Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potentially going from nx 200t to rx450h

Hi

I am considering going from my NX 200t  to an RX 450h

Just wondering if this is a wise move and if there are anything I should consider before I jump in.

I think road tax (VED) is the same but what about servicing, handling, performance, costs, anything else really that may not be obvious.  I have read that some people mention its a lot bigger and about an inch and a half wider.  Sitting at my desk with a ruler, an inch and a half is not much, though occasionally I have just about squeezed my NX (very stupidly) through some very tight spaces and that has put me off doing the same again and I am not going to try that with another car.  I am not sure it is that much longer either but I could be wrong.  

Performance I get 0-60 in 7 seconds and as for MPG, I get about 21-23 in local driving and about 34 on motorways.  How does the 450h compare

The RX is like an inverse TARDIS. It looks fairly big from the outside but it's not, it's just an optical illusion.

The RX is only 18mm longer than a Ford Mondeo - that's less than three quarters of an inch. It is also only 5mm wider - which is just under a quarter of an inch.

It's not that the RX is big; just that the NX is smaller. As the comparison with the Mondeo shows, the RX is 'family car-sized' so anybody with a driving licence should be able to handle it perfectly well.

This very dilemma was discussed just a little while ago:

EDIT:

Performance should never be discussed when referring to the RX. It's a luxury barge for wafting along and eating up the miles in complete serenity. We've had the car for about 15 months (previously had a 2005 RX300 and a 2013 RX450h Advance) and averaged 35mpg over that time. I neither know nor care about 0-60mph times but what I can say is that when I get in it it's like sitting in my favourite armchair and it never ceases to put a smile on my face :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You did not say whether you are considering moving to a 4th Generation, 2nd or 3rd Generation, the earlier cars being slightly smaller, the main  reason I am keeping mine.  It is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned, almost as fuel efficient as the 4th Generation iteration and would be considerably less expensive to purchase. Fuel comparison apart, both generation have similar acceleration which is adequate for this type of car and normal everyday.  The new version of the RX will only have a 4 cylinder engine, which is one reason why some owners will want to hang onto existing cars. I have driven an NX and it is a nice car but somehow the 2nd and 3rd Generation feel more upmarket.  I would expect the NX would be less expensive to run and service.

You really need to try the RX and decide for yourself!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’m thinking about jumping from BMW (2017 530d touring) to a 2017 RX450h and I have to say that the RX I test drove was head and shoulders above from a comfort point of view. Thank you for your perspectives as they have helped me too.

3 hours ago, Bumderer said:

I’m thinking about jumping from BMW (2017 530d touring) to a 2017 RX450h and I have to say that the RX I test drove was head and shoulders above from a comfort point of view. Thank you for your perspectives as they have helped me too.

Three years ago I migrated from a Merc S500 LWB (2000 and £84K new apparently!!) to our 2014 RX F-Sport.

Boy - two wholly different driving experiences. The Merc was slightly heavier, slightly quieter, but the overall driving experience of the RX is superior, sits higher on the road of course, but is supremely comfortable, reliable, and a dream to pilot around.

My wife feels equally comfortable driving it too - (and we're both 'crinkleys')

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:21 PM, Sybaris said:

Performance I get 0-60 in 7 seconds and as for MPG, I get about 21-23 in local driving and about 34 on motorways.  How does the 450h compare

At the weekend I did a 500 mile round trip in my 4th Gen RX and averaged around 40mpg, 34mpg is the long term average, with a hybrid you don't get such a variation between town driving and long trips.

0-60 is similar but much more relaxed cruising in the RX I suspect, I had cruise set to 70mph and engine is typically running between 1,200-1,500rpm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

At the weekend I did a 500 mile round trip in my 4th Gen RX and averaged around 40mpg, 34mpg is the long term average, with a hybrid you don't get such a variation between town driving and long trips.

0-60 is similar but much more relaxed cruising in the RX I suspect, I had cruise set to 70mph and engine is typically running between 1,200-1,500rpm.

95% of our driving is local (7 mile trips), (and all the outward journeys are uphill!) and our average this year is 32.2mpg (using E10 fuel). Though I do tend to drive with a light foot.

• Like 1

I'm getting about 37 mpg at the moment while the weather is warm. I usually get about 32 mpg in the winter, overall average is about 35 mpg over 10500-odd miles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

32 in the winter is not bad, none of my cars have ever managed that, normally low 20s for town driving.

And my figures above are for a 3series RX - the 4RX are more economical

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links