Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible power steering issue

Hello,

Noticed when I started my cat yesterday and slightly turned the steering wheel a strange vibrating and whining noise. Will ring the mechanic on Monday but was curious what it might be?

Thanks,

Dave.

19 minutes ago, Davearia said:

Noticed when I started my cat yesterday and slightly turned the steering wheel a strange vibrating and whining noise.

Don't know about the cat 😉

But you could check the power steering fluid level in your car.

You can edit your own post by clicking on the 3 dots at top right of your post and then pressing edit which enables you to do so.  What I have not found a way of doing on this forum is to be able to completely withdraw a post without leaving an indication I had made one.

I am not sure of the system on your car but any leaks could mean air is introduced which might be cause of vibration.  I remember changing the oil on my old V6 2.5 Camry which had a conventional power steering system.  On this to the best of my memory, I had to jack the front wheels off the ground and turn steering several times from lock to opposite lock to remove air out the system. I don't remember if the car had to be running or not (it was back in the late nineteen eighties) but most likely with engine running).  I did the job according to Toyota workshop manual and it worked fine afterwards.

52 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

You can edit your own post by clicking on the 3 dots at top right of your post and then pressing edit which enables you to do so.

Only within a one-hour limit Barry. You have to be a Gold Member to get unlimited edit time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I've noticed my PAS not working and noisy for a few seconds after cold starts recently.  Had a dig at it yesterday and it looks like the PAS pipe that runs down the drivers side chassis leg has corroded through and is porous.  Going by the fluid gathered on the undertrays it's probably been an issue for a while.

Has anyone replaced this?  Looks like it could be a bit awkward for access.

Also I think it's number 44416 in this diagram:

LEXUS RX300 330 350GSU35R-AWAGKW - POWERTRAIN-CHASSIS - POWER STEERING TUBE | Japan Parts EU (japan-parts.eu)

Is anyone able to confirm for sure?

Many thanks again,

Jay

It's a bit difficult confirming that that is the correct pipe that is leaking on yours, as you are the only one that has seen it...!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So my mechanic suggested trying this. Had it in the system for about 2 weeks and nothing improved. Rang him on over the weekend and he said there was some other stuff he used previous that worked. Went round Monday and he removed some of the hydraulic oil and put this Lucas powered steering treatment additive.

Must admit as the first on didn't work I was cynical. Spent 5 minutes turning the wheel left to right etc. It's perfect like new 👍

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 7:40 PM, Barry14UK said:

Thank you Herbie, I was unaware of the restriction no doubt as I am a Gold Member.

Pure Gold, Barry  💖

32 minutes ago, Davearia said:

Must admit as the first on didn't work I was cynical. Spent 5 minutes turning the wheel left to right etc. It's perfect like new 👍

Fingers crossed!    Excellent news Dave, hope this resolves the issue.

(I can't help but wonder how the 'remedy' works, and if there's a downside to it

On 7/10/2022 at 10:34 AM, Haylands said:

It's a bit difficult confirming that that is the correct pipe that is leaking on yours, as you are the only one that has seen it...!!

Unfortunately access is tight and the diagram isn't great Peter. 

Thought someone may have encountered the pipe on the drivers side chassis leg rusting before so figured I'd ask before I get balls deep in power steering fluid 😄

Because I can see the porous metal I'd prefer to replace it rather than add treatment, don't fancy pushing the problem down the road as it were.

Will update if/when I get an answer!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links