Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is250 exhaust issues

Georgerogs

So having recently done a brake overhaul I knew my exhaust would soon be next. I've been getting the cat efficiency code for a while but I've put it down to a leak somewhere that I just couldn't find. The car has been louder and a definite burble from somewhere near the front. Couple of days ago back box snaps off. I've put it back on with a repair piece and paste but I can't see it holding for long. Anyway, when I was running the car after doing this repair I spotted fumes coming from the join from the front cats to the centre pipe. sealed that up with paste too but it's getting silly now. 

The cost of the rear and centre piece are around £600-£700 for both from what i've found on eBay etc I was just wondering if anyone has just tried making their own? I watched a YouTube video where a guy from the US had bought a universal kit with plenty of straight and pre-bent sections and he just measured, cut and welded it all together. The only issue I could see would be the cats and the holes for the o2 sensors. Can you just cut the cats out and incorporate them into a new exhaust somehow or weld in new ones? Are cats specific to the car? Lots of questions I'm sorry but for me buying some tubing, a MIG welder (I have no experience of using these but can see they are around the £150 mark) and cats/ back boxes seems to work out much cheaper than buying off the shelf parts. I have no doubt it would be a nightmare but I would love to give it a go. What does everyone think? seems like most people just pay the crazy prices to me.

Hi George. I can't remember the name of the place but there's a highly recommended place in Leeds that makes custom exhausts. Stainless Steel too but some don't like that because of a natural drone but I believe it can be tuned out. Look on here as there's a good few threads about exhausts.

1 minute ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi George. I can't remember the name of the place but there's a highly recommended place in Leeds that makes custom exhausts. Stainless Steel too but some don't like that because of a natural drone but I believe it can be tuned out. Look on here as there's a good few threads about exhausts.

Its called Tony Banks they have a great reputation of making quality custom exhausts. 

• Like 1

I would say that unless you are qualified welder and making exhaust is your hobby, there is no way you can make it yourself for less that £700 considering how many tools and consumables you need.

I would go for custom made exhaust rather than one from eBay, but I would advise to avoid SS because of drone. Yes it is possible to make it not to drone, but it generally does. Custom made exhaust costs about the same as the one from eBay so really no reason not to do it, except maybe convenience. 

52 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

thank you, i've messaged them will update when they reply

So they pretty much replied straight away with a cost of £659 from primary cats back or £479 for half using ss and a choice of noise and tailpipe. I gotta say thats a great price with a lifetime guarantee isn't it? My repair has held up so far today but when I gather the funds I'll be going to these guys. thanks for the recommendation guys !

• Like 3

On 6/25/2022 at 10:40 AM, Texas said:

Did the topic of Drone come up when they were discussing the lifetime ss option?

Only that I could chose a system that was completely silent if I wanted. They offer varying degrees of sporty tone but I expect the drone would be too much especially with the auto box.   Something I’ll have to ask about when the time comes 

Not sure auto makes any difference for drone, it is more of inherent feature of the material itself - stainless just amplifies sound (rings) rather than absorb it like mild steel. So SS exhaust in particular has to be well engineered to reduce or eliminate it. I have no experience with Tony Banks so I can't say, but most aftermarket SS exhaust have a drone around 2000-3000 rpm. Is it possible to use SS and eliminate the drone? Yes absolutely, and perhaps there are companies who have found ways of doing it.