Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Annoying rattle

My ES has a rattle and it's driving me crazy. When l say a rattle it's more a low tic,tic,tic sound coming from the sunroof. It might do it on rough roads but it definitely does it on very smooth roads. It's very intermittent and might not do it for a couple of weeks but then again it might do it on every trip for a couple of weeks. It only does it when the sun roof is closed and l think it might have something to do with the wind deflector bar that presses down when the roof is closed because if I open the roof just 1 inch or so it stops. I have gone over the closing mechanism with a fine tooth comb and rocked the car but can't replicate the sound manually. I have lubricated the rubber with that stuff that members on here use but to no avail. The best way to explain it is if you could imagine a very tiny nut rolling around in the wind deflector bar. It's not due a service until December but l very much doubt any service guy would be interested in such a small thing. Any ideas or experiences???

You covered my guess by lubricating the rubber. Have you tried the manual sun shade, does closing or opening that make any difference? Is the noise at all temperature sensitive? Given how quiet the car is it would drive me nuts too.

10 minutes ago, peniole said:

You covered my guess by lubricating the rubber. Have you tried the manual sun shade, does closing or opening that make any difference? Is the noise at all temperature sensitive? Given how quiet the car is it would drive me nuts too.

All closing the sun shade does is to quiet the rattle slightly from hearing it, so no not that. It's definitely along the length of the front edge of the opening and not the glass door. I'm even thinking of getting a stethoscope to narrow it down to a specific spot, or am l loosing the plot here.

Had a similar rattle eminating from the roof lining last year. Turned out to be a rattling wire as clip had come undone. Fixed under warranty but it did take 2 trips to Leicester lexus. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 7:16 PM, george72 said:

Had a similar rattle eminating from the roof lining last year. Turned out to be a rattling wire as clip had come undone. Fixed under warranty but it did take 2 trips to Leicester lexus. 

I had the same on mine - didn’t need the roof liner completely removed, but they had the car in twice over a couple of days. Loose wiring clip drivers side front roof - clip replaced under warranty.

• Like 1

I have had 2 faulty sunroofs.

The first which could "chatter" was quickly sorted by Lexus Leicester whilst Lexus Coventry tried adjustments before replacing the unit. The closed roof could "Bop" on poor surfaces.

Record your noise & get Lexus to sort it.

Tel

• Like 4

On 6/16/2022 at 6:47 AM, Tel said:

I have had 2 faulty sunroofs.

The first which could "chatter" was quickly sorted by Lexus Leicester whilst Lexus Coventry tried adjustments before replacing the unit. The closed roof could "Bop" on poor surfaces.

Record your noise & get Lexus to sort it.

Tel

Good advice, never thought to record it. Recorded it today and called in to see the service manager who agreed it needs investigating and the car goes in on the 28th.

Betsy developed an annoying noise this week. I thought it was the passenger seat belt rattling between the seat and door (a common occurrence with my IS300H) but no, it wasn't that. I eventually discovered that it was a receipt which had fallen into the passenger seat crumb catcher area. Receipt was removed and Betsy's cabin returned to its former serene silence. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mincey said:

Betsy developed an annoying noise this week. I thought it was the passenger seat belt rattling between the seat and door (a common occurrence with my IS300H) but no, it wasn't that. I eventually discovered that it was a receipt which had fallen into the passenger seat crumb catcher area. Receipt was removed and Betsy's cabin returned to its former serene silence. 

Glad you sorted it. Mine goes in on Tuesday for investigation. This is a video I did to show the dealer the rattle. They confirmed they could hear it over the road noise, it's more of a tick, tick noise. BTW while my wife was doing the video l wasn't concentrating on my driving and got nicked for doing 59 in a 50 zone on a 'smart' section of the motorway.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mincey said:

I am impressed with the standard of your hearing, James.  😊

Of what material was this receipt constructed?

3 hours ago, LenT said:

I am impressed with the standard of your hearing, James.  😊

Of what material was this receipt constructed?

The rattliest of rattly paper @LenT 😄

• Haha 1

The car has been at the dealers today to sort out the rattle and on the return journey no rattle was heard so hopefully it's fixed. It got me thinking about who will foot the bill for the fix? Will the dealer invoice Lexus, how does it work? The service I got from the Bolton dealership today was impeccable yet again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How frustrating, mine had a rattle which Lexus Leicester sorted in one visit, they did seem to be aware of a problem with the grab handles although they said mine was to do with the door, mine didn’t sound at all like yours.

the problem with having a quiet relaxing comfortable car is every rattle/noise seems to be amplified.

I would really tell the dealer of your dissatisfaction, I had to regarding a problem with my wheels, all now sorted to my satisfaction after a few harsh words

14 minutes ago, Derant said:

How frustrating, mine had a rattle which Lexus Leicester sorted in one visit, they did seem to be aware of a problem with the grab handles although they said mine was to do with the door, mine didn’t sound at all like yours.

the problem with having a quiet relaxing comfortable car is every rattle/noise seems to be amplified.

I would really tell the dealer of your dissatisfaction, I had to regarding a problem with my wheels, all now sorted to my satisfaction after a few harsh words

It certainly is a strange noise. It now only does it on very smooth roads at all speeds but not all the time. If I travel on rough bumpy roads it's as quiet as a mouse. I can't seem to get this across to the dealer though.

I had a noise from day 1 that was best described as a Packet of crisps in the Glove Box.

My Dealer never doubted me & 4 months later Lexus replaced my car having loaned me a LWB LS 460 that they delivered to my door.

I had the new LS for c. 6 weeks touring Italy.

Lexus will sort it.

TEl

• Like 1

As well as rattles, any other wobbly bits?

my shark fin is not on tight and has some movement, plus the plastic threshold the bodycolour bit you step over to get in has  way too much flex in it for my liking.

On 7/9/2022 at 2:44 PM, Tonyw said:

As well as rattles, any other wobbly bits?

my shark fin is not on tight and has some movement, plus the plastic threshold the bodycolour bit you step over to get in has  way too much flex in it for my liking.

Yes, there is movement of the shark fin but no more than I would expect. The threshold flexes quite a bit more than I would expect too. The rattle has been sorted again, but this time I went out with the tech guy and he found the problem as we drove along. The steel frame of the sunroof was vibrating against the corresponding frame in the roof. So hopefully all sorted.

• Like 2