterday, and was a bit surprised that it's gone up to £615 per year!

The newer RCFs with the GPF get really cheap road tax as well...

11 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

I got my tax renewal through yesterday, and was a bit surprised that it's gone up to £615 per year!

The newer RCFs with the GPF get really cheap road tax as well...

Just checked mine as it is a later model and I'm paying £42.87 per month via DD so in total £514.44

I just paid £630 road tax and only do about 2K "leisure" miles per year in the IsF.

Fortunately we have our "everyday" car, an IS200t. This is the one that bugs me on costs.

I just topped up with V power ( for the turbo's sake ) and paid £1.98 per litre AND it only does 26.5mpg; that's only 3 or 4 mpg better than the IsF.   

It all works out at about 40pence per mile just for fuel and tax and Insurance.

I have considered a SORN for the IsF because I think that once the dust settles and we go all electric then these cars will become more desirable after a brief panic drop in assumed value. Who knows?  

Look at he price of old Dodge Chargers and Challengers, you couldn't give them away at one time.

I still want one though🤪  

1969 DODGE CHARGER RT 440 AUTOMATIC FOR SALE

1969-dodge-charger-612dfd88c93e2.jpg?ar=16%3A9&auto=enhance%2Ccompress&fill=solid&fill-color=%23000000&fit=fill&h=2160&ixlib=php-3.3.1&q=100&w=3840&s=47560d9bea695f39851de894155effae

• £118,271 AS STATED

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GMB said:

I just paid £630 road tax and only do about 2K "leisure" miles per year in the IsF.

Fortunately we have our "everyday" car, an IS200t. This is the one that bugs me on costs.

I just topped up with V power ( for the turbo's sake ) and paid £1.98 per litre AND it only does 26.5mpg; that's only 3 or 4 mpg better than the IsF.   

It all works out at about 40pence per mile just for fuel and tax and Insurance.

I have considered a SORN for the IsF because I think that once the dust settles and we go all electric then these cars will become more desirable after a brief panic drop in assumed value. Who knows?  

Look at he price of old Dodge Chargers and Challengers, you couldn't give them away at one time.

I still want one though🤪  

1969 DODGE CHARGER RT 440 AUTOMATIC FOR SALE

1969-dodge-charger-612dfd88c93e2.jpg?ar=16%3A9&auto=enhance%2Ccompress&fill=solid&fill-color=%23000000&fit=fill&h=2160&ixlib=php-3.3.1&q=100&w=3840&s=47560d9bea695f39851de894155effae

• £118,271 AS STATED

I know what you mean, I've just booked my RCF in for it's annual service and I've only done 600 miles in a year since its last service. Must get out more.

• Like 1

I have just sold an LC500 V8 and got back very nearly what I paid for it 3 years ago.I spoke to a couple of main dealers and both were extremely keen to buy it for cash. I know that these cars are selling steadily even with the crazy fuel rip off.

Who knows what the future holds but having discussed this with all of my car pals,none of them are selling for any other reason than they have access to more than one nice car and are just not using one particular car enough.

A J.

• Like 3

One thing I’ve thought of is “Do we have to put super unleaded in our cars?” 
Since having it I’ve only put super in but may change to the standard if it’s ok. 

7 minutes ago, Rich1988 said:

One thing I’ve thought of is “Do we have to put super unleaded in our cars?” 
Since having it I’ve only put super in but may change to the standard if it’s ok. 

you dont have to however i did try it, nothing very scientific but it seemed to return a lower MPG

Meh, I replaced a 2l 50mpg diesel Mondeo with my isf 3.5 years ago. 

Despite the extra fuel/tax costs I don't regret it for a minute. 

Go on a roadtrip and your faith will be restored. 

Only thing I'd replace mine with would be another Lexus 5l. 

You should be able to get your money back, but I fear you may regret it at some point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spark plug said:

I run mine on super and get about 2mpg more and she goes better. Ran her on ordinary unleaded when I first got her last October 

I too have noticed an increase using super unleaded.  Had been getting around 24mpg but currently at approx 26.5mpg using super. Possibly works out cheaper to use it.

• Like 1

I've only every used Super Unleaded, mainly Vpower, but do sometimes stick in Tesco 99 Ron or Costco Super Unleaded.

Im average 24/25 mpg, I did average 35mpg driving to wales a few weeks ago doing around 65/70 mph.

I did notice after a proper service, plugs filters, all fluids including gearbox and diff the car just became more economical on fuel.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 11:53 AM, steve2006 said:

There is a strange quirk with UK road tax.

Mine is a Japanese import and the road tax for these only has 2 bands below 1500cc and above 1501cc so I pay £295.00 for the year on a 2004 model year LS430 when for a UK car it’s emissions based at £360.00.

I would assume therefore that if you imported an ISF or RC the same would apply effectively more than halving the amount.

Your taxation is pre 2001 rates as is my F, the emissions box wasn’t filled out, admin at DVLA didn’t pick up on it and a legal document was formed which is the logbook……. I was paying £230 when I first bought mine over 7 years ago, now it’s £24:50 a month (£295 a year)…. Just a fortunate cleric error… this is a huge factor in why I run a second car along side my F.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

I've only every used Super Unleaded, mainly Vpower, but do sometimes stick in Tesco 99 Ron or Costco Super Unleaded.

Im average 24/25 mpg, I did average 35mpg driving to wales a few weeks ago doing around 65/70 mph.

I did notice after a proper service, plugs filters, all fluids including gearbox and diff the car just became more economical on fuel.

I get 29mpg using bp ultimate. And I wouldn't use Tesco fuel 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links